The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch pedal lost all pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch pedal lost all pressure
    Posted: 12 Apr 16 at 19:25
So the van was fine when I parked up (10 days ago) but just got in and put my foot on clutch to find that there is no resistance at all. I'm guessing that perhaps the clutch cable snapped or similar while it was sat there??

Does that seem likely? Any ideas?

I cant see any possible link to my recent wheel bearing change?

thanks, Will
Will, 1983 VW T3 Caravelle 78PS 1.9 DG Engine, Watercooled
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 16 at 20:30
but you brakes are linked to the master so id be curious as to the condition of the fluid reservoir and the possibility of crap in there? if you have a cable clutch you will be driving a very early 1.6 aircooled.......

my bet is the fluid has been very low and air has got into the entire system - opening up the caliper or replacing it has forced air back up to the reservoir 

there is not much volume held in the hard lines and flexi's....
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 16 at 07:32
I've just done this. In my case it was the clutch slave cylinder.

It's bolted on a bracket on the side of the gear box. See if its wet and leaking brake fluid. If so there's your answer.

Easy but fiddly and involves replacing some clutch lines unless you're very lucky.
williamkay View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 16 at 13:36
Thanks guys, I guess it may be sensible to see if I can ease off the wheel bearing a bit as the two clearly seem linked. I guess if I am leaking brake fluid then the master cylinder by the steering wheel should definitely be dropping yes? Ill check that too.

Edited by williamkay - 13 Apr 16 at 15:03
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 16 at 20:14
Yep, master cylinder is half empty and big greasy pool under engine. Well at least I can see the issue! I better get it booked into a garage as I don't have any where to do work myself really and seemingly didn't do a great job last time!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 08:58
OK so got a new slave cylinder which seemed to have busted. Cluthc now fine.

However, the brakes are still completely squidy, sometimes OK but sometimes dangerously so. The mechanic said that the clutch and brake systems are independent, i.e. they take fluid from different heights in the master cylinder, so even if the clutch fluid was lost this shouldn't have effected the breaks. 

He could also find no leaks in the brakes, but bled them and they improved on the ramp. However, upon leaving the garage they quickly became just as bad as ever.

I don't know about you but the two things going at once can't be a coincidence? Perhaps the master cylinder is busted? Any other ideas?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 08:59
Oh and Im 90% sure the fluid in the master cylinder is dropping which suggests a leak but I cant feel any leaks around the master cylinder itself.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 17:10
checked the load bias valve infront of tank?
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 22:45
Change the brake master cylinder. Expect it's fur burred after bleeding he brakes.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 16 at 11:04
Its pretty cheap and easily accessible so Ill have a go then! 

I have never bled breaks but by the look of what the guy did at the garage it looks pretty simple. Looked like he loosened all 4 brake hose bleed nipples with a spanner and then pumped the brakes until air stopped coming out. Sound about right? Ill check Haynes too of course.
 Post Reply Post Reply