Should I buy this T4?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I buy this T4?
    Posted: 05 Jan 17 at 13:32
OK.....I'll wade in :) 

First...1.9 or 1.9TD ? There is a difference that's worthwhile taking into a consideration.  Having had both the 1.9TD and the 2.5TDi i'd agree with Jase that the 2.5 is the go to engine, however the 1.9TD can go well with some fettling.  

Other things not mentioned are whether it is a 'named' conversion or a home brew. Named will fetch higher resale values and are *in theory* better put together. 

The lap belts could be an issue. If it is a converted panel van then you will need to remove panels and fit proper mounting points into either the C Pillar or back section. 

Is the rock and roll bed steel and fixed *well* to the floor ? And I mean right through with spreader plates....if not 3 point belts are useless anyway.

Rust on the sills and arches will warrant a very good look as the paint can hide a lot of rot here. 

Without pictures. My personal opinion is that it is a lot for what is described and I see potential issues. 

But...I haven't seen it. 
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
Chester1066 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chester1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 21:08
Ah, ok thanks a lot :)

lambretta lee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lambretta lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 18:19
Originally posted by Chester1066 Chester1066 wrote:

Thanks Lambretta Lee - this van does have 5 gears (is that what you meant?!)
Incidentally do you know if you can fit a double passenger seat in any t4?

Nope 
Have a read
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chester1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 18:12
Thanks Lambretta Lee - this van does have 5 gears (is that what you meant?!)
Incidentally do you know if you can fit a double passenger seat in any t4?

lambretta lee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lambretta lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 18:08
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

Personally I'd not touch a 1.9
The 2.5 tdi is the one to have.
Each to their own ,I had a 1.9 with an intercooler and longer 5th gear and it was spot on ... 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chester1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 10:20
Thanks 912, thats really helpful. I have heard that the bigger engine is preferable but wasn't sure if 1.9's were really not worth it all (a bit like what I've heard with 1.6 T3s - no oomph at all). 
Thanks again

912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 10:04
£4100 is cheap for a T4 camper, 1.9turbo Diesel is a good engine, reliable basic and goes on for miles, no major issues with them, lots of people prefer the bigger engine but they are more expensive to fix than the 1900s, if there's no major rust then it sound a bargain to me, windscreens aren't to expensive
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chester1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 09:01
Any more opinions on this? Id really appreciate the help - and maybe and idea why the 1.9 is so bad?! Im trying to make more of an informed decision as to whether or not to buy the van - I don't know the going rate for T4's, only T3s really - so any help would be great.
Thanks
Emma
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chester1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 17 at 22:55
Why is that? Is it completely under powered?
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 17 at 22:14
Personally I'd not touch a 1.9
The 2.5 tdi is the one to have.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chester1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 17 at 19:16
Also, about the seatbelt situation! Again, i realise this topic has probably been exhausted, but I fitted 3 point belts that I bought from JK in my T3...
But I can't see mounting points in this T4.  Im aware that there are several companies that will retro fit.  Has anyone had experience with them? As the seatbelts will be a big clincher as to whether I buy this T4 or not.
Thanks x
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chester1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 17 at 19:13
Hi there,
Having previously had a VW hightop 1983 and a 1990 Caravelle T3, today I went to view a T4 hightop.

Feel really nervous about buying it because although I know bits and pieces, I'm no expert, so wondered if I could ask some advice from all the guru's here ? :D I'd really appreciate it Star

So this is what I know:
T4 1991 1.9 diesel hightop- 178,000 on the clock, but she told me it had a recon engine at 90,000 miles. She's owned it for only 1.5 years and needs the money now.
Fridge, hob, grill, running water, rock n roll bed (only has lap seatbelts so Id have to get 3 point ones installed). All interior is in very good condition. Has Fiamma wind out awning.
Exterior wise, paintwork is shiny blue (not sure if its covering stuff, hard to tell but looked like original paint) - gutters all seem good, front wheel arch is bubbling and one seam on the right hand side. Some rust I can see underneath, just where the fridge and water butt sits but can't see anything else. Tires all round look good. I felt all carpets inside, including ceiling and couldnt find any damp/wet patches.
MOT until July 2017.
Has crack in windscreen which is a small U shape - hasn't affected the MOT apparently, but Id like to get that sorted if it was me.
Really hard to see under the rubber floor mats but had a look around and can't see anything hugely awful.
Took a torch and looked underneath - floor pan looks OK to me (but again, I'm a novice!).

Drawback was when I arrived the windscreen was misted inside, which might suggest damp. Owner said they'd not used it since October and it had been just sitting there. Turned up and the battery was flat...she hadn't taken my number so couldnt tell me this, as we had been corresponding via email.
She offered for her teenage sons to bump start it...but I didnt want that!
She's asked if id go back to view in the week, when her mechanic will get battery charged. (obviously alarm bells went when I can't even see the engine running!).

She's asking 4,100 for it.

I know its a bit like 'how long is a piece of string' but any advice would be really gratefully received, constructive or brutal!!

Thanks all x

Post Reply Post Reply