The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ Tuning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAZ Tuning
    Posted: 21 Oct 16 at 03:00

Hi,

A newbie looking for some advice on tuning my AAZ engine, any help greatly appreciated.

So I got my hands on a recently rebuilt aaz engine and plan to fit it to my t3 but was hoping to get a few more bhp out if it without sacrificing reliability.

So this is my plan:

-stick with the Garrett T15 turbo that came with it and make an exhaust ( thinking this smaller turbo might give boost at lower revs but hope its no too restrictive) or else go with the kkk turbo that came originally on my 1.6TD.

-change the boost pin – I’ve read that some people use the 1.6td boost pin but is this the standard one that came with the 1.6 or is it a gtd boost pin?

-up the boost a few psi and adjust the fuel screw a little

-Intercooler - cant decide whether or not to fit an intercooler, I have one and all for the job but wonder if there’s much to be gained considering the limited places to mount one with decent airflow.

I’m also toying with the idea of getting a new stainless exhaust made up as the standard one is a little worse for wear so this should be less restrictive too.

What sort of BHP would ye recon I could achieve from a setup like this?

I realize that this has been covered a lot on other posts but cant seem to find much info for milder aaz mods as most seem to be looking for larger bhp gains. Also I’m a little concerned on the suitability of the T15 turbo. Just looking for a little more power without having black smoke bellowing from the exhaustLOL.

Thanks,

ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 16 at 07:47
1) oil cooler
2) decent intercooler / charge cooler
3) waste gate / boost pin / more fuel
5) EGT gauge / bigger turbo / bigger injectors / tweaked pump

Change that order round much and you'll just shorten the life expectancy of your motor!

That said I just screwed the waste gate of my AAZ turbo closed / tweaked
up the fuel and put as much advance on the fuel pump as it seems to like.

Defiantly made a noticeable difference but the heat is the danger.
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 16 at 21:02
Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 16 at 20:53
Cheers for the replies,

-Didnt think of an oil cooler but would it really be necessary for only mild engine mods?
-Probably will fit a small intercooler down beside the gearbox on the left, just hope it gets decent airflow. Anyone know where you can source a cheap charge cooler, they seem pricey?
-will change the boost pin alright, is the one in the link the one you fitted to your own GavB95? Any issues with overfueling (black smoke) ?
-An EGT guage might be a good call alright, would be good to see what these mods do to exhaust temperatures and to be able to keep them at an acceptable temperature.

Anyone have any expierence with the T15 turbo on an aaz?
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 16 at 22:13
That Boost pin's the same as I've got in mine and hasn't caused any black smoke etc. Its a good while since I fitted it (3years/15,000 miles) but I remember it feeling more pokey through the rev range. It's dirt cheap so if for any reason you don't like it swap it back to standard.

P.s I've got a front mounted oil cooler on mine, it can get pretty hot back there in the engine bay so I'd say it's worth fitting one either up front or tucked under the floor.
Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 16 at 00:55
Yeah, it's s cheap upgrade so gona give it a go.

After doing some more research I think ye're right on the oil cooler. Didn't think heat was such an issue. The brickwerks setup looks nice but it's expensive. I assume I could get an oil cooler from a scrapyard and fit that near the engine with a thermostatic sandwich plate.
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 16 at 11:39
IMHO you'll need the oils cooler rad up infrount of the main rad to do much good?
You can fit your own kit cheaper than the brickwerks kit - if you're happy fettling a little.

Brickwerks kit is just plug and play.
 Post Reply Post Reply