The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Florida sink

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Florida sink
    Posted: 12 Sep 16 at 21:28
Hi all ,I've recently discovered the pipe work under the sink in the wet room on my Florida is leaking,so I have removed the pipes under the taps (which had a split caused by a jubilee clip) and removed the taps.what I would like to know is when I replace the taps and pipes do I need to include a drain off tap in the pipes as I have heard people mention this before
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 16 at 19:10

You do.  It's required for draining down the boiler.

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 16 at 20:02
Hi chappy ,Thanks for the reply
Just one more question as I'm new to the Florida ,do I just put a T piece into the pipe with a tap on the end ,also which pipe do I fit it too ,the cold or hot ?if you get a chance would you be able to take a picture or yours to show me how ......once again thanks for your reply.I have only just got my first Florida so no doubt will be bugging you with more questions in the future
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 16 at 21:51

I've modified my bathroom and taken the sink out - my logic was based on how many sinks you need within 3 feet!

But I still have taps there for the shower, so will take a photo and send it over - no worries
mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 16 at 22:08
Thank you
mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 16 at 19:12
Hi Chappy ,
Did you manage to get a photo of your taps for me to have a look at ?what I need to know is do you put the drain tap on the hot or cold inlet in the wet room ........what I was thinking was to put a t piece in one of the pipes then a piece of pipe with tap off of the t piece,what do you think ?
Thanks again in advance

Marc

Edited by mgee132 - 19 Sep 16 at 19:13
Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 16 at 14:52
Not sure if you have sorted this yet but here's photo of my setup, the drain is on the hot water pipe!

Edited by Serge - 22 Sep 16 at 14:53
1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4
http://www.sergeantsmess.co.uk/
mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 16 at 17:55
Thank you Serge ,that is very helpful 👍I will copy the way you have done it .
mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 16 at 21:25
Hi again ,can someone tell me do I connect both the plus cables on the taps together and both the negatives together as I only seem to have one plus and one minus coming in from the batteries .

Thanks
Marc
Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 16 at 10:46
Just looked at mine and there is only two wires coming from the microswitch on the mixer taps which makes sense as there is only one pump!
Don't be confused by the blue wire in my photo as that is the power out connection for the toilet flush which has a separate pump.
If you have separate taps each with it's own microswitch I don't see a problem with connecting the two positive leads and two negative leads to the supply cables, unless for some reason you have two water pumps which is unlikely!
Good luck, the usual disclaimer applies as I'm not an auto electrician! Wink
1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4
mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 16 at 12:41
Thanks again Serge ,the reason I asked the question was I thought I read somewhere you only need the pump to work on the cold tap not the hot ,but as you say I can't see any reason while both taps running off the pump would be a problem ,don't worry about the disclaimer, I'm not going to sue you .The problem with these vans is every Tom ,dick and Harry has had a go at doing stuff themselves and when you try and fix things it's a nightmare trying to get it right Judging by your picture my previous taps where hooked up the wrong way round ,hot to cold and visa versa

Edited by mgee132 - 25 Sep 16 at 12:42
Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 16 at 08:33
You are correct in that the pump only circulates cold water which pressurises the hot water system when the hot tap is turned on.
If I remember correctly the Florida's original taps were separate hot and cold and had a microswitch on each one therefore they would have needed power connections to them both, many Flo's, mine included, have been fitted with single lever mixer taps which only have one microswitch to operate the pump.

mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 16 at 09:47
Yeah mine has the two taps with two micro switches ,so I guess I'll wire them both in 👍Thanks again for your help .
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 16 at 22:33

ARSE!  I totally forgot about this.  Embarrassed

I got sent off to Cincinnati for a week, then the Netherlands for another week and it scrambled my brain.

It looks like you got the info that you need Marc, but I'll post up some pics of my Bathroom setup anyway.

Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 16 at 22:36

Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 16 at 22:40

The only thing to bear in mind is that the drain tap is actually on the bottom of hot tap.  I know the photo shows it on the bottom of the 'blue' tap, but that is actually the hot tap.......  I put the taps in the wrong way round and it took me so long to get it all sorted and fitted, I couldn't bear the prospect of ripping it all out again!

The drain is on the hot tap to facilitate drain down of the boiler.

mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 16 at 06:09
Thanks Chappy ,judging by your set up and Serge's the hot pipe was set up wrong in my van as well ,is it always the hot pipe on the left as you look at it ? I might put a tap in both pipes just in case .....
 Post Reply Post Reply