The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EU...in or out...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote donecan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EU...in or out...
    Posted: 24 May 16 at 11:14
There's a (mostly) friendly debate over on the other forum about the upcoming referendum. Not trying to start a political fire, or get too serious, just intrigued how people's attitudes might differ on here compared to over there?

Thoughts?

Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 12:00
If I was allowed to vote I don't know which way I'd go.

I can see the point in the EU but I don't like the fact that those making the decisions haven't been voted in.

I'm hoping that there won't a spite vote in favour of leaving.

Both sides are coming out with some real guff at the moment but remainers have the biggest bucket of bullshit.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
donecan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donecan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 16:21
You're right, there's all sorts of shit being spouted by both sides...if you don't mind me asking are you natively German or British? 

What's the general atmosphere in Germany regarding the UK thinking of doing a runner?
GMAN140 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMAN140 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 16:48
Im voting to stay in because if were not not in we cant influence them and we will be a little fish in a big pond. 
Give it a 100 years and it could be something stronger the America and i love the idea of telling them where to go .
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 18:11
General opinion I get from everyone I know is happy to stay in if it wasn't for immigration/asylum seekers.

We're not talking casual racists or xenophobes - just the average chap(s) who feels slightly aggrieved that school places are over subscribed, doctors surgery over subscribed, social housing etc. I guess it's all very well having a rapidly expanding population if the public services provided cater for the numbers.

Maybe look at why the UK is a good choice for immigrants? I guess there must be a law governing parity of pay for benefits received.

Asylum/illegals? Follow the law maybe?

As has been said, so much shite being produced I have yet to see well qualified statistics either way.

I pay the local polish community £4 for 20 Marlboro so happy days.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 23:51
Originally posted by ELVIS ELVIS wrote:

I pay the local polish community £4 for 20 Marlboro so happy days.

and I've been on the phone to you when you've done such a deal at the school gates..

I really don't know and I usually know exactly where I stand politically.

it's all rhetoric and summation as to the outcome of an in or out vote.  

The financial markets will panic and be unsettled for at least 36 months if we vote to leave, which means the only assets to invest in if you have money to make more money from is gold or bricks and mortar.

Which is what the people with money will do.

Tag on the end of this the slump/crisis in the oil market (and therefore all other commodities) means that house prices will rise, fuelled by investors and low interest rates, the stock market will plateau and there will be a discontent with major blue chips expanding in the UK rather than france/germany.

IF the powers that be change the VAT rate again then I won't sleep for three months sorting shit out..

fuck knows.
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 23:55
Asylum/illegals is a fucking red herring.  we're not in schengen (sp?) so if we wanted to stop people we have the power anyway.  

As someone who has an office in Dover, and friends who drive trucks across the continent it's our lack of policing not the EU that is to "blame".

We are capitalists and market forces drives workforce migration.  Time and hindsight are a great leveller. 

Edited by mrhutch - 24 May 16 at 23:56
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 00:38
Indeed it is chap. International Asylum laws are separate to schengen. But it does go hand in hand under the immigration/migration umbrella which the average chap on the street appears to be disgruntled at due to benefits (no pun intended) offered/gained.

If i was from *insert former Eastern European county now in EU* and i could move elsewhere that wasn't shit/as shit? Of course i would, think most people would. 

As previous, the world is fucking peachy if the public infrastructures can support the numbers they were intended to serve. Not sure about your neck of the woods but in this call-sign, it doesn't.

Polish Marlboro - just ordered 3 cartons for £120 since i last posted! Fucking love the Poles i do!

Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

JILLY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JILLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 02:18
Well its a big NO, I want out! I live in the fens, thats where all your veg comes from, or a lot of it anyway. Round here there is a really large influx of Eastern Europeans. Yep, they are keen workers but sadly that is at the expense of young native Brits. I have a couple of storys. First one my youngest son, 19, got a job at a local firm packing spuds for supermarkets. He didnt mind doing the job but come break time he decides he will sit in his car to have a fag in the car park cos he doesnt want to stay with the rest of the workforce in the fag shelter basically cos he cant talk Lithuanian. He gets a warning for this so he thinks its because he is smoking in his car........... A few days later he gets called to the office again. This time he has been reported for eating crisps in his car!!!!!!! Upshot was he was sacked. The foreigners didnt like him, hes stole one of their jobs! Next story. Older son, 22, gets a job as a dustman but via an agency. He has been doing this for about a year now. He likes doing the job even though its 6am start and he doesnt finish until 4pm at the earliest. Minimum wage of course. He has just been offered the chance of a contract with the local council and has applied for said position but heres the rub....... Up until now the agency has only sent the council native English speaking lads, maybe its the Unions? Who knows. But now he tells me that has just changed. So another job for Brits has just disappeared with the dust, excuse the pun. Now we all know the Eastern Europeans are up for improving themselves, they work hard and want to get on in a foreign land but sadly that is at the expense of our native younger generation. Even now the majority of them seem to be quite content collecting dole money and then spending it on dope to suppress their sad lazy minds and this govenment doesnt seem to care? Or even try to do something about it? I cannot directly influence government decisions in this country buts hats off, and I am sure Dave will regret it, they have given me the chance to help my kids.
1991 LT35e
2003 Beetle TDI (hers)
1991 Fiat Panda 750 Mania (for sale)
1985 T3 Devon pop top
2000 MGF
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 05:33
Originally posted by donecan donecan wrote:

