The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.5 BNZ Battery Light - Alternator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 15 at 08:38
Originally posted by Alonline Alonline wrote:

Remember Kev the Gas and I spoke too soon post!

Now Gregg the fact you have though about it lighting will strike!

Wonder should I open a VW parts export to AU land?

Yeah, that's why I have kept quiet about the Custard so far...On a brighter more positive note, the T5 hasn't had any new issues for the last 8 weeks...Wink

Was thinking the same as you about parts to Oz
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 15 at 23:15
I would have asked for service managers key for his car and told him I will take that until you find my key.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 15 at 23:19
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

After last night I have completely lost faith in my local dealer.  Had my Skoda in for a cambelt change and waterpump etc, plus seatbelts stalk. $AU 1535.00 later went to collect car, they couldn't find key or car. After 1/2 hour of further waiting they found car (out the back paddock), but the key was nowhere to be seen.  I got sick of waiting so used my spare keys to get home. I'm so glad I'm such a "be-prepared" boy scout Wink 

I'm still waiting to hear about the key they lost.

Maybe I'll ditch VW altogether and buy a new Mazda MPS 3 when they come out later this year/early next year to complement a new Vito 119 CDI  Evil Smile

I would charge 70$ fir the half hour wait.

So Skoda is as bad as VW
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 15 at 09:28
In my town VW IS Skoda (same dealer, same service people, different new car sales people)
RichardF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 16 at 13:15
It's been a while since I posted here. Having a T3, I don't have so many problems as owners of new vansErmm

Anyway, my son, who lives in Denmark, has a T5 7H 2.5 TDI 174cv, which seems to be at the point where he should check out/replace the freewheel clutches and couplings for the alternator and aircon compressor.

I have offered to get the parts for him from my supplier in France, as they are a lot cheaper here than Denmark. I have found the clutch and coupling for the alternator, but can't find them for compressor on the website.

Can anyone tell me if the parts are the same as those for the alternator, please?

Also, any other parts he should look at while he has the front off?

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 16 at 15:28
Yes, both couplings and the freewheels are the same for the alternator and the A/C.  In case it's worth you buying in England Eurocarparts are cheap.  The freewheels are made by INA (same as original parts).  They are quite hard to find on the ECP website so here is the link: http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/425440240

Bear in mind if you search around you can get up to 31% off that price when they do offers.  Wink  Today it's 20% so that would be £140.78 for all four parts. Smile  

Edited by T5 TDI - 02 Sep 16 at 16:00
2004 2.5 174
RichardF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 16 at 18:22
Thanks for that info' T5 TDI. The 4 parts here cost €209, about £175, so a bit cheaper there.

Is there anything else he should check out while the front end is off?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 16 at 19:04
If it's showing signs of poor cold starting or has done vast mileage you could replace the glow plugs and the coolant temp sensor (cheap) while you can get at them.  I have done 103 k with mine and it's fine.  It is a bit colder in winter Denmark though I guess!  If there is any reason to think the camshaft is worn, (I hope not because it's very expensive!) it will need the front off to do, so now would be good time.

You can actually replace the freewheels and couplings without taking the front off which saves a good few hours.  I had a guide with photos up on here until recently but when I wanted to edit it, it kept losing parts of it so I have deleted it for now.  If you want it I can email you the file.   
2004 2.5 174
RichardF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 16 at 20:43
Thanks again, T5 TDI.

I'll forward a link for this thread to my son, maybe he'll have time to read it during his busy weekend!
Potatoman73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potatoman73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 18 at 22:46
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

No need to take the front off, I've just done mine. (See the 'Freewheels and couplings' thread). Smile  It's very tight but it's a hell of a lot better than taking the front off.  I found it really <span style="line-height: 15.27272605896px;">was </span>worth taking the power steering pump off to give you more room, you can leave the pipes on.  Yours<span style="line-height: 15.27272605896px;"> could just be that the coupling is stripped, if it is then make sure to check the freewheel isn't seized.  I think most serious cases of damage to alternators and A/C compressors are down to seized freewheels.  </span>

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Testing the water here..  I'm seriously thinking of offering a service for replacement freewheels, couplings, water pumps and powers steering pumps in the North Cornwall/South London </span>areas because plenty of garages either don't understand these gear driven engines or don't want really to work on them.  I'm semi-retired these days but I am qualified and insured so what do you guys reckon?  

Could you pm me the guide to removal without taking front end off. Thanks
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 23:38
No problem but not for a couple of weeks since I only have my y at the moment. Consider going the whole hog and taking the front off though if you don't have a known history because there are other jobs that may crop up later that can only be done this way.
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12