The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - VW T5 1.9 2006 desperately need help. Coolant loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VW T5 1.9 2006 desperately need help. Coolant loss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 16 at 20:07
Well it's possible.  If it is behaving better it's worth driving it round a bit.  It's certainly worth a new stat if it continues like that.  I have seen stats opening late but more often they are jammed shut.  It should have opened to a nice wide gap of about half a centimetre if it is opening fully.

2004 2.5 174
heskethlmu View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 16 at 20:24
Its certainly behaving better but Ill give it a longer run out and check for the other stuff when its cold.

The stat did open slowly that much but I dont know how quickly they should open.

Cheers
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 16 at 21:45
It should open within a few seconds of chucking it in the hot water but it would have to be quite slow opening to cause problems though unless it's not opening fully.

Now you've had the engine at full temp without the stat in place and it cools overnight things should have settled down and it's unlikely there are any airlocks to muddy the waters so what happens in the bottle as you start the engine is critical.  Get someone else to turn the key while you watch the bottle.  If you see bubbles coming up the second the engine fires you're buggered.  But don't worry about the feed from the water pump spluttering in at the top.

2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 16 at 12:04
This morning Ive opened the cap and it was pressured down still from last night. It fizzed up to the minimum line so the bit od water between max and min has gone somewhere.

The missus started the van up for me cold with me looking in the header tank. No bubbling. No nothing in fact.

Other than the gasket like loads of people have suggested in forums. Is there something else that could be making it hold so much pressure overnight?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 16 at 22:14
From your replies I think you have exhausted all of the sensible possibilities.  I'd guess there is some leakage from the head because a cracked block is rare.  It could be that a new head gasket seals it temporarily accounting for the improvement the day after.  

I think if it was my van and I was generally happy with the engine otherwise I'd look for second hand head complete with its cam and risk it but only if I was happy with the source.  I wish I could be more positive!   Cry
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 16 at 11:50
Yeah all fingers point there but its been skimmed and tested which have come back fine.
I do fear you're right though.

I just to weigh up if I should go for a full new block and head or just a head. Either way cant imagine it will be cheap.

Some google searching is in order I think.

Is there anything other than the head gasket that would make it hold presssue like it is doing so?
This definitely stopped for a short while when the gasket was re done. Twice.
Its like it can hold pressure for do long before letting go.
Both times indentical amount of mileage before coolant light reared itd ugly head.
Boiler mike View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boiler mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 16 at 12:08
When you run with out cap on does it bubble up through
I still think you have flow issue
When you heat water it expands systems suggest expansion not working correctly
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 16 at 12:08
It might be worth pulling the head off (yet again) and looking very carefully to see if there are any signs of leakage.  

If there are, do what seems practical, if not then the question is what replacement is economically expedient - which will depend on a number of factors, main one being how long you intend to keep it (assuming repair is effective this time).

Good luck (it must be time you had some good fortune) Thumbs Up
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 16 at 13:30
Originally posted by Boiler mike Boiler mike wrote:

When you run with out cap on does it bubble up through
I still think you have flow issue
When you heat water it expands systems suggest expansion not working correctly

With the cap off there is no bubbling in the water at all. Top and bottom pipes are similar temp wothout the stat.
The water pressures down still to below min from the max line.
Im going to stick a new stat in it when I take the housing off again next week.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 16 at 13:33
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

- which will depend on a number of factors, main one being how long you intend to keep it (assuming repair is effective this time).

Good luck (it must be time you had some good fortune) Thumbs Up

If I can get it working then I intend on converting the back and having may years of camping out it.
Just need my luck to change. Thats would be awesome....
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 16 at 22:06
Originally posted by heskethlmu heskethlmu wrote:

Is there anything other than the head gasket that would make it hold presssue like it is doing so?

Theoretically on a sealed system the pressure should build up to 15 psi or so as the coolant warms and decrease to zero again when it's cold.  Any pressure left when it's cold must have been introduced from some other source. 
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 16 at 22:40
Yeah thats my concern which is why we went with the head gasket.
There clearly is a bigger problem that a new gasket twice is masking for a short time before going back to square 1.

Im just not sure what to do at minute. The lad who has done my head twice has had it tested and skimmed twice.
With it being fine for a while on short journeys, I wonder if prolonged periods of heat+pressure is causing it becuae both times its gone on the long journey.

When they test heads for cracks is it done under pressure alone or heat also?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 16 at 07:29
I don't know much about what they do.  I know there are different ways of testing including dyes and even ultrasonics.  Not sure if they would test with the head hot, I suppose it depends on the kit they have got and how much you are prepared to pay.  