You're right, there's all sorts of shit being spouted by both sides...if you don't mind me asking are you natively German or British? 

What's the general atmosphere in Germany regarding the UK thinking of doing a runner?

I'm natively (Y)orkshire.

The general atmosphere with regard to the UK is  - who?

Edited by Titus A Duxass - 25 May 16 at 05:35
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 05:34
Originally posted by GMAN140 GMAN140 wrote:

Im voting to stay in because if were not not in we cant influence them .....

But the UK can't even influence them now.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 09:38
Originally posted by Titus A Duxass Titus A Duxass wrote:

You only have to look at the so called improvements Cameron negotiated for us.
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 11:07

Both sides are coming out with some real guff at the moment but remainers have the biggest bucket of bullshit.

this is the biggest problem, its almost got to the point where they come on tv yelling

'if we stay in EU we will all die' 

'if we leave the EU we will all die'

which means the average joe just stops listening to it all

i (personally) think the money we give to the EU will be a bigger influence on voting than immigrants, all the waffle about milk/petrol/houses/immigrants/etc are all tangible to the person in the street but a random figure like 700 billion to the EU in return for something the public cant hold in their hand (whether it benefits them or not) is a bit harder to explain 
more people in this country will have been affected by government cutbacks than by immigrants and they might vote to keep money in the UK's wallet 

the 'stay in' campaigners seem to be more scared of the voting outcome, maybe because there might actually be a decent public turnout this time 
donecan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donecan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 11:48
Similar to hutch, I normally have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to vote for in advance...this time, not sure, realistically because no-one else does either! There's no accurate prediction for what would happen either way...we're just taking a leap...

Farming family, they want out…missus works in the arts, she wants in…both myself and her are keen on what the EU does to force our lazy government to take notice of the environment (which they tend to treat as a policy tick box rather than a real issue) so I guess I'm leaning towards in?

We like our vans and getting about in the great outdoors, for all it's faults, the EU seems to have helped us clean up our beaches, rivers, air etc. Left to our own devices I don't imagine we'd have done the same...

Edited by donecan - 25 May 16 at 11:57
Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 18:37
I was hovering around the idea of staying in but the negative campaigning of the in campaigners has swung me in the opposite direction, I don't mind the idea of being European which will always be but I really think that Great Britain as the 5th largest economy in the world could and should be able to get on without being tied to the bureaucracy of the EU and will be better for it.

I've not seen any evidence yet to support any of the scaremongering coming from Cameron et al, but I still  think people are too scared to vote to leave, personally I think it should be seen as something very positive that we can break away and rebuild our identity as a country. 

Nigel Lawson was on Jeremy Vines program yesterday, its well worth a listen and settled my mind to vote to leave.
gusbang View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gusbang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 19:22
I'm voting OUT!

I was undecided until I watched "Brexit the movie".

All I keep hearing are very good sound reasons to leave backed up with facts and stats.

All I keep hearing from the parties that want to stay in are scaremongering stories not based on any fact or stats.

If you're undecided you should read this:
Posted anonymously

On June 23rd, I am expected to make one of the most important decisions in my life which could affect my children and grandchildren in a way I don’t even understand yet. I am an average guy with a family, a house, and a normal lifestyle. I am sort of Joe average. Some people have asked me recently about how I’m voting, mainly because they don’t know themselves and want another view or opinion. I’ve actually been quite interested in the opportunity to vote in the referendum and I’ve done some research and a lot of thinking and I know how I’m going to vote and why.

I am however, concerned about the broadcasting from our elected government. They also know what they want and why but we, the people, need our government to provide us with a balanced view so we, the people, can make our own mind up. For that to happen, we need to understand all the good points, and all the bad points. At the moment, I can understand why some people are gripped by fear that the world will end if we leave the EU.

