The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EU...in or out...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 26>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Hamnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 16 at 13:55
Originally posted by traversd traversd wrote:

Worth a watch

I've seen this before.
Why is this sort of content not being broadcast?
Mike Noc View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Noc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 16 at 21:04
Originally posted by traversd traversd wrote:

Worth a watch

Well worth a watch and very informative. But I'd be more interested to hear more about what he had to say on the 3 big issues everyone else is talking about; the cost of EU membership, freedom of movement within the EU and sovereignty - to be fair he did mention the last two but pretty much glossed over them.

If the EU can overrule UK Parliament law then as far as I can see that is a loss of sovereignty.

One interesting thing he did mention was how we can trade goods and services within the EU universally. In theory and law perfectly true, but in practice not always the case. It costs money to go to court to try to prove illegal protectionism, and for many firms it isn't worth the risk.

I reckon instead of giving a lecture, Professor Dougan should be entering into the TV debates. 

'The Big Slow' LT35 1989 normally aspirated Diesel Horsebox - Gone but not forgotten.
Tim Hamnett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Hamnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 16 at 21:30
https://www.facebook.com/GeorgeAylett123/photos/a.515380191972759.1073741828.492088307635281/577511665759611/?type=3
This may contain the answer to one question.
When you see it in proportion it puts things into perspective a little.
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 16 at 21:49
With regard to the whole UK / EU sovereignty thing, there's a good Chatham House paper covering this in some detail which you can download here.
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 16 at 20:21
Originally posted by nicq nicq wrote:

Originally posted by silverbullet silverbullet wrote:

^^^ that just about sums up the extent of the leave campaign in my eyes.

Driving a German made van, aren't you?

I have a Toyota as well but I don't want the Country run buy Japan.
What a silly comment.

I found the comments about grandad fighting Jerry equally silly...
I just hope that sense prevails and we dont end up a pariah nation.
Have I missed anything?
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 16 at 11:30
Many of the battle of Britain pilots were poles and other immigrants....

That old my grandad didn't fight the war for nothing bollocks annoys me.

My grandad died during the war, he fell out of the guard tower at belsen Pissed!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 16 at 19:48
Well that's me voted.

Got in a heap of fancy Scottish beers to work my way through this evening while I await the results...

Quaffed a couple already and I'm trying to pondering the various implications if it's an out result.
EG. Who will have to pay for my new driving license without the Euro stars? And will the price of wine, pizza and pain au chocolats increase? Confused

And this whole Euro thing has also started me reminiscing back to the time I spent many summers in my younger years working in France and Italy with lovely Dutch girls as bed warmers sharing our different cultural backgrounds... LOL
Have to admit the delightful company of those Euro babes meant my job as windsurfing instructor was compromised. Too much wine and conversation sometimes resulted in me not being able to get my mast up. Embarrassed

Edited by danstervan - 23 Jun 16 at 19:50
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 16 at 20:28
My nephew sent me this earlier 😄

friday's going to be amazing! i'm going to wake up in my Union Jack jim-jams to the sound of a squadron of Spitfires racing overhead and leaving a trail of hot buttered crumpets behind them

I'll run to the corner shop past all the british children who are laughing and squealing with excitement as they make a beautiful statue of the queen out of happy wriggling bulldog puppies - with two corgis for her eyebrows!

bunting flutters everywhere and the man from the betting shop steps into the street - "guess what! England just won the World Cup & The Ashes & The Grand National and here's the best bit - Boris put a bet on it for everyone! you're all MILLIONAIRES!!!"

the red arrows fly overhead dropping fish and chips as i walk into the corner shop, get my morning paper and go to the counter. "how much please?" i say to the asian lad there. "1 pence, everything in the whole shop now costs just 1p!" he laughs, "leave it on the counter, i'm off back to pakistan - we all are!"

and he's right! outside in the streets jolly old nigel farage is leading a huge crowd of happy foreigners - turks, poles, romanians, syrians - there's even a few English people with heavy suntans mixed up in there! nigel's playing Rule Britannia on a long pipe, rather like the pipe that takes the gas into your oven, and they're all following and smiling and talking foreign, bless them!

just then boris flies overhead in a concorde made of Bank of England gold - "don't worry!" he laughs "I've cut out all the bits the French made!" and with that he crashes into the ground at 1200 miles an hour, along with the economy, the country and all the dozy nostalgic foreigner-fearing fuckwits who fell for his bullshit.

grow up. wake up.

