The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EU...in or out...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 26>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 12:04
This is my point are you saying that there are no small firms that can afford to trade into the EU at the moment.
Its bolox how many farms in the far east trade into the EU etc
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 12:45
Ha. You must realise how silly that comparison is.

How much do the staff at those Far East companies get paid hourly? Do they get paid maternity leave? Do they have access to free healthcare? Does the company worry about worker safety or pollution? Etc.

If you're advocating, like I'm sure Liam Fox and Rees-Mogg do in private, for 'de-regulation' to make us more like a Far East country for example, then shouldn't you perhaps be up front about it, and stop pretending that we can carry on as normal?

1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 13:06
Some of the far east countries earn more than the average here in the UK .
Singapore, most of the Arab countries.
As far as 'de-regulation' i am sure most of the paperwork req for EU could be dumped if logic was applied as opposed to empire building
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 13:44
Apples to oranges.

Singapore is a de-facto single party state with corporal and capital punishment and limitations on free speech and protest. It also has trade deal with the EU which we won't have on the 30th March.

And most of those Arab countries have an economy based entirely upon vast oil reserves, and many rely on vast numbers of poorly paid migrant labour from countries like Nepal, who to all intents and purposes are treated as slaves.

Oh, and those EU regulations. Which ones specifically is it that you think are about empire building that we will be able to get rid of?
nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 15:53
Oh and we don't rely on cheap labour from abroad for our farming etc.
What about fishing quoters where 60% of catches are thrown away dead.
Its obvious that are so blinkerd this is pointless
nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 15:56
I am not against a common market just the EU
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 20:29
nicq. I'm not sure where to start with what you are attempting to say.

I've been round half a dozen businesses this week speaking to them in preparation for an event we're putting on relating to the impact the UK leaving the EU will have on their specific business and also the wider implications of such a process and how it will affect our society.
Every one of those businesses was unique. Some trade globally both importing and exporting, some trade only within the EU both importing and exporting, some only trade within the UK.
Some of their produce currently have Geographic Indicators. Some are run by, or utilise nonUK EU Nationals as staff.
One business imports multiple different large and expensive parts from across various EU members states to produce their product. They are busy running their day to day business and do not have the time nor expertise to begin to look into the complex multifaceted legal, trade, and regulatory issues of a yet unknown type of leaving the EU.

You need to grasp that there will be massive implications for these differing businesses to deal with and survive. Remember that these businesses also employ many people that need that work and wage to pay the bills and raise their families. If you're in a privileged enough position to be shielded from all this lucky you. The majority of folk are not in that position.

You also mention farming and its labour force. What you say is totally at odds with farming in my area of the UK. Many farms local to me are absolutely reliant on the nonUK EU Nationals that do the work, while others farms are only currently able to continue running with the assistance of the EU LFA subsidies.

You've actually and helpfully just highlighted the failings of the UK again where various uniform cross state powers such as immigration, employment, trade and industry being reserved to Westminster don't work for certain constituent parts of the UK.
With the greatest of respect and importantly no hate at all for my southern neighbours, I'll point out that England has effectively voted for its independence, please get on with that and sort out your own internal political shitfest yourselves and stop dragging others into the mess you have created.

You know a country has issues when it sends in mounted police on horseback to deal with kids protesting against climate change, but lets a bunch of right wing fascists do their own thing. Wink

nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 20:34
I need to grasp
You patronising idiot.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 20:43
Originally posted by nicq nicq wrote:

I need to grasp
You patronising idiot.

Hmm, a full 5 minutes to mull over and consider all that I wrote and you can come back with that. Ermm
Change it to "consider" if it doesn't hurt your feelings too much. LOL

nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 20:52
No I just realised that is why they knocked them remoaners.
I have worked all my life for British German and Italian firms then my own firm, I watched Italy Greece and to an extent the UK stripe of its industry with loans from the EU to move which has made Germany and France more prosperous. It needs to be stopped.
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 20:53

Oh and we don't rely on cheap labour from abroad for our farming etc.
What about fishing quoters where 60% of catches are thrown away dead.
Its obvious that are so blinkerd this is pointless

Farm labourers in this country are still paid the minimum wage, and they still have the same protections as other workers. Fishing quotas is not something I know about so couldn't comment, although I do know that fishing represents a vary small part of the UK economy, less than 1%, and most of what we catch is exported to the EU and beyond.

P.S. I'm not blinkered, it's just that facts tend to be stubborn things.
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 20:58

I am not against a common market just the EU

You say you are for the common market, and yet you are against the shared regulations that underpin it. Some contradiction surely.
nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 21:16
It seems to me you just want an argument.
Grow up
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 21:33

It seems to me you just want an argument.
Grow up

It's not an argument it's a debate. You advocate for your viewpoint and I advocate for mine. If your viewpoint doesn't withstand scrutiny then I'm afraid that suggests that it isn't valid.

And there's no need for insults.

Edited by clift_d - 18 Feb 19 at 09:13
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 21:57
Drip drip drip

FlyBMI shuts up shop blaming Brexit uncertainty

Porsche asking buyers to sign contract to pay 10% surcharge in case of Brexit

Im sure there'll be a positive Brexit story along any time soon... NOT.
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 19 at 19:24
Drip drip drip

UK's richest man - Brexit supporting Jim Ratcliffe plans to move £4bn fortune to Monaco

< irony > Why don't these people just believe more in Brexit? < / irony >

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 19 at 23:34
What I don't understand is surely the EU wants (needs ? ) to sell lots of stuff (including services) to the UK as well as vice versa, but the EU negotiators are behaving as if the trade is all one way (ie UK goods & services going to the EU).  Or is there actually a huge imbalance of trade between the EU and the UK ?

Even if there is a hard brexit it isn't really in the EU's best interests to put a lot of hurdles in the way of two way trade, as they will lose out as well.

I understand that the EU is doing lots of (possibly empty) posturing to discourage any other country from even considering leaving the EU, but it looks a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me.  And all the uncertainty is definitely bad for everyone (EU and UK).

Edited by gregozedobe - 17 Feb 19 at 23:37
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 19 at 23:47
The UK government estimates that the hit to the UK economy of a 'No Deal' will be a 9.3% loss of GDP - that's a loss of around £190 billion per year. To put that in context:

- the hit to the UK economy of the 2008 crash, which led to ten years of austerity, was approximately 2.3% of GDP - so the cost of a 'No Deal' would be approximately four times worse.
    - the EU has a GDP of around £11,252 billion without the UK. If we assume that all of that loss of £190 billion represents a loss in trade with the EU, then it only represents 1.6% of EU GDP and is shared by 27 economies.

Some will say you cannot trust the UK government figures - WMD etc, but they tie up with the impacts suggested by The Bank of England, The European Central Bank, and The International Monetary Fund. You could also choose to ignore all these other figures as well, but at some point you have to start asking what you are actually basing any decision on.

They (the EU) are much more prepared than the UK for a no deal - they started issuing their Brexit no deal guidance notices around eight months before the UK government did, and the hit to their economy will be much less severe than the hit to ours.

The thing that our politicians have failed to grasp is that the EU places a higher value on the integrity of the Customs Union than our trade is worth to them. They do not want to take the economic hit but they see it as a temporary hit, and a 'less worse' option than disrupting the economic area in the long term.

Edited by clift_d - 18 Feb 19 at 11:23
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 19 at 12:02
Controversial State Broadcaster the BBC accurately reporting for once. Tongue

Don't listen to the girl though. Wink

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 19 at 15:55
Better feckin hurry up building those Allegros chaps! You're going to need them...

One needs to "consider" how those workers are going to cope when they lose their jobs. Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 26>