The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JX Boost pressure setting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 07:38
all a bit common with cheap sensors then maybe....
1990 Westfalia California 1.6TD
dave friday View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 08:19
Yes the one I returned rattled! And did readings all over the gauge.
The new open tip one has no leakage ( on the 20 meg ohm range )
I got a vacuum and pressure gauge ( mechanical ) so I can check that the boost gauge is accurate ( it reads -.1/2 bar vacuume at idle!)

Edited by dave friday - 24 May 16 at 14:47
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 09:51
boost kicks in around 2800 rpm for me
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 22:59
Max torque is at    2500 rpm ,have you tried adjusting the lda rod out a it so the pump lets more fuel through?

Edited by dave friday - 24 May 16 at 23:01
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 23:11
I haven't touched the lda ever so am not even sure how well it works. It moves a little when revved so assume opens more under load with boost. I bought a DtC sensor on E bay and a thermocouple connector today so will use the old wire to extend it. I don't want to mess with much before being sure it doesn't get too hot.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 16 at 04:31
The exhaust pipe has come adrift where it's welded to the flange so it's a bit noisy! But EGT now 270 at 50 ish,second gear 4000 rpm 550/600 deg c ( up very steep hills).

Edited by dave friday - 26 May 16 at 04:32
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 16 at 01:06
Hi, pump lift is set to 1.02mm so I left it alone. New DtC sensor from eBay fitted, extended with 4m of the old sensor cable and a ceramic thermocouple connection plug from the same eBay seller. It's hovering around 22 degrees and rose to 40 when run for half a minute in the garage; tinware refitted and it's game over for the night.

Fingers crossed I'll finally be able to play with the bleed valve tomorrow....
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 16 at 12:51
sensor and gauge finally sorted, lda probably knackered..

Av temp plodding about is 260 degrees and max temp under load is 550 degrees this is flat out .75 bar, 70mph up hill, oil temp nearly reaching 100 degrees and a little over 4000rpm.

Opened the bleed valve a couple of turns and no noticeable difference at all. Starting to suspect lda as it seems I have to over fuel and smoke to get more power/boost. Pulled off the lda feed and applied 12 psi, piston only moves 20% of the full travel. Pulled it out manually and blocking the feed just slows the return a little but it does not hold.......knackered?

Looking for a replacement is fun

£180 in Brickwerks - out of stock€190 euros from gunzl - €60 px
€145 bernd jager - after market
€130 deiselkontor - unknown qual
Few refurbished for €100 and the kit is €40 to refurbishment yourself.

Anyone advise on an easier UK option to gunzl or bernd?

Thanks

Edited by Zeb - 30 May 16 at 12:53
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 16 at 12:55
euro symbol works well then
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 16 at 17:04
Sounds like the diaphragm is torn ( mine was ) I repaired mine with a pool patch ( a lot of work and it didn't last ) got one from Simon ( Brickwerks ) had to swap the bracket over before it fitted! But it works very well now.
If you want to know how I pulled the old one apart???
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 16 at 17:31
I was thinking about filing the return flange off and using an inner tube over the original membrane...then spent hours looking online for a new one. Just noticed even gunzl's are refurbished units. Went out for a test drive earlier with and without the lda hose connected, makes no difference. Given it runs far better already with the wastegate reset a new lda should make it considerably better still. Looks like I will get one from bernd jager who sells 2 types, one had a stiffer spring advertised for use with an intercooler? Why delay the fuel delivery as you can't increase the volume?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 16 at 18:32
I think the idea is because cooled air is denser the air going to the lda will make it operate earlier and so over fuel!
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 16 at 19:37
Can only find the regular one on bernds site anyway so ordered that £120 Inc shipping. How much difference did it make when you fixed or replaced yours?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 16 at 21:04
Without it it's like a non turbo van, ish!

Edited by dave friday - 30 May 16 at 21:41
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 16 at 14:25
Fixed your exhaust yet?

Lda replaced with bernd jagers aftermarket version. Fitted ok except nipple for manifold pressure line faces away from the manifold so the pipe needed replacing, odd? Also had to swap the rod end with the old bosch one as it wouldn't go over the ball.

Lda set so it just touches the return stop when relaxed. Lda rod end is roughly in the middle of the adjustment on the lever connection. I wound the fuel screw back out half a turn to compensate a little for a working lda. Bleed valve closed.
Boost jumped up to 1 bar under load no smoke but seems to have lost a bit of pull in the lower revs with less fuel.
As I have a standard set of stretch bolts, fibre gasket, unlipped intercooler pipes and plastic intercooler fittings I need to lower the boost pressure.

What is the best option to do this?

Relax wastegate to .75bar and use bleed valve to increase to .85-9bar, increase fuel to max acceptable "haze" of smoke?

As above but ditch the bleed valve and set the wastegate to required boost level?

Set wastegate slightly high and manage boost by lowering fuel? This seems like the low power best economy option but I'm not chasing better mpg. Egt is lower at 450-470 max.

Main question is should you use your wastegate or a bleed valve to manage boost levels?

Cheers

Zeb
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 16 at 23:16
Yes got and fitted the exhaust pipe ( it was surprisingly difficult to fit )
Had to replace the intermediate shaft oil seal!
I have read that the bolts and head gasket are ok for 20/25 psi,but to keep boost below 14/15 psi ( for the kkk 14 turbo )
Have to have a think about the lda and boost settings.
I asked " how much boost" on an American site and got one joke answer!
Kr.
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 13:04
Hi Dave, I'm aiming for 13-14psi max to play safe. Brickwerks advise arp studs for 18psi plus and I am happy to take the lowest value warned.

I started messing with the lda yesterday and found some info regarding stiffer or additional springs to ensure it works over the full range of boost and not just the first half. What have you read about setting it to its max length?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 16:44
Hi Zeb, MGP ( on club 80-90 ) says that after 14/15 psi the turbo starts blowing hot air ( in a golf ) so a max of 13/14 seems fine to me,especially as you have an intercooler !
The spring in the lda is a return Spring ,the reason for the stronger Spring that is used in lda s for intercooled engines is because the air is denser,the stronger spring is to slow the lda down a bit.
Pull the lda off the ball joint and see where the cam ends up if you run the engine and Rev it a bit!
Hot and sunny here.
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 18:30
low to mid 20s here so hot relatively speaking, I guess you are talking considerably hotter though eh.

I am not quite sure what you mean "see where the cam ends up" does the pump push it to the neutral position somehow?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 18:41
the cam should move to the max fuel position,if you could see inside the pump you would understand.
I need to take some pictures of the spare pump [apart!]
1992 1.6td syncro
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>