The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JX Boost pressure setting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JX Boost pressure setting
    Posted: 17 May 16 at 15:56
Hi all, I would appreciate some simple advice from anyone who has adjusted boost levels on a JX engine. Intercooler, oil cooled, boost and oil temp gauge, currently non functional egt probe in the exhaust manifold. Before any adjustment I was disappointed to see I had a max pressure of 0.4 bar, stock should be approx 0.5 bar to 0.75 bar. Due to this I want to get up to the expected std pressure before messing with a bleed valve. I did open the bleed valve 2 turns and saw an additional 0.1 bar with the extra air and fuel from the lda. I then shut the bleed valve down and progressively tightened the wastegate. It was surprising to see a little low end improvement but no extra boost.

Does this mean I need more fuel to raise boost levels?

I would like to set the waste gate to 0.6 bar and manage any addition boost with a bleed valve afterwards.

Thanks for any advice provided.

Cheers

Zeb
1990 Westfalia California 1.6TD
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 16 at 08:34
update

Fuel screw turned in until idle increased a little which was about 1 full turn. Now get .625 bar (9 psi) and it runs far better than ever with a very small and acceptable amount of smoke, just visible in headlights at dusk. What a difference to drive. Will quite quickly rev to 4500rpm which is 80mph plus on the flat, it's now far more comfortable at 70mph and even managed to maintain 70mph on a hill that previously only saw 60mph at a push. It's now easier to drive in lower revs so will be interesting to see what fuel economy it returns. I assume as I am still just under the optimum operating pressure for the turbo this is how it should run from stock. The water temp needle is sat bang in the middle of the gauge (was at BTM of led) and oil temp is 90 degrees so well within acceptable long term limits.

Until I get the egt gauge sorted I am leaving it at this setting. Anyone know where to get an ungrounded egt probe with 6m cable as I am struggling to find one?
I would also like to know if it would be advisable to reset the wastegate to just before it impacts the boost pressure?

With that done and when the egt gauge is fitted I will add 2-3 more psi with the bleed valve. I still have the BOV fitted with the screw fully tightened so expect it to blow at about 12 psi, my aim is to stay just inside this for safety and keeping as much as possible to the standard JX installation.

It was funny to see a few looks I got when doing 70 mph up hill, they seemed as surprised as me. Now very curious as to why anyone would fit an AAZ if the JX was running like this?

Anyone advise in the wastegate setting question please?

Thanks

Zeb

dave friday View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 16 at 23:31
I have similar readings to you; boost .4 to.5 bar (last year was .6 to.7 bar) but EGT just over 800 deg c !!
I've ordered an EGT gauge and a exposed tip probe/ sender ( £68 quid)
I plan to give the wastegate a twiddle after I get the engine protection plate off.
My existing EGT probe wiring is extended using single core cable.
Kr.
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 16 at 00:15
Hi, I have just been out messing with the settings again and am amazed how well it runs but need the egt gauge before it all goes badly wrong.

Adjusted the wastegate back two turns and lost .125 bar so learnt it was still limiting the boost. Wound it back in three turns leaving about 4 threads showing. Now get. 75 bar which is still within stock settings. Went back to the fuel screw and undid it 1/2 turn, lost .125 bar, wound it back in 1/4 turn and I'm back to the full. 75 bar. So I now know the wastegate is operating and I have min fuel for the max boost pressure vw intended. The water temperature needle sits on the lower half of the led unless hammering the van uphill and oil temp is about 85 degrees so fine.
It's like a new fast toy that flies up hills.....and it's my old Westy that used to hate a slight incline. I am genuinely surprised at how strong if feels and how under poweredit has been running for nearly 10 years.
Mainline sensors UK where I purchased a duff sensor have finally said they will supply a replacement after 2 months of cock ups, first one faulty, second lost in post. No response for weeks bla bla. Fingers crossed and I'll tell you what egt's I'm getting. Where is your probe fitted and have you tried reducing the fuel a little? I intended to set a warning at 650 degrees but hope I run much lower on a regular drive.

I'll let you know when I sort out the gauge when I hope to increase the boost a little more to .8 bar. This seems to be in the recommended safe range from what I can find online, anything much higher and I would want stiffer head bolts and lipped intercooler pipes. I also want this go another 100'000 miles so don't want to cook it.

Cheers

Zeb

Edited by Zeb - 19 May 16 at 00:18
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 16 at 00:31
800 c is foot to the floor top gear up hill 60 mph,I got a sensor on eBay ! It was faulty,eventually got a refund .
We're working our way through some bottles of Rioja!! One was 99 cents this one was 3.49!!
I'm asking the same question as you on club 80-90.
1992 1.6td syncro
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 16 at 16:29
I took the under tray off today and twiddled the wastegate screw in a bit,now the EGT is down to just over 700 deg c and boost is at .6 bar ( this is pedal to the floor in top up hill )
Will turn the screw in a bit more when it's cooled down a bit!
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 16 at 17:25
I would like to know what boost pressure vw set originally. All I can find is the range quoted on brickwerks. Is there much exhaust smoke?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 16 at 18:15
The smoke is fine,what have you set the injection pump to?
1992 1.6td syncro
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 16 at 06:37
The German manual says .76 bar...
1992 1.6td syncro
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 16 at 11:56
Today I twiddled the wastegate all the way in and got 1 bar!( a bit high?) so I'll back it off a bit.
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 16 at 12:20
pump lift set last year to 1.05mm but will check it again. Good you found. 76 bar in the manual, I'm going to aim at getting it as lean as possible keeping the at pressure with the fuel screw. Not sure about 1 bar for long without causing trouble..

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 16 at 12:30
Where have you fitted your intercooler and what make is it?
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 16 at 16:54
smart car with attached fan, it's on the main chassis member behind the left wheel, tight fit next to the cold start and accelerator cables but pretty short pipe route. Lots of people put it in the light box under the intake pipe but that involves cutting holes in the bodywork. I'll never know how much difference it makes but it's gotta help cool it a little.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 16 at 17:44
Ta,a picture would be nice,is your van left hand drive?
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 16 at 18:03
yes it is. I'll try and upload one later as it's beyond me on the phone. If I haven't within a day or two pm me your e mail
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 16 at 23:41
This is a view looking over the right rear rear wheel, you can just see the curve of the top left wheel arch. 

Edited by Zeb - 22 May 16 at 23:42
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 16 at 08:13
Thanks Zeb.
1992 1.6td syncro
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 16 at 23:46
Got a new EGT sensor with an exposed tip,and a new gauge,from " mainline" today.
Will see how it goes!
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 00:04
I'd be interested in how well it works as I am still looking for a decent sensor. Mainline gave me a refund today and said they are unable to supply a reliable ungrounded probe at the moment?? I may need the sensor details if it does the job properly or I was thinking about getting a westach probe from aircraft spruce and extending it. 
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 00:11
The sensor that I'm using at the 'mo has about 100 k leakage between the two leads and the case,so it's not properly insulated!!
1992 1.6td syncro
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>