The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help - Viscous coupling for LT35 1st generation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help - Viscous coupling for LT35 1st generation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help - Viscous coupling for LT35 1st generation
    Posted: 21 Jan 17 at 15:54
Hi all,

I'm here to see if anyone can help revive my LT35 2.4L Diesel (1992 model) 70 Cvx which has just broken down because the fan wheel got detached and fell into the radiator.

I've been able to find a guide to the engine (http://www.realoem.me/Volkswagen/RDW/LT/1992/109/R/1/121/15000#5), and most parts for that, but I am missing the viscous coupling (5C on this guide).

The issue is that there are six available options (VW refs 073121350A, 073121350C, 075121350D, 075121350E, or 075121350F). Unfortunately the existing piece has fallen off, so how can I know which is the correct one for my engine? Does it even make a difference? And any idea where these might be available? They seem to have been discontinued since 15 years, and the only ones I found online were shipped from Germany at a very high cost...

Many thanks in advance for your help, cheers,

Robin

PS: apologies for the double post, not sure where the best place for this is...?

quickie1971 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quickie1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 19 at 08:39
Hi there  did you have any luck with this?
I am trying to find info on how to remove said viscous fan and this is as close as I have got to a relevant post.
Any advice would be greatly received.
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 19 at 09:53
viscous fan seams to be engine specific so you need the engine code
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quickie1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 19 at 12:07
mine is a DL prefix, I believe
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 19 at 12:50
1991 do engine code should have a 073121350A marked yellow
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 19 at 12:51
sorry 1991DL  it should say
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 19 at 12:58
to remove it it should be held on by a 10mm multi point socket head bolt according to diagram,just looking by don't know as I've not seen one
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quickie1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 19 at 13:10
thank you for your help.
Can honestly say I didn't see that, took pics with phone, will try again with shaving mirror and torch.
Thanks again for your help
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 19 at 13:20
before you buy a spline tool make sure it's not been changed for an Allen hex bolt as it may have been changed before,once off the coupling  has the fan bolted on from the rear
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 19 at 13:57
1on eBay correct part £350 Eastern Europe others £60 may fit,I presume they kick in at different temperatures may not be an issue if not being worked hard,you probably know the engine was also used in volvos 260 760 960 similar years
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quickie1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 19 at 18:21
thank you, I dont need a new one, I just need to remove this one, undamaged, to get to bottom pulley bolt, so I can change the cambelt. Thanks again for all your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply