The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cold start problem. Spent loads already!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barryreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 16 at 07:13
I have the exact same problem as you. I am at the point where I am about to start looking into the injectors and head (about to get expensive). Before I do so I am trying to track down the correct procedure for checking the pressures.

Festa, you stated you changed a few heads. Once I get tot he point of opening up, once I remove the head would any crack be visible to see?

On my particular issue my starting got worse, but I found out that the egr valve plate inside had worked loose and kind of stuck in there. Once repaired it started slightly easier. I park on flat or downhill and cycle ignition to prime the system. Defo loosing fuel pressure or air in system. the oil pressure light eventually comes one during starting and afer this she comes to life
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 16 at 09:06
Localised cracking in the head is to be expected but not ideal. Vw allow a bit of cracking but cracks maybe visible from the injector port through the inlet and exhaust valves. Compression test should be done prior to removal of head to check condition. In theory you should have the same or more compression :) if the injector bores are to worn it doesnt matter if you fit new injector seals as these will wear just as quick. I've modified my points where the injectors fix down as the injectors rock....its just a bad design and my last head lasted 60k :( I just pencil it in to change every 3 years or so which is next year for me.
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 16 at 15:44
Shocked you "pencil in" a head change every three years!!??
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 16 at 16:53
Yup ..the next head is being ported
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
Maxb10v8 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxb10v8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 16 at 21:45
Well. Little update. I picked up the van tonight. They've put a new starter on, and reckon it's cracked it!!?
When I picked it up it did start better than it normally did, so I'll have to see how it is in the morning!
T5axd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5axd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 16 at 22:09
Tonight I've had a root around the boost pipes.
Two so called expert garages have looked at the van
Neither must have found the two gigantic splits in the rubber boost hose connected to the turbo
I have!
Will be ordering replacement pipe tomorrow
Doubt it will improve starting but it should help clear the smoke
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 16 at 22:45

Edited by T5 TDI - 21 Oct 16 at 23:16
2004 2.5 174
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 16 at 21:06
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

Fairly news all round so far then!

Hey Festa- Don't the 2.5 heads cost about £4000 each! Shocked   Are you a gold miner?  Oh no, I remember you're a gas man.  Same thing...Wink  Big smile

No I'm not made of Money but I try and keep my van working. A bare head will cost around £1000 with a two year warranty but as I normally get them worked on it normally voids that anyway. The next head is around £750 and that come with a 1 year warranty
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 16 at 23:16
I am genuinely aghast/impressed at all your mods but my van is still on its original head, so at 13 years that makes it 4.25 heads down on yours.  And I'll be quite happy if that gap keeps widening in my favour! Tongue
2004 2.5 174
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 16 at 08:55
The problem is... that as it hydro locked six years ago and on the second head it lost number 5 exhaust valve due to the seat coming out the head it had to have cylinder 5 reserved. Since then I have given it a hard time and its not let me down, ok a couple of starting issues but has not required me to call recovery to get home for engine.
If you know how it works then you can generally fix it on the side of the road
The main issue I discovered this year was when I paid an engine shop 6 years ago to rebuild it they stripped a thread on the oil pump to block that produced low oil pressure at higher rpms so things failed not knowing to me. Also when the cylinder got sleeved the wrong piston rings were used for the lining and has worn the bore oval, nothing that a bit of honing could cure.
On a quick refresh on the engine back in march and a bit of more fettering it was picked up and rectified, but the thing that suffered the most was turbo over heating due to incorrect oil supply.
I'm on my second rebuild of this current turbo 2262 hybrid and its holding over 260bhp@200nm at 5000rpm, still trying to get the gas setup correctly so that should produce another 15-20% but egt's have been peaking at 950°c which is a bit high
Need it for a track day next month so engine is planned to be pulled out again on Monday week to..change the clutch again as the sachs sre as it can't hold the power and have a paddle going in until my twin disc setup gets made. Repair the water leak on the vaporiser hoses as there seems a bit of pressure at the higher end of the rpm range. Also turbo is being bench setup again for pressure differentials while i modify the exhaust manifold to fit an emp gauge.
Completely off subject for the original poster..sorry
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 16 at 09:03
Do you have a 0-60 time for that Festa? Smile
2004 2.5 174
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 16 at 09:24
No I haven't but I'm sure I can sort something using vcds..is that loaded or empty? To give you an idea and on a farm private concrete road 85mph in third at 5000rpm before the road runs out

Edited by festa - 22 Oct 16 at 09:29
T5axd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5axd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 16 at 13:54
5 minutes swapping a boost hose this morning
Started first time without hesitation since I bought it!
Still some black smoke but I think that was residual fuel burning off
Italian tune up on the dual carriageway cured that
Left it again a few hours and started fine
Treating it to a wash now
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 16 at 18:22
Great news!  If the leak is bad enough it certainly can cause bad smoking even knocking if a pipe actually comes off.  

You'd think it would have triggered a map sensor code though.  Mind you, I had what looked like a small puncture hole on one of my intercooler pipes.  It caused no problems or codes and I only found it when I took the pipe off to gain access to something else.  You could actually blow through it if you blew hard enough so it must have been leaking.  There wasn't any difference when I replaced it, only in the weight of my wallet (£100!)    
2004 2.5 174
Maxb10v8 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxb10v8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 16 at 10:29
So, the starter made no difference at all.
It does seem to be a. It more random?! Sometimes it's better than others.
I've just got off the phone to the garage, they think that the only thing it can be is the injector seals, so that's what they're going to do!
Gulp!

That's it though, I'll be selling or part exing if that doesn't work.
I'll keep you posted.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 16 at 16:48
Good luck, hope it comes out well. Smile
2004 2.5 174
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 16 at 20:56
Could have my engine...dropped compression on cylinder's 4/5. Wet heater plug on cylinder 5 and wet in the inlet port of same cylinder. Going to fit the new sre splinter clutch and a few remedial repairs for my track day. If the engine gets destroyed then I'll swap it out for something bigger. Think I'm finding the limits
Maxb10v8 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxb10v8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 16 at 14:08
Picked it up after the garage having it for another week!
It's so weird, it started better, not 100%, but loads better...then after a few days it's back to normal!!!!!
So the new injector seals did nothing.
When the garage work on it, for a few days after it starts much better? What's that all about?!
So I guess I'll be selling it. I'm gutted it's such a brilliant van other than this problem. I've spared no expense on the thing, Bilstein coils, Forge 6 pot brakes, Forge cooler and egr blank. Retro fitted cruise. The seats in the back are perfect for my use of the van. They on on rails so can have loads space between the front seats (unlike a factory combi).
And I know I'm going to have to spend loads more to get a van up to a similar spec.
I can't spend more on it though... can I?!
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 16 at 20:29

I really need to ask,

did you ever get round to buying a new battery for it?
Maxb10v8 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxb10v8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 16 at 07:20
No, I didn't. Do you think I should?
In my head it's not that old, but I think I'm getting confused as I bought one for my T4 just before I sold it.
Should I swing by Halfords and get a Wee laddie to check it?

(Mind you, if it was the battery all along....I'd have to go and sit in a cave, alone, for a few weeks!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>