The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solex 30/35 pdsi carb issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andypb64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solex 30/35 pdsi carb issues
    Posted: 25 Aug 16 at 19:53
Hi all I have an lt28 2.0lt petrol 1977 with a 30/35 pdsi solex carb. I went to use the van and it wouldn't start. Bump starting it the engine locked. Called the AA and they diagnosed an hyraulic lock as the cylinders and engine were full of fuel. Removing the spark plugs the engine now turns over and sprays petrol. I posted this on Facebook and got a link to a site selling spare parts for the carb so I took it apart to see if I could see what's wrong. When I took it a part a small brass cone with a square base dropped out and I can't for the life of me work out where it came from and how to put it back.

Please can someone firstly identify what this item is, where it goes and if it should be loose/ could be causing the problem.

Secondly tell me which items I need order I'm thinking it's the brass fitting which has solex 1.5 written on it which is activated by the float?

Help would be very much appreciated. Photos to follow

Kind regards

Andrew
andypb64 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andypb64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 16 at 20:29
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 16 at 10:00
Search for diagrams mate, loads on google to browse through.
Check the float itself by shaking it, they sometimes fail and fill with petrol.
Jets will be numbered if you want to replace them, but I think I'd start with the float and the valve.
I'd change the engine oil too to be safe, some petrol must have gone by the rings when it locked up.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

andypb64 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andypb64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 16 at 21:37
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. Yes looked at all the diagrams but could not find the bit. Very odd. I have managed to source the more modern carb off an1981 van with manual choke. Fitted that and the van is back running.

Struggling to start it first time but I've never used a choke before so possibly the accelerator / choke configuration I'm using isn't right

Thanks again

Andrew
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 16 at 11:03
Prefer manual chokes, less to go wrong.
To check the choke, look down the top of the carb and pull out the choke.
The flap should almost close, and then go back to vertical when you push the choke back in.
There will definitely be a correct gap when the choke is fully closed, assuming you can find a manual.
If not then it's trial and error.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Post Reply Post Reply