Edit- You have to put in a reg no to get a price on the full head with a cam/lifters valves (but no injectors) I put a random reg for a 1.9 and it looks like £800. Ouch  

Edited by T5 TDI - 06 Aug 16 at 07:39
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 16 at 10:23
Thanks for that link. Id have to find someone to fit it all together and put the new one.

I found this one online which linked me to ebay. Sounds good but Im no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination.

£400
-----------

VOLKSWAGEN /SEAT/AUDI 1.9 TDi PD 8V FULLY RE-CON CYLINDER HEAD

Year 2000 - onwards

FITS

GOLF / PASSAT / BORA / POLO / JETTA / TRANSPORTER /TOURAN / ECT

ENGINE CODES AJM,ANU,ARL,AVQ,ASZ,AWX,ATD,AXD,ATJ,AXC,
AUY,AXR,AVF,AVB,BDJ,BDK,BGW,BHW,BLT,BJB,BKC,BRU,BMM,BXE etc etc

COMES COMPLETE WITH CAMSHAFT (where available)HYDRAULIC BUCKETS AND ROCKER SHAFT (FOR THE INJECTORS ) HEAD GASKET,INLET/ EXHAUST
HEAD BOLTS AND WE WILL GIVE YOU A COPY OF HOW TO SET THR INJECTOR CLEARANCES :-)

FULLY HOT PRESSURE TESTED AND CHECKED!

CLEANSING DIPPED
VALVE GUIDES CHECKED AND REPLACED IF REQUIRED
VALVES REFACED OR REPLACED IF NECESSARY
VALVES SEATS REFACED AND VACUUM TESTED

HEAD REFACED BY THE MINIMUM AMOUNT

ALL PARTS CLEANED AND ASSEMBLED
FREE MAINLAND UK DELIVERY
THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE IRELAND

Your old head is required as an exchange unit and we will accept your old cylinder head no matter what it's condition, as long as it includes all the parts that our head came with.
You will never be charged extra because your old head is damaged or has Bent valves even if your head is taken apart (as long as you put all of the parts in the box). We have no up-front core charge, you have 7 days to put your old unit in the box and we will send FedEx to collect it!

07717 642946
breakingbits@googlemail.com
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 16 at 14:12
I don't think I would risk that especially for £400.  Is the cam (if available!?) new?  What are they doing with the old heads like yours that seem ok I wonder?

If you're keeping the van you should probably bite the bullet and buy new.  There is still the risk that it's a block crack but I think the head is more likely.  All in all not a nice decision to have to make.. Censored

Edited by T5 TDI - 06 Aug 16 at 14:45
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 16 at 00:28
Yeah its just something I found whilst on google.

Its not the best situation I've been in.
On the plus sideim cycling to work more and keeping fit..

I have seen a supply and fit of a full recon engine for 1800 inc vat. Not done enough digging yet to see how good this firm are.

By getting a new head Im still taking a risk on the block and all the internals being fine.

Brilliant engines I was told.Solid and reliable. Trist me to buy a lemon.... ha.

I agree with tour thinking. 400 extra to go for a new head spread over 10 years is nowt. If the head is the problem.
Knowing my luck ill have the only broken block in the land....

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 16 at 09:55
Hope you find something decent.  Smile  You are right to do your research when it comes to engines.

If you are having a complete engine don't forget to factor in possible ancillaries like possible clutch and DMF, gaskets and oil and filters.   
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 16 at 10:48
Thanks mate and cheers for your time also.
Ill keep the thread updated.

Even if I do just trade it in for something else.....
Scrawf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrawf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 16 at 12:36
Hi im new to this and first post,i thinj ive got exactly the same problem on my t5,my thermostat just wont open at all!!also replaced rad thermostat,headgasket,waterpump.....problem still there!!i removed the thermostat to check and make sure rad is not blocked!!once engine fully warm which did take a while i noticed that rad and both pipes were hot!!however the two pipes going to the underside of the van were stone cold well one goes down and one comes up,i removed the pipe where it enters the heater system and water was not flowing fully out so blocked it with my thumb (boiling hot so be carfull)removed and air/water was gushing!refitted pipe and now the heater pipes are now hot!!i am going to refit thermostat and make sure i bleed the system fully as i am conviced there was airlocked in there and prey this is the fix!i will update post!!
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 16 at 13:00
Hi mate.
Mine is still pressuring up without the stat in place.
Further to that my coolant is pressuring right down and the pressure is held overnight and for days after until I open the cap and it all comes back up again, all be it needing a top up having only done 12 miles.

Nightmare mate.

Currently looking at a whole new engine and re fitting my ancillaries onto it. Either way not cheap....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>