The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can it be done?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can it be done?
    Posted: 08 Oct 16 at 23:33
Had a thought can a front bench on a T3 be put on a swivel base? It would only turn side ways but was thinking would add loads of space when parked up?

I have a bench and swivel base so am tempted to try it.

Has anyone done it?
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 16 at 19:27
How you gonna support the back of the bench? sure there's enough room to swing it? 
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 16 at 21:02
The bench is already modified to be free standing. So currently it just sits on the standard seat rails etc.

In my head it all works out. Just wondering if could be done? Or has been done
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 16 at 21:43
anythings possible i spose, never had a swivel base in front of me, will it support the overhang of the bench?
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 16 at 22:18
what about them flip seats they used to do in some old splitty conversions

only pic i could find in a bay

might be a better idea
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 16 at 23:05
I was thinking the same...
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 16 at 13:57
Yeah i like that!
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 16 at 14:57
That does look the nuts. But I've just brought a set of captain seats and a bench. And they getting retrimmed in two weeks.

Imagine my misses face if I told her I've changed what I'm doing 😬 Lol.

I might just fit the swivel base and bench and see what happens. Just don't know how to get them dam runners off without destroying the floor
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 16 at 16:43
runners are easy chap, held on with spot welds, clean up area between ridges and you'll see them..  Use a spot weld drill bit and go easy, they come off with little damage
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 16 at 17:22
Flip seats with a handbrake in the way?
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 16 at 17:30
Fit a bay handbrake.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 16 at 18:13
Not very easy tho is it?
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 16 at 18:22
Relocate the handbrake 15"
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 16 at 16:25
them flip seats mightr look pretty when don right. bet they are uncomfortable tho
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 16 at 21:38
So. I had a go at drilling the spot welds out. Drilled three straight through the wheel arch lol. Thinking maybe just angle grind them off?

The bench and captain seat are off to be retrimmed so when they back I'll get it all set up and take a few pictures of it all works out.
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 16 at 22:12
you'd be better off using a spot weld bit LOL you can knock down the edges of a drill bit to make do though to save drilling all the way through! 
you could try grinding but there not very forgiving if you go off track 

Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 16 at 12:25
I been using a 6mm spot weld bit. Still somehow going straight through. They are a proper ball ache trying to remove. VW done a decent job getting them on
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 16 at 16:04
Ignore that then! Try drilling still but not as deep and use a chisel to try and break it away before you go all the way through, You got use of a power file? 
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 16 at 20:14
No power file. Only really got basic tools etc.

I put a chisel on my Bosch drill and went nuts with it. Wouldn't budge. It's the first one of two so I'm guessing it will be the hardest then I'll get a decent method for the other one.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 16 at 00:18
got a MIG?

drill them through oversize then puddle weld the holes with a piece of copper or iron or alloy clamped on the underside.  grind back
 Post Reply Post Reply