The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SRS Light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cityslang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SRS Light
    Posted: 03 May 16 at 11:34
Hi,

I have a 04 LT46 109/2.5. I've recently had the screen replaced by auto glass, as there was rust round the aperture it got taken to local garage to have the rust treated and then the screen replaced.

When the van has come back the SRS is on. It comes on with the ignition, briefly shuts off and then come back on perm.

I'm assuming something has given it the arse during the window replacement. So I'm wondering if there is something I need to do to reset the a fault code or something. Would disconnecting the battery for a while reset it ?

Many thanks

tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 16 at 19:59
From the manual -

Self-diagnosis of airbag/belt tensioner systems
Function
The control unit for the airbag/belt tensioner (J234) is located under the driver's seat in the seat box. It is equipped with a fault memory. The self-diagnosis connection is located on the left under the dash panel in the driver's footwell.

The control unit recognises faults and malfunctions in the airbag/belt tensioner system and stores these in a permanent memory.

After the ignition is switched on, the airbag warning lamp (K75) for approx. 4 sec. and then goes out.

If the warning lamp does not light up after the ignition is switched on, the warning lamp does not go out after approx. 4 sec. or it goes on again or flickers after this time, a fault is present.

To commence fault finding, initiate self-diagnosis and interrogate the stored information with the fault reader V.A.G 1551.

The fault information displayed is leads to specific repair measures via a fault table with notes on the possible causes.

Here the different control unit versions must be observed.

Important!
Only conduct a visual inspection of wiring routing!
Do not carry out electrical continuity test or measurement in the ignition circuits!
Only check wiring routing with the ignition switched off!
Control unit versions

A new airbag control unit (J234) is gradually being introduced into production. On this control unit self-diagnosis or adaptation can only be carried out with a fault reader V.A.G 1551 equipped with a card with the version 7.0 or higher.

So I would imagine disconnecting the battery won't help much and you're going to at least need a fault reader.  There's a pile of fault codes relating to dodgy earth connections so that might match with your rust round the window history?

Just be careful with any wiring relating to belts and airbags - you don't want one blowing up in your face!

TT

tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 16 at 20:01
Oh and you'll need an adaptor cable for the round diagnostic plug to standard OBD...
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 16 at 06:15
Clap
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 16 at 19:59
srs has a habbit of comming on and staying on after the battery has been disconnected. i found with ours if you drive about and keep your finger on the button it'll go off after a bit! ours hasnt come back on since... i would think its just an add on to the abs system or there would be loads of sensors to the wheel hubs?
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
cityslang View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cityslang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 16 at 09:19
Thanks all,

I have a laptop with VAG com on it, although i dont know which version and I also have the adapter. For some reason i thought I read that the AirBag system was seperate and needed it's own fault-code-reader not just the VagCom system.

I'll have a look at getting it to read the fault codes and take it from there
cityslang View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cityslang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 17 at 14:31
Holy Thread resurrection batman...

As per above the I still have my SRS / AirBag light on, I've just been ignoring it for ages.

But now MOT time is rolling around again and it needs to be sorted.

I've put my VagCom computer on to it via the round connector. It's finding the Engine and the Imbolzier but can't see any other modules - presumably because the the Merc/VW spinter/LT. Obviously this is stopping me reset the AirBag codes. 

I know VW dealers can talk to the air bag and I assumed they would be using VagCom so am i doing something wrong ? Is there a trick to it. 

When I was doing the scan I noticed it couldn't find the LT chassis, so i told it to use T4 transporter cos i know some of them use the same 2.5 engine, was this a mistake...sounded like best plan at the time.

I also got it to do just a module scan, and it didnt ask for chassis details so i kinda assumed that got round the above..

Anybody got any ideas, i'd very much like to hear them

TIA 

Simon 
53plate Lt46 2.5tdi

DrSmooth View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrSmooth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 19 at 16:59
Thanks for the input. 
 Post Reply Post Reply