The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DU Gearbox - RPM Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmouthboyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DU Gearbox - RPM Adjustment
    Posted: 14 Aug 16 at 11:54
I asked a similar question on club 80-90 but apparently here is where best to ask about wheels Tongue

I have a 1.8 Gti Engine (Mk1 Golf) with a DU 4 Speed gearbox in my Autosleeper and as I need new tyres all round wanted to see if I can replace my stock 14" steels with something that can lower my RPM. Not after anything fancy at the moment so decided my best bet firstly is to get some Mefro Steel Wheel - 6Jx16 ET30 5/112 Steels to replace my 14' steels.

I have put some data into a spreadsheet and this has allowed me to really compare the effects of various tyre sizes on my RPM's.

I wanted to check that my 'ideal' RPM' would be as close to the AAP box as possible? Or should I be looking more into my specific engines RPM / Torque curves?

Engine: VW Mk1 Gti 1.8 DX K-jet Engine

Gearbox: 4 Speed: DU Code

I tested a range of tyre widths and profiles and the ones which bought my RPM's to almost exactly the AAP box was:

205 75 R16 (Personal Favourite)
195 80 R16 (Closest RPM Match)
185 85 R16

So I have a bit of a choice. Wider tyres with less tyre wall or narrower tyres with higher tyre wall?

Will I foul the arches with this diameter wheel/tyre (Approx 718mm total)?

Cheers  :ok 

Edited by bmouthboyo - 14 Aug 16 at 11:55
 Post Reply Post Reply