The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jx wont start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jx wont start
    Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 18:47
Hello all and xmas!

My JX is having some starting issues, it's completely dead, it's an intermittent fault that's got worse. The battery is good, the starter motor and solenoid are both new and I've just put a brand new ignition switch in today but alas the problem persists.

Any ideas where to look next? The wires on the alternator appear to be good, it's just been in the garage for the glow plugs to be repaired, all the dash LEDs come on with the ignition but dead when I try to fire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 19:11
Run a big fat earth cable from the starter to the chassis. The earth path often gets disrupted when you change the starter. I ran a cable from the starter to the negative on the battery and it sparked and then has worked ever since. The cable was only need once?

Edited by ob1 - 23 Dec 16 at 19:12
rob1927 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 16 at 00:29
Cheers ob1 I'll have a look tomorrow. Is the starter circuit completely independant of the glow plug circuit? I know the ignition triggers both the glow plugs and the starter but is the starter circuit completely separate?
rob1927 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 16 at 00:58
Is there a relay in the starter circuit that shuts off the lights, radio etc to allow full current to the starter? If so could this be possibly knackered?

I had someone try to start the van whilst I was at the engine bay, I could hear a relay clicking which I'm certain is for the glow plugs, I could also hear the aux water pump kicking in whilst the key was fully turned.
rob1927 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 17 at 19:23
It seems to be fine now, I disconnected the big earth from the battery to the gearbox and gave everything a good clean and all seems well.

Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply