The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 Autosleeper low top - the return!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 17 at 23:35
LOL
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 17 at 09:31
Just need a diesel bell housing and starter/adaptor plate and TDI starter and a donor vehicle
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 17 at 17:56
What happened to the weather??? I had it all ready for spraying by Sunday and it gone cold and windy, bastards!

Today I've finished hanging dust sheets in that garage and double checking everything.

I've started collecting bits, just need a diesel bell end and starter:

I'm thinking of maybe going 1.8t, just because......

Edited by fufflenarnia - 25 Feb 17 at 17:57
flying haggis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote flying haggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 17 at 22:09
I'm planning a 1.8t in a syncro doka for my next project, almost got all the parts, just short of a syncro doka and a 1.8t engine, oh and most of the diesel parts to fit it!!
On the other hand I have a set of engine bars and 3 16" merc wheels so nearly there
Take a walk on the wild side
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 17 at 22:49
Bloody hell chap, that didn't take long!
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 17 at 23:14
Got some spare engine mounts with bolts if anyone needs them.

What didn't take long? Getting pissed off with the wbx, prepping the van for paint or collecting all the parts?
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 17 at 11:21
Diesel bell housings are very expensive!

Does anyone have a petrol bellhousing they can loan, or sell cheap so I can design an adapter?

I think I will put it between the bellhousing and gearbox, like this

That one is 15° to 0° I think, I guess I need to go 15° to 50°......thoughts?

I may need to borrow a diesel bellhousing too!

Edited by fufflenarnia - 26 Feb 17 at 11:22
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 17 at 11:27
Pretty much all of the above!
Can't se how putting your adaptor between the gearbox and bellhousing will help you fit a wbx bell housing to a gti though chap? Indexing a diesel bellhousing to have the engine upright maybe?

Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 17 at 14:28
If I rotate the bellhousing by 35° (anticlockwise looking from the back of the vsn), it should put the starter above the gearbox (like the diesel) and rotate all the bolt positions.

I'm not sure gearbox to engine adaptor would work as the starter would be in the wrong place.

I can't cross check on the van atm as it is all masked up.

I wish you were a bit nearer, it would be easier to borrow bits and swap knowledge.
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 17 at 14:38
A wbx bellhousing won't bolt up to an inline four engine chap as far as I'm aware

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 17 at 15:45
nope! but running an adaptor (+15mm) like my doka's might work out cheaper? but then you have trouble with flywheel. custom jobbie or a modified 2.1 with h/d clutch kit......
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 17 at 16:05
Or its bellhousing shaving like flipped box, so little point.

So it's back to needing a diesel bellhousing then.
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 17 at 17:41
I can template a diesel bell housing for you chap and measure thickness of a diesel flywheel if that helps. Rowlsey had to shave the back of the air cooled flywheel to correct the depth once the adaptor was fitted. Bonus is you end up with a 228mm clutch without the cost of a tdi input shaft. As I remember the 20vt was a 228 mm friction plate too.

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 17 at 19:35
dont forget i was only running a 2e - your 20vt might eat h/d boxer clutches anyway.... can you get h/d diesel clutches? baxter dont list em?

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 17 at 19:49
slow down jimmy! think this through.... 

diesel bell housing - the starter is relocated as the flywheel is smaller in diameter and in the same place as a petrol you'l be close/in the sump.

petrol bellhousing i think will be ok if you run at 35 degrees if you have an adaptor but it might be worth offering up first. 

page 11 of the doka build chap Thumbs Up

Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 17 at 20:16
I'm not convinced it's worth the effort, as long as the bell housing prices don't go up any more, if the do then it's beck to a4 flipped boxes......

The A4 adapter was around £80, plus 105 cv joints £30, spacers £20, gearbox mount (time only), machining (time/or cost...) and gear linkage and terminators cock £££££)

I've got my eye on a diesel gearbox which has a good final drive ratio which would work with my box on a 1.8 20vt.

Not convinced I will go down that route yet tho.
Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 21:30

Hi if you are going 2.0 GTI engine then I'd just get the diesel bellhousing you've got almost everything else you need. The picture of the adaptor plate a few posts back is to go inbetween a diesel bellhousing and the gearbox turning it from the standard 55 degrees to 15 degrees. I think 15 degrees would suit the 1.8t engine much better but you would have to fab up some mounting bars to suit the engine.

The 1.8t is a great engine but would be more involved fitting compared to an AGG or similar.

Don't start what you can't finish!
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 06:18
Fitting a 1.8t doesn't worry me in the slightest, it looks a lot easier than the pd install I did a few years ago. I just need to sort out a diesel bellhousing.

I've missed out on one complete gearbox already. I've got my eye on another, but it's a bit too far away to collect. Does anyone know someine whi travels south east from Stafford?

Edited by fufflenarnia - 01 Mar 17 at 06:20
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 06:34
Where is it fuf?

Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 17 at 07:30
I only have Stafford at the moment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>