But will it?

Well, I see 3 main areas, which I thought about. Political, economic and immigration.

Before I go any further, I have already accepted one thing. Any change will result in good things and not so good things. I can’t think of one example, which has changed, which hasn’t created some benefits and burdens.

Let’s get the easy one’s out of the way….

Political. – As a UK citizen, I want my laws determined by the MP’s we elected as a democracy should be. Our Lords are the regulators of the decisions made in the commons and I’m good with that. What I don’t want are laws imposed on me by people who weren’t elected and are trying to find a “One size fits all” solution to many different countries who all have different tolerances, expectations and cultures.

Of all of the imposed laws from the EU, I can live without a law that stipulates that cucumbers must not have a bend in excess of 10 degrees. Some of our politicians quite fancy a career in the EU after their own political career has come to and end in the UK and this is the reason why I think some of them are so keen to stay.

Economic – This is where I see, and accept, that things will be a little worse before they get better. Let’s get one thing clear though. Big business leaders only want one thing. More sales and bigger profits. That’s not wrong, it’s their job, and what shareholders expect. Quite simply, if the companies they’re running don’t make more money every year, they lose their job.

Imagine owning the only supermarket in a town where for the past 10 years, more and more people have come to live there and for the next 10 years, more and more people will arrive. If you owned that supermarket, you’d be rubbing your hands together. Now imagine that someone said that no more houses could be built and some people had to leave. You wouldn’t want that to happen so would disagree. And that’s what the impact will be, less people spending less money is not good for business. You can’t blame them for voting for Remain, but they’re only concerned about themselves.

I’ve also thought about the impact on house prices and rent. In 2000, I remember renting a massive house while I was in between house moves. The rent was £750 per month. Since the bulk addition of several European counties in 2004, rents have consistently increased beyond the rate of inflation. This is easy to understand, more people, not the equal number of more house increases competition for housing and increased rents. Increased rents mean better profits for landlords so people start to buy houses to rent out. Competition for houses increases which increases house prices.

And we all think this is great that the house some of us bought in the 90’s is now worth 3 times what we bought it for, we’re rich! But then I think of my children who can’t afford to buy a house now and I sometimes wonder whether they ever will. I was chatting to a guy at work last week who at the age of 32 had bought his first modest house with a 30 year mortgage. He was so pleased. But that doesn’t sit with me right. I bought my house (3 bed semi) when I was 22 with a 5% deposit and 3.5 times my salary. If the average salary is £22k, £77k doesn’t buy you anything now.

It might be an unpopular thought, but I want house prices to come down so my children can buy a 3 bed semi with a 5% deposit for 3.5 times their salary. And house prices will only come down if there is less competition and more houses built. I’m afraid you can’t achieve that by staying in the EU with an unlimited amount of potential people able to live and work here.

Also, on an economic front, there are too many people telling us that our economy will fall dramatically as we’ll have to negotiate new trade agreements with all the current EU countries. And let’s not forget Obama telling us all that we’ll be at the back of the queue with a trade deal with the USA.

Firstly, we’re a bigger importer than exporter, it’s always been that way. We buy more than we sell so therefore our buying power is more important than our selling power. For sure, some UK goods might be less attractive if import taxes are imposed on them from the EU if we leave but our customer is the world.

We have some of the most prestigious brands in the world. In no particular order, the one’s which come to mind are JCB, Rolls Royce, Burberry, Hotpoint, HSBC, Barclays, Tesco etc etc. I think we can confidently go global. Why do we want the EU to negotiate on our behalf?

And now for immigration. I have no idea why we’re all afraid to even bring up the subject but it does have a big impact and affects us all personally, socially and economically.

Over the past 12 years, since our immigration started to boom, I’ve met a lot of people who have moved to the UK to live and work. In general, I find the people I’ve met to be honest, hard working people with families who intend to make the most of the opportunity of living and working in the UK.

Our service industry is better for it, with many EU migrants choosing to work in many different sectors from coffee shops, to supermarkets. We’ve benefitted from many skills including the main building trades. Many trained nurses and doctors have joined our NHS. No doubt many more have arrived who have filled a skills gap we just don’t have and we, as a society have and are benefitting.

But there’s a problem that comes with this.

As a UK citizen, my personal belief is that the UK is the most attractive country in the EU. If you create a law that says that any citizen can freely choose where in the EU they can live and work, many will naturally choose to move to what they believe will give them the best opportunity to better themselves. Nothing wrong with that, it’s completely normal behaviour.

