The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

secondary auxiliary electric water pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motox2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: secondary auxiliary electric water pump
    Posted: 02 Mar 16 at 20:13
Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone could help me a little, my auxiliary water pump is not working, I have checked the fuse and I have checked the voltage and unfortunately im not getting any voltage to the pump.

Info on this is very had to come by, would anyone have any further info on it? is there a relay, would anyone have a wiring diagram that covers this part?

Cheers
Stu
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 16 at 22:29
I'm fairly sure that pump will only be fed when the coolant temp gets to a certain level.  I can hear mine only in summer and then only occasionally.  Half of them have given up the ghost anyway.  Occasionally folks post pics of them with the electrical parts corroded out.  There was a low tech mod on the earliest vans because the pumps were noisy.  I never bothered with mine because I heard it so rarely.  I tow a fair bit but I never heard it when towing.  It's also called a 'V50' pump if it helps your search.  Smile

I think it's possible it can be made run with VCDS using 'Output Tests'.  If I get a chance I'll try it on my van.  Why are you concerned?  Overheating?  Please let us know which year/engine you have.  
2004 2.5 174
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 16 at 00:04
If you have voltage at the fuse but none at the pump then to start with I would have a look at the engine wiring loom around the starter motor area as it can chafe on the back of the starter or the wiring guide causing the wire to corrode and snap. On the three pins you should an ignition voltage roughly battery voltage an earth and an ECU controlled live around 4.5 volts. Hope that helps and you get it sorted.
VW WORX VCDS retrofitting and coding carried out, cruise control, mfsw, dis, locking adaptions pm for a quote
motox2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motox2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 16 at 08:37
Sorry guys its a 2009 1.9 pre facelift.

The issues I have is the engine smells hot and upon inspection the lower part of the rad is cold and the coolant pipe from the thermostat is stone cold even after a long trip, I have replaced the thermostat and I have also had the head gasket replaced as the pressure within the coolant system was very high (causing water to be pushed out the header tank), the pressure issue has been resolved but i'm worried that is this 2nd pump is not running then it may cause the head gasket to go again.

Its strange that the issues appeared to start when I had the cam belt replaced, is the starter wiring loom in that area?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 16 at 09:04
The loom that rubs on the starter is on the opposite side to the Cambelt, sounds like coolant isnt circulating that electric pump runs the coolant round after the engine has been shut off, I would be looking at loose impeller on the water pump ( was it replaced with the Cambelt? ) or a blockage (radiator collapsed ?) When hot do you have coolant returning to the expansion tank from the return pipe?
VW WORX VCDS retrofitting and coding carried out, cruise control, mfsw, dis, locking adaptions pm for a quote
motox2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motox2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 16 at 09:36
thanks for you replies, sorry waterpump was replaced during the cambelt replacement and then again as I though the issue was a faulty waterpump.

When the engine is running you can see water returning to the header tank.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 16 at 11:27
Any other symptoms, like overheating or chucking water out of the header tank?  Some water should return to the header tank but if it's squirting back violently that's a sign of a problem. 
2004 2.5 174
motox2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motox2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 16 at 12:28
temperature never really goes over about 95 (using the torque app via odb2) but never higher than 90 on the dash, water does get pushed out the header tank.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 16 at 13:00
If you have cold hoses and the radiator is cold then it is definitely I circulation issue, either an air lock (unlikely) waterpump isn't pushing coolant round or a blockage thermostat,or crud in the system I would have a careful look at the radiator especially along the bottom the rads can collapse internally and kind of blow outwards not necessarily losing coolant but all the internals drop to the bottom and can block the flow
Rd69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rd69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 19 at 11:49
I have same problem but when vacuum pipe disconnected from diverter it opens up and bottom hose and radiator  warm up. Is there another reason for diverter whilst van is running
 Post Reply Post Reply