IN
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
1.8T Conversion sat on an engine stand waiting for spare time.
nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 16 at 20:42
Originally posted by T3Panel T3Panel wrote:

friday's going to be amazing! i'm going to wake up in my Union Jack jim-jams to the sound of a squadron of Spitfires racing overhead and leaving a trail of hot buttered crumpets behind them

I'll run to the corner shop past all the british children who are laughing and squealing with excitement as they make a beautiful statue of the queen out of happy wriggling bulldog puppies - with two corgis for her eyebrows!

bunting flutters everywhere and the man from the betting shop steps into the street - "guess what! England just won the World Cup & The Ashes & The Grand National and here's the best bit - Boris put a bet on it for everyone! you're all MILLIONAIRES!!!"

the red arrows fly overhead dropping fish and chips as i walk into the corner shop, get my morning paper and go to the counter. "how much please?" i say to the asian lad there. "1 pence, everything in the whole shop now costs just 1p!" he laughs, "leave it on the counter, i'm off back to pakistan - we all are!"

and he's right! outside in the streets jolly old nigel farage is leading a huge crowd of happy foreigners - turks, poles, romanians, syrians - there's even a few English people with heavy suntans mixed up in there! nigel's playing Rule Britannia on a long pipe, rather like the pipe that takes the gas into your oven, and they're all following and smiling and talking foreign, bless them!

just then boris flies overhead in a concorde made of Bank of England gold - "don't worry!" he laughs "I've cut out all the bits the French made!" and with that he crashes into the ground at 1200 miles an hour, along with the economy, the country and all the dozy nostalgic foreigner-fearing fuckwits who fell for his bullshit.

grow up. wake up.

IN

On the other side according to the Telegraph Turkey will have VIsa free entre into the UK in July so you can share your town with a possible twice the population it has at the moment and learn a new language.
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 16 at 21:05
just a bit of light hearted silliness. Im not debating the argument any more, it's not worth my time and energy. Polls shut in 55 minutes, we'll find out either way tomorrow.
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 16 at 21:05
The EU referendum has happened because of the complete failure of our immigration experiment.
For decades we have had over a million and a half economic migrants completely refusing to assimilate, they won’t learn the language, insisting on their own food and restaurants, sitting about all day and being a drain on the local health services...
Let us apologise right now to Europe, and bring the Brits abroad back home, because I for one can’t wait to see their greeting faces, and the Spanish will be glad to get their country back! LOL

Here's one for the small minded out there.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Hamnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 16 at 22:09
Originally posted by T3Panel T3Panel wrote:

grow up. wake up.

IN

Brilliant!!
Have you considered a career change?Big smile
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 16 at 22:35
polls closed 34 mins ago.

I'm going to call it:
Turnout 86%
Remain Win by 58%

any others put their polling balls on the chopping block?
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 16 at 22:42
I hear there could be flooding in north England.
That may happen because of all the Scottish people pissing themselves if Scottish votes end up tipping the balance and keeping the UK in the EU even if England votes to leave! LOL
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Hamnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 16 at 23:21
On the one hand I'd like a nice clear remain vote 60+%.
On the other 52 ish% would hasten Camerons exit and the implosion of the tories forever!Thumbs Up
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 16 at 23:25
I think it's going to be quite close, and no idea which way. One thing is for sure, the TV coverage is Fucking pointless. Watching a bunch of twats guessing what might happen. They could have put a decent film on or something instead 😂
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 16 at 05:06
Phew, that was a long night. Clean sweep for stay in Scotland but dragged out against our will. Ouch
Well we tried to save you...

clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 16 at 06:38
The feeling is the same here in London but unfortunately we don't have a route to splitting off and leaving little England behind. Angry
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
Mike Noc View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Noc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 16 at 07:31
Originally posted by danstervan danstervan wrote:

Phew, that was a long night. Clean sweep for stay in Scotland but dragged out against our will. Ouch
Well we tried to save you...

Serious question Dan - just trying to get my head round this; if a second referendum is called and Scotland left the Union, do you think your fellow Countrymen and Women would go on to vote in favour of joining the EU (including taking on the Euro) as it stands today? 
'The Big Slow' LT35 1989 normally aspirated Diesel Horsebox - Gone but not forgotten.
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 16 at 10:33
Welcome you Brits to the world of outsidenes. Now we are not the only country on the list of countries the sellers on Ebay dont ship to. Now we are not the only country some german part suppliers don't ship to. Ahhh it is so great to not be alone anymore.

Welcome.
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 26>