The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cali or florida

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cali or florida
    Posted: 13 Jun 16 at 20:36
Hi all I am looking at selling my T3 California to buy a LT1 Florida (I need the space )
Can anyone advise me on the major differences in these two vehicle (I know the Florida is bigger )I.e are the parts the same price ,just as easy to source ,fuel economy reliability....Thanks all for your help
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 16 at 21:03
Nope. Many Lt1 parts are now obsolete
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 16 at 21:51

Pah, obsolete if you want to buy new parts, but where's the fun in that!  Big smile

Also, a Florida out-awesomes a cali anyday, and you know it bro!

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 16 at 21:53

In all seriousness though, there are pro's and con's for both.  I can only speak from personal experience, which is Florida based.

Ours has been fantastic, and for us (Me, Mrs Chappy and the two kids), it's perfect.

We have space, shower, hot water, decent rate of travel (65-70 on motorway is sensible), and low to mid 30's economy overall which is about what out T3 with an AAZ and AAP gearbox got. Plus the whole thing fits in a standard sized parking space.

The availability of parts can be a little more challenging than getting T3 parts, but I haven't failed to find a part yet. You just need to spend a little time researching, and if anything it appears to be getting easier as the LT1's gain popularity.

We haven't looked back, and our last van was a 2002 Karmann Colorado!

If you are considering buying a Flo, my advice to you would be buy right and buy once. 

Go for one that is as original as possible and hasn't been messed about with.  And above all else make sure everything works.
The boiler, fridge and eberspacher heater especially - they are a pain in the neck to repair/replace if not working.

I paid about $6500 for ours in Germany, and spent about £3k back here on fixing stuff (that's another story), but if I did it again, I'd be very choosing and spend £10k at least.
Give me a shout if you want any specific info.

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Celia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 16 at 21:57
Thanks all for this great advise. We have put our california up for sale now to have cash. So all systems go to.gey a florida!!! Wish us luck
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 16 at 09:38
Yeah I'm with Chappy (hi Chappy!) 

I've owned LT's for 12 years and never been stuck with the ability ti find pares. In fact I don't know anyone who hasn't been able to fix their series 1 LT somehow. Even the 4x4 LT owners manage to get parts (although in extreme cases they have had to get components fabricated - but there are still businesses out there who will do this).

The Florida to my mind is the best of all worlds, exactly as Chappy says.

I spent a lot of time researching vans and writing about my experiences. Some of it may be of interest to you. Most is in the blog on vwlt.co.uk but some is also on campervanman.co.uk

[URLhttp://www.campervanman.co.uk/2014/11/16/importing-a-lhd-campervan-vw-lt28-westfalia-florida-into-the-uk/[/URL]

Have fun
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 16 at 18:24
I bought the floridas newer brother.
A westfalia James cook.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Post Reply Post Reply