The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ky to 1y

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2lbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ky to 1y
    Posted: 03 Dec 15 at 21:07
Hi all ive been a member for a little while now but never posted so here goes . Ive just converted from a ky (1.7d) to the 1y (1.9d)using all the parts neccassary to run the 1y (i think ?) The engine runs well heats up fine to right temp so all would be fine you would think .but after having the van out serveral spins its revved up smoking so ive quickly stalled the motor an left to cool .im aware its running on its oil .could this be due to using the ky injector pump on the 1y ? Any feed back is appreciated
Also once the van is cooled it starts up an goes again as normal with little or no problem .
flying haggis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flying haggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 15 at 00:59
Welcome, are you running a turbo? If it's running on its own oil it won't be the injector pump as is separate from any oil supply, if it's a straight diesel it could be a blocked breather pipe causing excess crankcase pressure, do you have any history with the engine before it was fitted Could be a dud, my mate had one that ran perfect when it was cold and then smoked like a trooper when hot , turned out to be a cracked head.
Take a walk on the wild side
b2lbo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2lbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 15 at 09:08
Hi there .apparently the engine i bought only had 60k on the clock .it doesnt smoke when hot,i could probably run it for a few days with no problems then it would do that rev thing unexpectedly .
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 15 at 10:08
I had this a couple of times after I installed my AAZ - it was always after driving a bit too spirited around a roundabout/corners. If it's doing it under hard acceleration/braking/cornering then your oil level might be a bit too high = sloshing oil in sump being drawn up and causing it to run away. 

Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
b2lbo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2lbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 15 at 10:14
Did this fix your problem?
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 15 at 10:48
Yeah, check your oil level... I didn't actually do anything with mine other than eased off on corners. Had it happen to me whilst driving a mates van too and again he had overfilled the oil.

Were you driving around corners etc when it's happened to you?
b2lbo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2lbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 15 at 10:51
Yeah was actually coming down a pretty steep hill with a corner at the bottom and going over a speed bump
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 15 at 11:55
Likely suspect then, did you use the KY dipstick/tube and sump on the 1Y?

b2lbo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2lbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 15 at 12:18
Yeah used ky sump but the 1y dipstick
b2lbo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2lbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 15 at 14:58
So ill change to the ky dip stick ?
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 15 at 15:28
Yeah, you should be using the Ky dipstick together with the dipstick tube to give a true reading as these reach down into the KY sump. Did you measure the oil as you added it or did you just fill with oil until you read the mark on the 1Y dipstick? 

If you're not sure how much oil is currently in there then drain it down into a clean container and then refill with the oil to 1Y's correct capacity (see haynes manual) and check the dipstick. If the oil level doesn't match up with the line on the dipstick then mark a new line on there and use that as your reference in future. 

I'm not familiar with N/A diesel engines but this is how I went about swapping mine from JX > AAZ and the principal's the same. 
b2lbo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2lbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 15 at 15:30
Great advice gav thank you
b2lbo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2lbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 16 at 15:05
This may sound like a stupid question but is it possible to use a key fuel pump on a 1y help would be appreciated
b2lbo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2lbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 16 at 15:06
Ky on 1y silly phone lol
 Post Reply Post Reply