The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 gearbox issue.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash9112000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 gearbox issue.
    Posted: 27 Jul 16 at 13:33
Hi. I have a petrol 1986 T3 camper. A couple of months ago I lost all the gears after changing into what should have been 4th. When being towed back there was a noise coming from the gearbox, like a heavy clicking noise, not whirring. No signs leading up to the failure either. Anyway, the advice I'm after is what is the best way to get it all up and running and who in the midlands would it be best to contact. I'm also selling the van so I need to way up the cost of the work to see if it's worth doing. Any advice is appreciated, and also advice on where to advertise other than eBay would be appreciated. It's a nice original van.
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 16 at 21:45
Email the gearbox guru. Aides Talbot.    But total loss of gears is impressive... When you say loss... Is that you can't get it in gear with or without the engine runnin or is there no drive.    It could be clutch, gearbox, or even a cv joint.
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
ash9112000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash9112000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 16 at 10:20
Mmm that's made me think now. The gearstick feels very normal and goes in and out of gear as it should do. I lost drive, no bangs or knocks. Just a heavy klicking sound when I engage the clutch. I had two new drive shafts put on last year from vw heritage so it's a good place to start. Thinking about it now, it seems likely that it's the cv joint. Not sure how easy the splines can become damaged. Thanks for the help and info. I'll give that guy a ring and see what he says. 👍
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 16 at 20:20
pull box off and check the clutch? not uncommon for the centre to come apart from the outer friction plate
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
 Post Reply Post Reply