FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

positive review of T5!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: positive review of T5!!
    Posted: 11 Mar 17 at 20:46
Positive with my 10 yr old 2.5 , just general service items really , brakes battery 1x drive shaft boot a pair of rear shocks and a starter solenoid .
still drives nice and looks good .
What is most apparent is the way they hold their value compared to other vans
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
sunny43.5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny43.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 05:25
I have a tale of good news and a tale of bad , my work van 2005 humble 2.0 petrol manual has just ticked over 305000 km here in Australia , brakes when needed clutch done at 230000 kays . DMF is still going even though it is rooted in reverse , other than services and timing belt at each 100000kays its been bloody bullet proof never broken down a real work horse . Second T5 2004 2.5 Turbo diesel Tiptronic , piece of shit ! Typical VW not building for our hot climate . Water pump failed at only 30000 kays followed not long after by failed intercooler connection failure . sliding door rollers failed causing door to almost hit the road . Then at 110000 kays the auto gave up the ghost due to VW stupidity which I managed to prove to them and got a 50% goodwill payment for repairs . Shortly after that fiasco the Turbo went to lunch along with few other gems , so how much spent on my work horse with simple non high tech engineering around $5000 over the last ten years and 300000 plus kays that's clutch brakes servicing etc . The other van with auto turbo and all the other disasters over $25 k in repairs and only 120000 when sold .

Edited by sunny43.5 - 20 Feb 17 at 05:27
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 16 at 05:29
Mines done 220k in ten years and probably replaced most of the van by now, it's looked after but it works hard for its keep

Edited by festa - 28 Nov 16 at 05:30
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 16 at 00:46
Originally posted by gasone gasone wrote:

well my t5 will be 10 years old next march and it hasn't broken down once bar flat battery due to me leaving light or radio on  , I had the oil cooler or the like replaced under warranty , managed to break the rear springs and shocks  so replaced them with heavy duty ones on the rear , gone through usually things like tyres and pads , just coming up to nearly 35k on the clock , body work is still spot on 

Seriously? only 35k in ten years?  you've probably walked further than that going to and from the van fetching tools in that time.

that van is going to last you a very long time!
gasone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gasone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 16 at 10:34
well my t5 will be 10 years old next march and it hasn't broken down once bar flat battery due to me leaving light or radio on  , I had the oil cooler or the like replaced under warranty , managed to break the rear springs and shocks  so replaced them with heavy duty ones on the rear , gone through usually things like tyres and pads , just coming up to nearly 35k on the clock , body work is still spot on 
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 16 at 15:31
Pretty similar here, my 140 van is over 4 years old. Done only 63000 miles though but its been pretty much trouble free. A couple of heated mirror lenses packed up, and an inner driveshaft oil seal started to weep.
All done under warranty. While it was in for the oil seal, I got them to check the drive shafts, and they reckoned they were that that good, they thought they had been replaced !
Still on original pads, fronts barely half worn, although i'm really easy on brakes.
T6 on the way.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 16 at 01:30
I hope your 2nd one is just as good as the first  Thumbs Up
john the sparky View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john the sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 16 at 22:09
so regardless of everyone elses experiences,

I  sold my T5GP on sunday, it was a T30 140 4motion

it had 106000 miles, 

the clutch was fine, I hadn't had a steering knock, I had no turbo, dpf or egr problems

in fact, apart from a bit of bodywork, and a failed valve for the rear diff lock (that was sorted under warranty) it was great.

it had 4 sets of tyres, 2 sets of rear pads, one set of fronts (and will be due fronts soon) I had to top the oil up once.

the dealers I used were fine.

So sorry and all that, but based on my experience I got myself a T6 T32 140 4 motion, I only picked it up today, but it seems to be a little more refined and I really like it!
 Post Reply Post Reply