The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diesel engine Upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel engine Upgrades
    Posted: 24 Sep 16 at 16:13
I am running a 1.9 golf diesel engine. The van fits all needs but one. I now need to travel longer distances (2000miles fortnightly)faster and smoother . I don't want to change my van to a t4/5. I am hoping a new engine might do the trick. Can it be done with a diesel? are there any well known and respected mechanics known for doing a good job???. Many thanks.    
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 16 at 17:32
buy a car

seriously......1000 miles a week will kill the van no matter what the engine is, with the servicing and replacement parts cost it would be a very big ask for a T3 to do 52000 miles a year

a small cheap car would be a much better option in the long term taking in fuel and maintenance costs
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 16 at 18:13
^ WHS
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Astrid View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 16 at 22:29
SORRY DELETE A ZERO FROM THAT,Embarrassed 200 MILE JOURNEY (4HRS IN THE VAN) EVERY FORTNIGHT.
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 16 at 23:04
thats a bit better

i used to do a 150 mile round trip on a friday and the same again 48 hours later on the sunday to have my daughter every other weekend and my old jx was fine pushing the bungalow along
got a tdi in it now but dont make the trips anymore

what do you mean by 'faster and smoother' ? an engine change wont make it drive like a modern golf  
Astrid View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 16 at 00:29
I mean 80mph without sounding like it might blow up.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 16 at 06:29
if you're sticking diesel then you'll need a TDi and a few grand thrown into the gearbox as well.
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
syncroandy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 16 at 09:54
80mph ? In a T3 ?

Methinks you have the wrong vehicle..

'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.
Astrid View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 16 at 20:53
OK I just thought I'd ask, I was thinking a couple of grand but if it's that on a gearbox not including engine and installation, it wouldn't make sense.

SYNCHRO CANDY:I didn't think 80mph was too much to ask when I read about people having to upgrade their brakes and stuff. I can sit at  70mph on a recon golf engine with a missing turbo, it feels ok but the hum from the engine sends you a bit def after a while.

Thanks all for contributing I'll have to use the car, nothing like coming out the ocean in November and wriggling out of soaked wetsuit in a  crappy little hatchback.

ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 16 at 08:14
Just turbo the 1.9?

Stick some tall tires on it and job done.

My AAZ will run at 75 - 80 on the flat happily.

Revs at 3.8K and is a little thirsty but I'd happily
drive 200 miles in it every 2 weeks. - more at 65 70 though.

Realistically: to run at a steady 80 you need a tuned intercolled td or tdi
And a rebuilt box. No doubt.
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 16 at 20:40
if you can do 70 now...then experimenting with bigger back tyres may give decent results but may also bring problems lower down the rev range

as has been said you could turbo the engine you have

the biggest problem is not the van at all, its the fact you 'need' to do 80, no road law lecture from me but i am concerned that 70 is not enough. we all have busy lives , work, hobbies, families and the hours provided are sometimes not enough to fit everything in but to start planning trips that require you to be able to do 80 is not the best way to solve the problem

maybe fit interior sunscreens to the car or take out the passenger seat to aid changing ? 
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 16 at 20:52
200 miles at 50 mph. If you can do 80, at best it I'll only cut 15 minutes off your journey time, so 6 hours a year.

Is it worth £2k plus to get you 6 hours a year?

Bear in mind if you increase the power, you need to increase the brakes..... the pd conversion on Keith bus cost +£7k.....
nic View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 16 at 12:26
Originally posted by fufflenarnia fufflenarnia wrote:

200 miles at 50 mph. If you can do 80, at best it I'll only cut 15 minutes off your journey time, so 6 hours a year.

Is it worth £2k plus to get you 6 hours a year?

Bear in mind if you increase the power, you need to increase the brakes..... the pd conversion on Keith bus cost +£7k.....

your maths is off, 200 miles @ 50 mph is 4 hours, at 80mph is only 2.5 hours.

not condoning driving at 80 mph though.

http://www.fosterandday.co.uk
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 16 at 13:15
It will need a hell of a lot of power to get to 80 with instant aceleration and a complete change of UK roads to keep their for 200 miles.

My maths isn't off, the suggestion was an increase from 70 to 80 mph, over 200 miles, at best that would be 21 minutes, but let's be realistic, you would only gain anything near that on an empty road with no acceleration or braking time.

Remember it is a van not dragster.

Edited by fufflenarnia - 30 Sep 16 at 13:19
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 16 at 23:00
What's with the old man attitude guys?!?

Astrid, just do what you want. it's probably worth living with the van as is for the winter, then you won't have to rush anything and can buy the bits when they come up at reasonable prices.

DIY is definitely the way to go for long term t3 ownership! Mines an AAz with flipped audi gearbox, all bought at reasonable cost and working well, sits comfortably at 75, can sit at 80-85 but to be honest does get noisy.

Don't rush, if it works now stick with it and work out how to do it yourself when you're ready.

Ps I was told that a flipped box on an aaz was a bad idea/don't bother/it's shit etc but carried on regardless and it has been spot on for me so don't be deterred by negative responses.

