The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EU...in or out...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 26>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 16 at 13:12
Originally posted by clift_d clift_d wrote:

The feeling is the same here in London but unfortunately we don't have a route to splitting off and leaving little England behind. Angry

I guess you are now feeling how Scotland has felt for a long time. That is being in a situation where we are outnumbered 10 to 1 and that the larger pool nearly always decide our fate.

Originally posted by Mike Noc Mike Noc wrote:

Serious question Dan - just trying to get my head round this; if a second referendum is called and Scotland left the Union, do you think your fellow Countrymen and Women would go on to vote in favour of joining the EU (including taking on the Euro) as it stands today? 

This is a real Pandora's Box that has been opened Mike. It's uncharted territory, and even before the vote there were multiple different permutations and scenarios on what the various results from different nations would be. That alone makes it difficult to commit to forecasting what will happen till this plays out.

Already it is very apparent that the Brexiters have no clear plan in place.

Personally I think the EU does need reforming, and this result may kick-start the EU to change in ways that could be either beneficial or damaging to Scotland.
The Euro currency is also a dangerous thing to commit to as other nations can effectively control or leverage Eurozone members.
I would have preferred if Scotland could have gained its independence prior to making a decision on whether to be in the EU or not but we were not afforded that luxury. We have to play with the cards we are dealt. I would also prefer long term if Scotland had its own currency.

For you guys, England has to wake up and realise the mainstream media is absolutely appalling. It doesn't inform people by reporting the news, it tries to set the agenda rather than report it.
Pure propaganda through and through and it obviously manages to influence people and distract them from the reality of what is actually going on.
I suspect the English electorate recognise there are issues and are frustrated at the current situation and have reacted to the divide and rule agenda, but unfortunately in this instance they have lashed out at the wrong party in the EU. The problem is Westminster.

Fortunately in Scotland we have a great deal of extremely switched and politically aware people on blogs and social media who have spent years discussing the permutations and consensus as events develop. I don't even bother with newspapers or TV. Gave them up over a decade ago, yet I've never been better informed than I am now.

danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 16 at 13:17
Mods can delete as double posted.

Edited by danstervan - 24 Jun 16 at 22:11
Mike Noc View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Noc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 16 at 15:15
Originally posted by danstervan danstervan wrote:

For you guys, England has to wake up and realise the mainstream media is absolutely appalling.

Found that out years ago. Was involved in two issues that made the papers, and they didn't report them a bit out, they got them completely arse about face.

Just had a thought. Why don't we forget free trade with Europe and just ask them how many percent they want to charge us on top, then charge them exactly the same percentage in return?

End of the year we pay out to our exporters so they end up trading freely, and the surplus from us buying more in than we sell to Europe goes to the schools and hospitals fund. Sorted. LOL

Edited by Mike Noc - 24 Jun 16 at 15:21
'The Big Slow' LT35 1989 normally aspirated Diesel Horsebox - Gone but not forgotten.
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 16 at 21:06
Originally posted by T3Panel T3Panel wrote:

Fucking pointless. Watching a bunch of twats guessing what might happen.

Observation of forums and FB at the mo?

Safe for cheap Polish fags for a few years yet so happy enough. The lot of us are going to be ashes in a generation or so, probably will only be remembered by very old google searches.

Stress about interest rates, stress about taxes, stress about the £ v $ v €, stress about it all.

And why? because all of the above, and more, affect your happiness and well being.

Suck it up either way, or carry on stressing. Doesnt matter. None of is worth a shit if you dont get it.

Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 16 at 22:43
Its a fookin disaster I tell thee, England will never win the Eurovision song contest now! LOL

I had a belter of a song written for you to...."Land of no hope and Tory"... Cool
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 16 at 22:49
Oh, look, I just found 90 pence.

silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 16 at 10:23
Happy now? Think I will cling to the so-called Guardian comments section "poisoned chalice conspiracy theory" doing the rounds, for comfort.
Have I missed anything?
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 01:21

Edited by light - 11 Jul 16 at 01:42
Tim Hamnett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Hamnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 10:52
Another eloquent, knowledgable, studied voice that got nowhere near the debate in the mass media.
Interestingly, these are the sort of voices that inform the new left of Corbyn and McDonnell, hence why its difficult to be wholeheartedly in praise of the EU, even when your sure our future is more secure within.

