The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ - T3 Panel Van - Engine Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adez389 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAZ - T3 Panel Van - Engine Questions
    Posted: 09 Nov 16 at 15:56

Hi all,

Not an upgrade as such (yet). But my oil filter and oil cooler (standard oil cooler) keeps coming loose!

Looking around this could be due to an oil pressure issue? I assembled the cooler and new filter to correct torque according to Haynes manual so I am surprised it's come loose again.

Has anybody got any advice on this issue? Shall I fit a pressure gauge so I can monitor whether its pressure that is causing this?

Many thanks,

Adrian

Edited by Adez389 - 02 Apr 17 at 10:15
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 16 at 19:55
It's a massive nut yes? 32mm I guess it's the oil lubricating the nut.

What torque you using?

Maybe take of the housing and degrease it really throughly and then reassemble?
Mine have never come loose and I just did them up tight ish on a ½" socket?
Adez389 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adez389 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 16 at 11:38
Thanks for your reply, I checked the cooler/filter had come loose and it hadn't after all. Hence the oil isn't leaking from there.

It's all around the sump gasket joint which leads me to think it may need a sump gasket. My quest to find the ideal gasket on the internet hasn't really provided anything conclusive.

There seem to be 2 gasket options:

- A rubber gasket
- A rubber gasket with a baffle. To complicate things further it sounds like this type would need different/longer sump bolts - although nowhere seems to reveal exactly what type/length of bolt is needed, or give the VW part number, at this stage I have no idea what length bolts are/have been used on the van currently. Also it suggests this type needs the oil pump to be removed, and is recommended to be replaced at the same time?

Obviously the oil may be leaking from elsewhere - I've not found a suitable day to really check conclusively.

The dipstick tube is loose in the block - its just rattly in there. I popped a copper washer and rubber O-ring from brickwerks in in an attempt to solve that but it has made no difference and basically just got the copper washer stuck. Ideally I'd like to machine a knurled brass or aluminium sleeve to press in but haven't got the time just now. I'm considering chemical metal for the time being? (Or is that a really really bad idea....?) The tube doesn't seem like a legitimate dipstick tube anyway, I wish I could find a supplier of a plug and play tube that would just fit correctly!

The van is chucking oil out pretty bad so I've barely used it for weeks now. I don't really have capacity to be able to throw a lot of time at it so just need to solve this as best as I can with a few hours chucked at it here and there.

Please help :)

Thanks very much,

Adrian

Edited by Adez389 - 16 Nov 16 at 11:40
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 16 at 21:55
Just use the rubber gasket. You don't need the windage tray one.

Dip stick will need a metal sleeve making up to actually fit the whole. The JX one is too small.
I always drilled out the original AAZ dipstick tube as sleeve and then wedged the JX one through that.
They don't actually fit so the rubber washer is useless.
Not sure why this is never mentioned but it is defo the case.
Adez389 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adez389 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 16 at 12:11
So I've not really made any progress solving this oil leak....
I've been using the van rarely and leaving a small puddle where ever I park up.

I think the rocker cover is leaking a bit as well.

I could have an overfilled engine, the lack of a useable dipstick is making this difficult.

My plan is to change:

- sump gasket
- rocker cover gasket
- oil cooler flange to block gasket

Does anyone have any suggestions of any others to change while I am there?

Also, completely noob question (I've never owned a diesel before). What is the part that is assembled in the same place as a distributor on a GTI 8v?

I've tried hunting the net for an answer and I'm not finding one anywhere.....

Cheers,

Adrian
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 16 at 12:32
Originally posted by Adez389 Adez389 wrote:

Also, completely noob question (I've never owned a diesel before). What is the part that is assembled in the same place as a distributor on a GTI 8v?

Thats the vacuum pump, makes sure the servo assist has vacuum in it.  It's driven from the idler shaft and has a keyway in the base to also drive the oil pump
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Adez389 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adez389 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 17 at 22:52
Hi, by looking at this picture is anyone able to tell whether this is the 'good' pump or not?

There's a whole lot of talk on the forums about some being better than others but never an explanation or pictures as to why.

Thank you

Edited by Adez389 - 01 Apr 17 at 23:10
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 17 at 16:52
Pump looks to be good :) wire that lower spade
Terminal to your start solanoid so it get 12v feed.. I think it's
Better to have it like that / I think it as a little advance so better for power at higher revs?

Rocker covers can be a pain to get dry. Making sure your pressed cover is isn't warped is a good start... then they bottom out on the tightening studs so adding a few washer can get a little more pressure on the seal.

It's worth checking the leak isn't from the camshaft seal. Mine was and I spent ages messing around with my rocker cover until I realised! You can slack off the timing belt and drop the camshaft sprocket off and the end cap to change that seal. It's a bit fiddly and you have to be careful not to jump teeth with the timing belts and you have to reset the crankshaft timing anyway.
Adez389 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adez389 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 17 at 08:06
Hi,

Thanks for the reply (that's a relief that the pumps a good one). I've tried looking all over the pump to find the lower spade, for some reason I'm just not seeing it....!?

There is a disconnected wire to the right and down at the back of the pump (top rightish sort of area as you look at it in the picture, but mostly obscured from view in the picture). Is that where you mean?

The good news is I think I have truly found where the majority of oil is coming from - the oil filter housing to block joint! I was doubtful it was this, and back last year I had the gasket but opted not to do it (weather/light etc) and yesterday I nearly gave up as one of the cap head bolts rounded in a nice awkward place, fortunately a nicely sharpened pry bar and a club hammer got it turning.

I'll replace the gasket and use some new bolts - torqued to 25Nm tonight.

I have done the 20 sump bolts up to 12Nm (in a criss cross pattern) which I repeated a few times and will repeat tonight to overcome any compression set in the rubber gasket (I have subsequently seen on the net these should be 13Nm?). If anyone is able to confirm this that would be very helpful.

I have misplaced my mk3 Golf Haynes manual which is a nuisance, hence I have attempted to find the correct torque values on the net. Please shout up if you have one or think these are wildly wrong.

My parcel should arrive from Brickwerks today with a new down pipe to silencer (mines rotten!) and a set up uprated radius rod bushes (mine are knackered!) and a few gaskets (mine are rubbish!) and finally some actual goodies - a set of tinted indicators (my current ones are clear and look horrible!) and a replacement set of wind deflectors - (my passenger one came off :().

I'm driving the van on its maiden voyage after all this work up to Sheffield (from Hinckley) tomorrow to collect my adapted full width RnR bed from M1camperbeds (I've requested a raised back).

It *might* be suitable for use this summer :)

Thanks all,

Adrian

Edited by Adez389 - 04 Apr 17 at 08:07
Adez389 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adez389 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 17 at 08:32
Hi,

Can anyone pin point the 'lower spade' that OB1 talks of? I can't see it.

I have fitted a new exhaust downpipe to the van (custom routing to copy the other custom routing that had rotten through by effectively cutting and shutting a piece of exhaust from brickwerks). And the thing violently shakes on idle, I am thinking of welding another mount part way along it to better retain it, but before I do that I think the idle might be to high?

I've not really found a conclusive guide as to which screw adjusts the idle (I confess I haven't actually tried adjusting anything on the pump yet)

Please help.

Thanks,

Adrian
 Post Reply Post Reply