The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fitting Ebay Manifold AXE & AXD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting Ebay Manifold AXE & AXD
    Posted: 01 Apr 15 at 12:56
Just wanted to mention a few things about my experience of fitting an ebay cast iron manifold.

I fitted the auction version as opposed to the 'Buy It Now' one. The one I fitted came with manifold-to-head and turbo-to-block gaskets but no turbo to manifold (EGR connection) gasket. The original tin manifold wasn't designed with one. You can buy it here.

Because these aftermarket manifolds don't have the flexible EGR flange of the original, space to slide the turbo in is very limited and it's necessary to have the manifold fitted but not tightened before fitting the turbo. In fact, only put the nuts on with a nut full of thread (no more) on each. This way you can tie the manifold up to the bonnet catch which keeps it as high as possible giving you maximum clearance to get the turbo in. Take the advice in the pdf about tying up the two spacers and the round seal and gasket to stop them dropping off the manifold whilst fitting.

I can breathe in the van now. And it definitely goes better.     

Edited by T5 TDI - 20 Oct 18 at 09:09
2004 2.5 174
Properjob1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Properjob1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 09:40
Hi, I've just taken delivery of one and plan to fit at the weekend so your posting gives me a little more confidence.
Mine came with the full gasket set and a small syringe - do you know what that's for?
Is it for priming the Turbo with oil when you re-fit it? If so do you know how this should be done?
Thanks.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 18:35
Welcome PJ! Hope you will stick around, it's gone a bit quiet here lately.

Yes the syringe is for priming the turbo. I think they are assuming you are fitting a new dry turbo. Any extra oil a turbo gets is a good thing but I think most of it will end up dripping on your head. The main thing is to idle the engine on start up for a good few minutes giving good oil pressure but little turbo speed.

The most difficult part of the job is sandwiching the turbo between the lower oil feed 'seating' that sticks out of the block and the new (upper) (inflexible) EGR connection on the new manifold. If you don't follow the correct order in the pdf you will struggle. The manifold must be loose and hung up on string or you will damage the gasket.

If you do it the right way it's not too bad. Allow time and drink lots of tea. If you get stuck feel free to pm me or be brave and post here and get the wealth of all of the brick-yard's members T5 knowledge.

Edited by T5 TDI - 20 Oct 18 at 09:27
2004 2.5 174

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Properjob1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 20:37
Thanks T5. I had some spare time this afternoon so I've taken everything apart and hopefully get it back together at the weekend. I managed to get everything undone ok using the notes on this forum, don't thing I would have attempted without them, was still very tricky getting the Turbo out and eventually got the manifold out around it and lifted Turbo away afterwards.
Tricky enough getting out so I'm sure will be even harder getting back in.
I did notice that the Cast manifold is 3 or 4mm shorter in depth at back of cylinder 2 which is the point where it was fouling the Turbo output pipe when I was taking it out so hopefully this will help.
Yes I'll follow the pdf instructions very carefully and thanks for the tip to leave idling for a while after first startup.
I'll post again when I'm done - hopefully sometime soon!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 22:18
You are clearly past the halfway mark :-) No broken studs or other horrors.

Re the new style manifold clearance- I had no problems with that although everything is very close there and it's a wangle to get it all in place.

The new manifold pdf instructions say to abandon the bottom half of the heat shield and include some detailed instructions to cut down the top half to ease access to the manifold nuts. I left the bottom off as instructed but left the top half uncut because you can simply knock a socket on to the nuts reshaping the heat shield slightly where necessary.

2004 2.5 174

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Properjob1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 15 at 22:57
Well I got there in the end though I seemed to experience different difficulties to others. Everything came apart reasonably ok, managed to get to all the tricky bolts using a smaller 3/8 drive socket set so this may be a useful tip for others. Once manifold and Turbo were loose I managed to wiggle and get the manifold out first, then the Turbo.
I didn't remove engine mount as it wasn't really in the way, if anything it was the "air output" tube of Turbo fouling against the Servo which caused most problems.