I'm voting IN for round two.
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 11:32
You might not get the chance, and even if you do it could already probably be too late by that point. The first round of brexit redundancies at my workplace has already been announced. Angry

Edited by clift_d - 11 Jul 16 at 11:51
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
donecan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donecan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 12:24
Really? Shit. What do you do for a living?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Hamnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 12:35
It'll only happen if we shout loud enough. Mays coronation seems to be a deal done for a quick execution of article 50.
Best bet is her position is untenable without a general election, but the Labour PLP has fallen very neatly into
the trap set some time ago. Angela Eagles anouncement interupted by Leadsoms anouncement. No coincidence.
Once again our countrys future decided by back room deals and manouvres by the high and mighty.
I think we have all had enough of that!
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 12:44
Construction industry, mostly working for the big housebuilders on large scale residential projects.

Edited by clift_d - 11 Jul 16 at 12:53
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
Mike Noc View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Noc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 21:14
Originally posted by Tim Hamnett Tim Hamnett wrote:

Once again our countrys future decided by back room deals and manouvres by the high and mighty.
I think we have all had enough of that!

We have indeed.

Assuming that May invokes Article 50, for once our Country's future direction has actually been decided by the people.
'The Big Slow' LT35 1989 normally aspirated Diesel Horsebox - Gone but not forgotten.
nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 21:43
Sort of, the actual detail we have no say in.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Hamnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 21:44
Whatever your point of view regarding leaving the EU, I think what I said above applies to the referendum as well.
The Tories have allways leant that way, and the timing of the referendum, the manipulation of the media, the form of the referendum, the stirring up of anti immigrant feeling  etc, etc, all add to the mix. There is no perfect way of doing these things, but a referendum is always a snapshot of public opinion and easily manipulated in the short term.

Mike Noc View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Noc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 22:17
True enough they do manipulate things, but I don't think this particular issue is a Tory thing. The official Government line was to remain, and Call Me Dave threw all his toys out of the pram and then the towel in when he lost, and couldn't even be bothered to follow the direction he was given.

If you want to put the blame in the political arena blame Corbyn - it was the old Labour heartlands that voted overwhelmingly out. He never appeared to get much above tepid in support of the Remainers, although to be fair that might have been more to do with his hatred of Cameron and the rest of the Tories, which is understandable.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Hamnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 22:27
Cameron doesn't care either way. He was off to enjoy the after dinner circuit and his not inconsiderable fortune anyway.
Corbyn was on the road speaking for HIS in campaign for weeks on end. Just a shame that if you were't actualy there, you would have had no idea, because nobody wanted to cover it. He wouldn't take the same stand as the Tories as his message was hugely different.

Edited by Tim Hamnett - 11 Jul 16 at 22:32
JILLY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JILLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 01:46
So what was the point of deleting my comments Mods? And equally as important the replies? If we are going to have a sensible debate on the subject two sides are needed, no? The people have voted in favour of leaving the EU, not just the people on this forum. What really pissed me off was being accused of a being a Daily Mail reader. Jeez, grow up.
1991 LT35e
2003 Beetle TDI (hers)
1991 Fiat Panda 750 Mania (for sale)
1985 T3 Devon pop top
2000 MGF
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 08:10
Originally posted by JILLY JILLY wrote:

So what was the point of deleting my comments Mods? And equally as important the replies? If we are going to have a sensible debate on the subject two sides are needed, no? The people have voted in favour of leaving the EU, not just the people on this forum. What really pissed me off was being accused of a being a Daily Mail reader. Jeez, grow up.

You're looking at the wrong thread. I accused you of being a daily mail reader when you made some ridiculous and verging on racist slur against The Mayor of London.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/diesels-under-attack-again_topic91722.html

Although, I see you comments have been deleted there.
I'm sorry to offend you but your comment did come across as pretty tasteless and it offended me.

Edited by ob1 - 12 Jul 16 at 08:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 26>