But if that country does not invest in infrastructure and services at the same rate of population growth two things happen. Things go up in price e.g. houses. And services become overstreched e.g. Doctors, schools, hospitals, roads etc.

The other thing I have an issue with is the type of immigration we have. I am absolutely convinced that we need immigration to thrive and prosper. Not just to ensure we have the right skills but also to make our society richer.

OK, so I can have my car hand washed for £3 just about anywhere now but how many unskilled people do we really need? I don’t think we need any. We have around 2 million of them sitting at home most days looking for a job. The broader problem is that we have created a society that believes not working is a choice and if they can’t be an instant celebrity, they refuse to work for minimum wage. We could solve that problem if we really wanted to.

I also see communities within communities. There are street’s I walk down now that I used to walk down 12 years ago where I only ever hear foreign languages being spoken and European shops selling European goods to European people. That doesn’t feel like an integrated society and I don’t really like it.

I want immigration, but I want to attract people from all over the world who have skills we need and who can add value to the place I live and work. I want those people to choose to come here because they like the values we live by, and want to be part of it.

I also don’t like the laws which are imposed on us that says we have to pay all EU immigrants the same social security benefits as UK citizens when we have no control over where that money is spent. At least the 2 million people sitting at home claiming job seekers allowance are spending that money here, benefitting our own economy but I can’t get my head around how a working father from the EU can claim working families tax credits, family allowance, income support and send as much back to his family in his native country as he chooses. When the minimum wage in the UK is 10 times higher than some eastern European countries and benefits are higher, how can we allow that money to be used in another economy where the cost of living is a fraction of the UK?

Imagine being a call handler in a call centre, a pretty average job on £18k to £20k a year. Now imagine another country you could move to, to do the same job for £200k a year. It’s an opportunity not to be missed. You’d live as cheaply as possible and send every spare penny home.

There are many people who are doing just that in the UAE. But the UAE are a growing country who need and want our skills. They’ve already stated to create laws themselves to ensure emirate people are at the front of the queue for jobs and skills. And there’s no hand outs or public services, everything is private sector and when you have no work, it’s goodbye.

I completely understand why Churchill had his vision for a “United States of Europe” after world war two. When created, the common market was brilliant and has served us well over the decades. But nothing lasts forever and things change.

I don’t remember agreeing to or voting for all the things which have been imposed on me. And I certainly don’t like what’s ahead of me either.

So on balance I’m voting to leave the EU. I accept it will have an economic impact. My house may reduce in value, some people may lose their jobs, the £ may fall in value so holidays might cost a bit more.

But if my children can buy a house and pay off a mortgage within their working life, if their children can go to a school that they choose, if I can get an appointment at the doctors or hospital treatment and not sit in hours of traffic every day then I’ll be happy with that.

And in the future, when the UK is back to being the greatest country in the world that attracts the most talented people from all over the world who create the industries and brands that create job opportunities for the future generations, I can look back and feel that I did the right thing.

Anon.

T3 Doka 2.1MV
gusbang View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gusbang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 19:25

Agree with that, no influence what so ever....
T3 Doka 2.1MV
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 20:46
Rolls Royce isn't ours, nor is burberry.

Lots of disinformation around the information from both sides.   
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 16 at 06:35
as I see it the UK economy is floated on the financial services sector which skims 1/2% off the world wide economy every day which in turn allows the UK govt to borrow over a £5 per head of population per day to prop it all up despite trying to reduce expenditure, and we have to defend that by having a massive arms industry anda  nuclear deterrent and then sell weapons around the world leading to war and population displacement and then complain that people from elsewhere want to come and live here, the land of 5% national unemployment and millions working in call centres cold calling and selling shite whilst we waste 1% of GDP on advertising mostly harmful cheap foodstuffs to the gullible while complaining that the NHS can't cope with the consequences and make us all live forever, whilst we don't train and retain enough teachers, doctors and nurses ourselves despite having more people going to university and disparity between the haves and have nots increasing; I reckon if the rest of europe could vote they'd vote us out, Britain you are the weakest link

staying in is probably best for the rest of the planet, and most likely to lead to a better balanced europe and world ;go our own way and we will be the 51st state and go the way of all the great civilisations in history

the Eu costs us only 0.5% of GDP, ie half of what we spend on advertising shite

shame I can't say this on the other place because eventually someone will get arsey and or apply Godwin's rule
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 16 at 06:58
WHS ^^^ I'm sure the EU has massive flaws and is far from perfect.

But I don't fancy being left in the hands of the Brexot politicians if we leave without the EU policies to protect us from whatever evil schemes they'd come up with left to their own devices.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>