The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1y Overheating need help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1y Overheating need help!
    Posted: 30 Aug 16 at 12:48
Swapped over to a 1y and it ticks over nice and after a hour I take it for a drive and it gets too hot the red water flashes.
Two days ago it blew the water level sensor out of its tank and in two.

I have fitted a cs alternator and in doing this i have removed the power steering pump and fitted the cs pulleys. I am not running its ribbed belt.

Could someone show me the wiring just so I can see mine is all correct. Pretty sure it is.

Also are there any sensors I should have changed over?

I will say the engine runs great and pulls so much better then the old cs.

At my wits end now and need help.

I have spent hours bleeding air out of the water system to make sure its ok.

I have now changed the 1y water pump over to one from a mk2 golf gtd pump. the blades in the pump are bigger so I thought this might help.

I have also removed my new thermostat.

Was sitting just over the led after an hour of ticking over so took it for 2 spins round the block and this sent the guage all the way over and the red water led was flashing, I whacked the heater on and got it to stop as I rolled back home.

Anyway, can anyone help.?

Marcus.
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 16 at 13:57
Is the water pump being turned backwards? What's the belt setup?
It's easy on some engines to have the belt the wrong side of the pulley and you end up pumping coolant the wrong way through the system which obviously doesn't work very well.

There's a thread on this forum somewhere about this.

Otherwise it sounds rather like a blow head gasket?
marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 16 at 14:46
as I am running a v belt I dont think it can be wrong.
the gasses test is the one i was hoping not to do.
but sounds like a plan.
but no bubbling, no oil in water so was not thinking head gasket.
but could well be a plan to either find out or rule it out.
saudijoker View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saudijoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 16 at 21:21
I have exactly the same set up. On my first long journey it also got hot and dumped a load of water onto the motorway. I gingerly carried on and made it from norfolk to Wales stopping regularly to check all was Ok.

The next day I gave it a good bleed and found some air in the system which could have contributed to it. But I think part of the problem was that I still had the dm code gearbox which was to low geared.

I continued my journey through Wales and back to norfolk keeping to 50mph and it was fine. I have now fitted a dk code box.

Hope that's of some help...
marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 16 at 21:32
My issue was some air in the system and a old rad. Fitted a new rad today. Now runs awesome.
 Post Reply Post Reply