The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 5th gear upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gstransporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 5th gear upgrade
    Posted: 06 Aug 16 at 19:29
Has anyone had the 5th gear upgrade done to their t4?
Is it worth it? Better mpg on long runs? Any shifting to 5th issues?
BusbytheSea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BusbytheSea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 16 at 09:20
Had mine done last year. Drops the revs by about 500 - 600 rpm. Difficult to judge exactly as I have a 2.4 and no tacho. Economy on long runs is improved and motorway running at 70 is much better. Town driving really needs 4th gear unless coasting or running under very low engine load.
nutnbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutnbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 17 at 17:21
Did you do the mod yourself or was it done by someone else need mine doing   how much did it cost nutnbolt
trickydisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trickydisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 17 at 14:14

I've been wanting to ask about this. It seems it's really hard to get hold of the 0.681 ratio now. I was wondering would a 0.66 ratio be okay in a 2.0 petrol?

I really want to drop the revs on mine.

been quoted £50 + vat for a garage to do it
Camping Bazz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camping Bazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 17 at 22:50
I read this and used it as a guide:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/5th-gear-swap-modification-lower-gearing-on-a-vw-5-speed-transmission/

I have a 1.9 TD and I used the 0.658 gear set from an auction site and the difference is amazing now the van will do 70 at ease, but with the taller gear you do have to plan steep hills sometimes.
After I did the gear mod I fitted an l200 intercooler and gave the van just under a quarter of a turn on the fuel pump and 12 psi boost this makes the van quite drivable unless there is a steep hill or your caught out on an incline at a low speed.
I was nervous about fitting the 0.658 gearset but glad I did as its made it nice to drive at higher speeds and the gear is not too tall.
Its worth looking up your gearbox code to find out what 5th gear is actually fitted to your box before you buy a new gear.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trickydisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 17 at 10:40
excellent.. thanks for the response

Looking at the specs its hard to compare the 2.0 to the 1.9td as they are quoted at different rpm's

2.0 PETROL
84 PS (62 kW; 83 bhp) @ 4,300159 N·m (117 lbf·ft) @ 2,200

1.9 td
68 PS (50 kW; 67 bhp) @ 3,700140 N·m (103 lbf·ft) @ 2,000-3,000

Think i might go for it anyway
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 17 at 10:52
Google torque plots for them both?
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trickydisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 17 at 14:20
Well i had the mod done last friday. Really pleased. NOw cruises at 71 @ 3000 revs and pulls fine in 5th.

Best mod i've ever done. Great for motorway
 Post Reply Post Reply