The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water Pump Leak? Cam belts n all...???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 20 at 13:11
Took a few photos to illustrate what im explaining:

Thats the breakage point, hard to see in this photo as its just a little crack but when you bent the belt it opens right up. You can see a stripe a few mm wide all along the right side of the belt which is a lighter colour, looks like it was rubbing at some point. Not sure if that and the crack are related but quite possible.

Here you can see what I mean when i say the belt is pretty far over on the engine side. It's always been like that since I have the van. Last summer I tried moving it over to the left a few mm bit by bit with a screwdriver but it found its way back to that side in no time. Still, no contact as far as i can see.

The part of the back cover which I said was all bent out of place is just under the clip in this photo. As you can see, its still far from straight but we bent it back so it stays far away from the belt.

This is where I think it was rubbing. Photo is from the new setup. On the old setup there was contact between the wire and belt. The wire on the new tensioner still has a few mm of give if i get my finger in there are wiggle it, but it never reaches as far as the belt. Should be ok for now.

Originally posted by Monster LT Monster LT wrote:

I don't think the belt is directional. I can check when I take a look at my spare. It would show on the belt arrows for direction.
Having said that I've not replaced pump belt yet as there is very little space to get at the pulleys.

Na there are no arrows on it, I remember checking it when he told me that. For me it wasn't a proper explanation that the belt was on the wrong way round... so still no idea how the old belt died.

Bit confused about which pulleys you mean, I didnt think there are any on the inj. pump belt? Both times i changed it (well, the first time was me watching someone do it) we just loosened the bolt on the crank coming from the camshaft, once the crank's loose the belt comes off.
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 20 at 21:30
I mean the rear crank pulley and the fuel pump pulley.
You won't find arrows as it's not directional - the belt I mean.
I'd change the pump back to spec and keep an eye on things. Well spotted with that nick. Was only a matter of time before that belt would snap.
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 20 at 15:47
Just to push my point about the ACL having an 18 tooth pump, here's a link to a part that lists the pump for engine code ACL - btw this is the same group I bought the 20 tooth pump from and at that time they didn't list an 18 tooth pump. When I complained it was wrong their tech people didn't have a clue about this error.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 20 at 15:52
Originally posted by Monster LT Monster LT wrote:

Thanks LTCamper89.
The original VW ones that came off 10mnths ago were 12.5x800 for the PAS and 10x800 for the Alternator.
The ones I had  difficulty removing were 13x800 for the PAS and 10x800 for the alt. When I measured old & newer to compare the only difference was the old alt belt was 5mm longer, probably stretched due to age.
Anyway I'm planning to cheat from now on... I've ordered a 13x825 for the PAS which was the most difficult to remove and a 10x813 for the Alt. Hopefully these will go on and off much easier.
The truck mechanic that put 'em on must've had hands of steel otherwise can't think of why there may be such a difference this time around.

The water pump that came off is the original with a '92 stamp on it so never changed and is f'**kd. It's drive sprocket has a rubbery feel and squeaks when turned so I'm guessing the internal o-ring has got out of place and is now stuck. Couldn't tell until the cam belt came off so glad I spotted that little leak.

New pump next to old that retired after 23years and less than 30,000kms of service.

Just to clarify in hindsight... Messing with the size of belts was unnecessary and a mistake. I was having difficulty getting the recommended belt to fit so got one a little bit longer. The problem lied in the way the alt was positioned. Somehow it wasn't perfectly positioned and the alt being taken on and off revealed that later. Point is, if the OEM part doesn't fit then you need to check why. The longer belt was a short-term solution however underlying issue should have been resolved at the time.

Edited by Monster LT - 09 Jan 20 at 16:00
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 22 at 22:58
Old thread revival BUT I think I've spotted a problem here that might be the root cause. Junk, the bottom of your last photo shows the water pump sprocket. I'm pretty sure you've got the wrong water pump fitted! Looks like you've got the earlier water pump. If your engine is an ACL then it should be the same as the one in my photos. Notice the different sprocket? The old water pump position is adjustable to alter cam belt tension. The ACL's is not. It's position is fixed and the cam belts tension is determined with the tensioner pulley.

Edited by Monster LT - 21 Jan 22 at 23:03
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 22 at 23:04
Originally posted by Junk Junk wrote:

Old thread revival BUT I think I've spotted a problem here that might be the root cause. Junk, the bottom of this photo shows the water pump sprocket. I'm pretty sure you've got the wrong water pump fitted! Looks like you've got the earlier water pump. If your engine is an ACL then it should be the same as the one in my photos. Notice the different sprocket? The old water pump position is adjustable to alter cam belt tension. The ACL's is not. It's position is fixed and the cam belts tension is determined with the tensioner pulley.

Edited by Monster LT - 21 Jan 22 at 23:05
Junk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 22 at 11:18
hey monster LT.

Its a couple of years ago now and I don't remember at what point in my long cambelt story I took that photo. In the end it went like this:

-first paid a mechanic to change belts and pump
-fuel pump belt broke unexpectedly and the front end (around the cambelt) was making a horrible noise like a broken bearing when the engine was warm
-i decided that the mechanic I'd gone to had obviously scammed me but I was already out of the country, so I changed the cambelt and tensioners with a friend. The horrible noise went away so I assume it was the bearing from the tensioner.
-six months later I noticed the cut in the cambelt which I posted a photo of. When I turned the engine it made a horrible squeaking noise which a friend reconed was a broken water pump. (I think this is when I took that photo)
-we changed the cambelt and tensioners again, and this time the waterpump too. When we took it out it had the original 95 stamp on it, so the mechanic I had paid in the beginning of the story had obviously either not changed it or changed it for something from a scrappy.
-we ordered a new water pump and got sent one with the adjustable positioner bolt and a different number of teeth (which we've been debating earlier in this post) and we fitted it
-after reading your posts and losing some sleep I ordered another new water pump, to match the original, with correct number of teeth, and fitted it. And since then I had no problems.

So in the end my cambelt came off and went back on again about four times in a year but at least we finally got it sorted.
LT 35 TD from 1995 (ACL engine) with a box truck body
Junk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 22 at 11:23
anyway thanks a lot monster LT for your posts coz it's that which helped me figure out what was going on with the pump I had ordered.

Moral of the story is that a lot of parts suppliers incorrectly list 20 tooth water pumps as a part for the ACL engine but don't believe what they say, find an 18-toother!
LT 35 TD from 1995 (ACL engine) with a box truck body
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12