Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 Autosleeper low top - the return!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 07:58
ST17 0PA
nick1973 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
click, click, BUY!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 15:40
i found out what the fancy gaer lever is  fitted to and i should be able to get some second hand ones

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 17:13
Originally posted by nick1973 nick1973 wrote:

i found out what the fancy gaer lever is  fitted to and i should be able to get some second hand ones

Oooh sounds interesting I've got one out of a Vauxhall combined van that looks like a likely candidate.....
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 22:05

Watching this with interest hope you go for the 1.8t engine, it'll be a great conversion.

Had several mk4 golfs with the engine in. Have you decided on which engine code you are going for? or are you waiting for the right donor to come along?

Don't start what you can't finish!
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 22:26
I'm thinking early a4, a6 or passat mounted at 50° with diesel sump.
150bhp which is plenty on a standardish gearbox.
Should be a nice conversion, especially if I can keep it under the hatch.

The aim is to keep the dg going for the summer I'd I can and spend time collecting parts.
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 17 at 18:00
The Redstone spray shop has been in full operation today. Borrowed heaters on full:

It's like Christmas unwrapping it!

It needs a good buff up, and the doors, engine hatch and side covers doing, looks like rain tomorrow, so probably not possible this weekend

Edited by fufflenarnia - 04 Mar 17 at 18:02
Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 17 at 08:11

Looks smart, good work

Don't start what you can't finish!
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 17 at 14:43
Nice, what paint did you use and what have you for a spray gun?
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 17 at 15:41
It's a Non-isocyanate 2 pack with a cheapish Italian HVLP spray gun.
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 17 at 05:08
Cheers.
I've never used the non-iso 2k, was it relatively easy to spray?
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 17 at 07:13
Yes, it has come out well. 3 coats and it's got a good shine. It dties slower than standard 2 pack, but without the cyanide, I can't say I noticed the difference. I'll flat it and machine polish it and it should look good.

I've done cellulose before and that was harder to get a good finish, 2 pack is easier.
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 17 at 17:20
It's been a nice warm day, so I've painted all the other bits:

And braved fitting them as the weather is crap tomorrow (the paint was a little too soft, so will need a bit of work)

Also stripped the carb, it is running a little better, but still very lumpy. Give me an agg any day!
simmyhall View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simmyhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 09:15
Thats looking pretty awesome, just about to start rust repair on that thing of mine. 
TNT - dynomite
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 17 at 20:25
I've had a weekend of tinkering.

New rear shoes, springs and drums - there were chunks missing out of one.

Up front, the Shields had disintegrated off the disks,

Amazingly all the retain screws came out without too much bother.

Next job, seats. I have a nice set from the back of a crysler voyager. I removed all the unnecessary ironwork and set about making a flat surface to bolt the runners onto:

Choppd up the plynth (excess metalwork)

And a bit of butchery and welding:

Fitted.

And refashioned and refitted the plastic bits:
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 17 at 22:00
A little update.

Use a starter solenoid of a agg started from a previous conversion to make a boot release mechanism and fitted an alarm and central locking.

All windows fitted.

Colour sanded and machine polished the paint.

Repaired a section of floor - why do Autosleeper use chipboard for floor? It must zvd been conceivable that it would get wet!

Seem to have the DG running pretty well, fitted new leads, that with the other parts seems to have done the trick, hope it will sell for more than the cost of parts!

Also picked this up yesterday:

The camper is definatly narrower and shorter than my daily driver, it barely fits on the ramps

It's been very nicely painted, so Elvis should be pleased, mileage isn't too bad, and apparently it's been rebuilt, not sure of that though. It does have a piper adjustable timing gear on the camshaft, so maybe it has a cam too....

There was a broken stud on the exhAust outlet, but welding a nut on worked a treat,

Having spent a fortune on new curtains and retrim ming the cushions, I need to work on saving some money! Whilst I would love a wolfy's exhaust, at £460 plus delivery, it isn't going to happen, so I need to work on an alternative.....

Anyone need a good dg, new dibby, choke pull down, water pump, leads, plugs, exhaust rebuilt, etc...

Edited by fufflenarnia - 02 Apr 17 at 22:05
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 17 at 18:09
Hi all,

Overdue an update, all the little jobs done, interior upholstery is away for recovering, new curtains waiting, electrics sorted, reversing camera fitted, split charge all done and a solar panel fitted, interior cleaned etc. Headlamps uprated, some of the woodwork repaired and recovered.

It took a good weekend to repair the front and rear bumpers, the front was in 2 halves, riveted together badly and the rear wasn't much better

A good day with the fibreglass and filler and a coat of paint and they came up a treat, a set of wahonbuild secondhand brackets later and ......

Spent yesterday morning fitting the decals:

I've also been prepping the agg, but I want to use the van before I take it off the road to do that.

I've got the DG running ok, but not brilliant, it doesn't pull on the higher rev bands, it sounds like it is misfiring, I think I am going to throw in the towel and send it to a local garage

Edited by fufflenarnia - 01 May 17 at 18:22
scottish vanners View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottish vanners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 17 at 11:47
looks great Thumbs Up
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 17 at 21:44
An update.

Been away in it a few times, it's been great, I can't get on with the wbx tho.

So, yesterday morning, this happened:

And this went in:

Exhaust done, I purchased a down pipe off here, an elbow and comussioned a stainless steel 32" x 6" silencer. Easily fitted together and clamps welded onto the silencer to fit jx rubbers

And Terrano II air filter fitted with butchered volvo v40 intake hose:

This morning, fuel system done and engine plumbed up:

And now wiring.....

Edited by fufflenarnia - 11 Jun 17 at 21:46
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 10:37
Wiring all done last week.

Had a bastards of a time trying to get comms to vcds (thanks Barny), so borrowed another ecu and immo just in case, still nothing.

I bought one of these:

3 wires connected and it starts first flick of the key, yay!
I put it in a small potting box with the obd socket:

And mounted it at the front of the van, I'll break the k-line for the immobiliser at some point.
Also built one of these - works a treat

That works a treat too.
The exhaust is noisier than I want, so I will probably extend the tail pipe a bit.
I also nood to sort the wobbly brakes and replace the speedo cable.
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 10:38
Oh, and fit an injection tank as the pump is not happy with the 8mm feed, luckily I have one ready.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>