The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worth Selling? Break? Opinions please!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 16 at 09:47
Thanks AndyT,

it turns out that the cause of the problem was the brake cable on the driver's side which had seized up, so the handbrake had only been working on the passenger side.

Seyed says that when he can't access part 11 (bottom part) from the other side to hammer, because not enough space so he'll cut it out.  But part 22 is so close to 11 that by doing that, unfortunately 22 will also get cut.

Cheers Elaine
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 16 at 20:54
Any update - is the holiday still a go 😀
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
Elaine View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 16 at 10:06
Sadly despite all yours and Andy's brilliant help and advice, and Seyed spending a lot of time under it this week - the van is not fixed and won't be ready in time for us going away! Cue pathetic whimpering!! 

I'm not quite sure what bit of the process Seyed was unable to do but will find out when I head up there in a bit to collect all our essentials, and update.  About to call 'Rent A Banger' to hire a small transit so the holiday will happen, just not quite as we'd imagined.. 

Thanks so much for all the support, it's really made such a difference - I was so sure we'd get there, and Seyed has been trying everything but not to be.  He's ordered new parts so it'll probably be ready soon after we get back!

All the best Elaine
Elaine View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 16 at 14:55
Hi chaps, quick update.  We hired a transit van and had a great week at a little festival in Oxfordshire.  Learned something about modern vans after the first night - you can't sleep in them even with all the doors closed, because it runs the battery completely flat.  But I love camping, so all good.

When we got back on Tuesday, My mechanic called to say they'd managed to fix the handbrake by "opening the two hooks towards the front of the push rod, taking the whole thing out pressing out the shaft, by warming it and bending it twice in a vice.  Then closed the hooks up again and put it all back" (or something like that - Seyed's going to show me when I collect the van)

So it passed its MOT!!!!!!!  With apologies from the mechanic for breaking the handbrake last time around.

Seyed found the photos really helpful, and I wondered if there's any chance of one more photo of an LT engine? 

He'd really like to see a photo that shows the layout of the fuel hoses going into the carburettor.  He says the engine is backfiring into the carb when cruising, and he thinks it's something to do with the 3 filters on the supply side.  He thinks the hoses might not have been put in correctly when the carb was changed years ago (which could be why the van has always been a bit sluggish).  And if he can see what the carb and hose layout is supposed to be, he can work out what's gone wrong with ours.

If possible, thank you very much.  I'm hoping we can get the van back next week so I can take it up to Glossop at the weekend.

Thanks Elaine

Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 16 at 16:32
Hi Elaine.

Great outcome and pleased you got the MOT - enjoy Glossop - lovely part of the U.K.

I can't help with the carburettor pictures as I have a diesel . There are a surprising number of LT engine pictures on google so may be worth a Google search.

Simon
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 16 at 18:13
Hi Elaine,

Looked through your old posts and a 1990 LT will almost certainly have the 2.4 6 pot engine.
I've looked through the Haynes manual and there isn't a decent picture.
There are carb manuals to download - Tech Manuals topic - which might help, but essentially there is  a single feed to the carb, any fuel not needed is sent back to the tank.
A misfire to me means check the timing first, either the basic timing is wrong or there is a fault in either the mechanical or vacuum advance on the dizzy.
The only other cause is a lean mixture, either an air leak or maybe the float level in the carb is wrong. More revs need more fuel.
I'd also take the top off the carb and check for crap, over time fuel lines degrade and tiny bits break off and block jets. If in doubt change them, only costs a tenner

Andy
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Elaine View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 16 at 22:33
Thanks very much for your advice Andy.  I have found the Weber carburettor manual, and Weber diagram on Brick Yard.  And found lots of interesting reading while browsing through the LT technical topics (and I"m only on page 28 of 124!).

Seyed had checked the timing.  He thinks that whoever put in that carburettor (which he says is the right one) did something weird with the hoses.  We both think that maybe it could be the reason it's always been a bit sluggish.  Although it's weird that it's now mis-firing when cruising.  Anyhow, have been emailing Seyed all the brilliant bits of info I'm finding.  I do love Brick-yard and all its experts, I am actually impressing people with my (second hand) knowledge of LT 35 engines!!

Thanks again, Elaine 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12