Edited by GavB95 - 30 Sep 16 at 23:03
Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 16 at 19:43
Started with an aaz, changed to ahu 90 Bhp tdi, with regeared final drive.    The tdi is not a million times faster. And I doubt if we arrive at destination a much quicker.. But it's a whole load easier to drive and I feel a lot less fatigued. It's still not as relaxed as the daily seat altea tdi
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
Astrid View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 16 at 16:00
WOW, thanks for all that fresh input, I think some of you fixated on the numbers a little too much with the 80mph.I was just comparing to driving our modern car, if your want to get through a couple of hundred miles your gonna be hitting 80 to compensate for all the jams and bloody variable speed limits but maybe that's just me.
The compulsion was all about the work life balance fitting in some time for myself around the needs of the family.

scimdieseal had it, the drive just leaves me feeling fatigued as it's not an easy drive, played with the idea of trading to a defender as I saw one scoot past me on the journey the other day.

But I'm just going to stick with it and accept I'm doing six to eight hours driving  to spend 3 to 4 doing what I want to do. I have been doing that for 3 months but was willing to throw 2k at something if it improves things, however I have a bit more learning to do it seems.

When you say tall tyres can you recommend some with exact sizes so I can try it out and when your talking about the lower end do you mean I'd have less time in the gears or just slower exceleration when pulling off etc.

thank you everyone
Astrid View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 16 at 16:13
oh and good point vanorak I had played with the idea of taking everything but the drivers seat out of my little car as we still have hers but then my wifes bemused expression made me give up on that and I didn't even tell her yet.

that's why it's all about making the van work, coming out the ocean in November and changing in a perodua kenari (malayisian Daihatsu rip off) doesn't quite compare with sliding back the door on a portable changing room with  tea and coffee making facilities.
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 16 at 18:00
I know it depends on where you are in the country but these days i feel the speed of motorways has slowed a lot and a hell of a lot of folk are doing 70-80.    Only 15 years back I felt most folk where doing 80-90.  Speed cameras, more traffic, lorries limited to 56mph, etc all has had an effect.     

We cruise at a correct sat naff 62 mph on the motorway.   My everyday car would be indicating almost 70 at this speed.    Most cars are passing us but not all and not that fast either.    We do a Miltonkeynes to the end of cornwall 300 mile door to door, we do 2 holidays a year in cornwall and I would say 50% of the trip we're simply doing the speed of traffic or the car/ lorry in front..   We'd save maybe 30 minutes at most if we was in the car on the same trips.       On a busy motorway I prefer the Van to drive as i can see much more ahead than when i'm in the car.     I also think with the AAZ i'd be thinking about and being ready to change gear and not loose vital revs, planning overtakes, etc.  In the TDI i don't need to think about that stuff as its simply easier.  The van sitting position has in the past made my back ache or to ache across my shoulders.    I fitted Saab seats and cut a lot of the bases out and rewelded so they are the same height as standard seats.  These have improved comfort mostly!.   Cruise control i use a lot and I find relaxing and something to take my mind off driving.  I've put loads of the bitchumen sound proofing over the engine.   When internal panels have been removed i've added some to the outer panels and bit buy bit i'm convinced its smoother and quieter now.           

Doing our 62 mph means we get past the lorries quickly and most the time we don't get boxed in by other vehicles.  I would often get caught out with the AAZ and struggle to get out into faster trafic and be left stuck behind a lorry.. Even failed to get past a few on up hills ... I could feel my balls wither when that happened.   We also do close on 40mpg most the time.  For me and our family (the wide likes to go slow) needs the TDI has been really good.     I think if fuel was not an issue i'd consider a petrol Golf GTI engine as they'd be far quieter and no need to re-gear the box.    If fuel really was not an issue a Scobi doo engine would be awesome!...    
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 16 at 18:10
Originally posted by Astrid Astrid wrote:

I think some of you fixated on the numbers a little too much with the 80mph.I was just comparing to driving our modern car, if your want to get through a couple of hundred miles your gonna be hitting 80 to compensate for all the jams and bloody variable speed limits but maybe that's just me.

the important word in that statement is 'compensate' , you are setting off on a journey with the arrival time fixed in your mind and if you get held up then you have to get that lost time back to try and arrive on schedule
if you leave with the 'i will get there when i get there' attitude you wont feel half as stressed/fatigued and the arrival time probably wont be much different

i've got a tdi and sorted box in my bungalow and it will do 80mph with ease but i normally cruise at 60mph on the motorway because i cant be bothered to scream down the motorway (i'd spill my coffee anyway) and all the new motorhomes that fly by me on the road are normally queuing right in front of me when i reach my destination LOL

as for tyres, its all trial and error, a lot of work can be done on tyre size comparison sites but it all depends on individual vans
with one tyre size you could get a lovely 70mph cruising speed but as soon as a motorway incline starts you have to drop a gear and then you are stuck between gears so to speak and then the opposite tyre size where the van is good on inclines but a bit revvy at 70mph
only you will be able to pick the best tyre size because only you do the trip and you know how it feels now
a few cheap part worns to experiment and get the best size and then you are sorted 
all down to personal choice really
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>