What a job getting the Turbo back in though, I'm convinced it had grown overnight! Probably spent 2 hours doing the Hokey Kokey before I eventually got it in. The PDF instructions said to retain manifold loosely with nuts then lift and tie. This didn't work for me and after lots of struggling I tried a different approach as follows.
Place Turbo roughly in place then push across towards the r/h inner wing as far as you can.
Next bring the manifold in to place as much as you can, then by wiggling them both you can just about get the manifold on to the studs (but Turbo still out of position and leaning back on the bulkhead.
I the used a thin luggage strap on back of manifold looped around the wiper arm and tensioned such that manifold is horizontal and slides/swings along the threads of studs.
What followed then was combined moving of manifold and Turbo for 5 mins and hey presto they fitted together!
With a little more jiggery pokery I managed to get all the flanges lined up and commenced bolting it all together.
Unknown to me at the time I was still not out of the woods.

The final sting in the tail was trying to get the exhaust-to-turbo clamp in place - this took about an hour!
Finally all running and NO FUMES YAY!!!

All in all a pretty tricky task, I have big respect for VW Mechanics but little respect for the designers!

I'd certainly recommend the cast iron manifold, it's very much more substantial than the VW version and a bit cheaper too!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 15 at 21:12
Well done on completing a truly awkward job!    And thanks for actually bothering to come back to us with your thoughts. Everyone's take on work on this unusual engine is appreciated by me at least.

I took my manifold once off once before without taking the engine mounting off but I found it much easier with it out of the way. I think it helps mostly with the reach to the splined lower turbo bolts. Maybe if you have long arms you wouldn't notice but it does generally clear the area and make for better general visibility.

That turbo pipe (part of the turbo of course) does seem to be magnetically attracted to the servo but it always goes into place in the end with enough attempts. This is absolutely not a job for anyone impatient!

For anyone else following this thread- Whichever way you chose to do this job it’s important not to mangle the triangular aluminium turbo to block gasket while you are working the manifold and turbo into place, because it could result in serious oil leak.

With the new aftermarket cast manifolds there is much less room for the turbo than the original because of the lack of the flexible EGR connection mentioned above so you are effectively squeezing the turbo in between two blocks of metal with only about 1mm clearance. All good fun eh?
2004 2.5 174

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Properjob1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 15 at 01:05
Yes I must say that the Triangular Gasget of Trouble was quite a challenge, I was expecting the lugs to say goodbye given the number of attemptes it took, but it somehow held together right to the end.
I cannot emphasise enough the quality of the cast manifold compared to the original VW part which in comparision looks like it's made from recycled baked bean cans!
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 15 at 21:06
That cast manifold is the part that VW should have fitted from day one rather than the piece of shit that they did use..
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 15 at 21:40
I agree. I'm thoroughly enjoying breathing again!
2004 2.5 174
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 01:07
I' about to tackle this job myself.  I didn't find mine on eBay though, i sourced it from DarkSide developments.

Did you guys take the turbo out from underneath. or all from the top?
T5 130 LWB 2.5 TDi - Becoming a camper
T5 Camper Build Blog
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 07:39
Turbo out from underneath. Best of luck! Ask here if you hit a snag.      
2004 2.5 174
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 15:15
Thank you, Im hoping to start this, this weekend :)  Weather permitting :)
T5 Camper Build Blog
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 21:46
It's a doddle once you have done it a couple of times... 

2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 23:30
I'm very much hoping I've only got to do this once!LOL
T5 Camper Build Blog
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 15 at 08:02
Be sure to replace the manifold nuts just in case!!
2004 2.5 174
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 15 at 09:56
Im replacing the studs too, the kit I got from Darkside, came with nuts studs and all gaskets etc :)

T5 Camper Build Blog
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 15 at 13:48
   The Darkside kit includes everything and although it costs more than the fleabay version I reckon they will be more help with any fitting problems or warranty.

Hope the studs all come out ok! Two nuts locked together? Or have you got the posh tool?
2004 2.5 174
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 15 at 23:03
I have a friend with the posh tool  LOL

I never saw the ebay ones, but this was only £310 inc delivery, which I didnt think was too bad.
T5 Camper Build Blog
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 15 at 22:20
Hi guys, I've got everything fitted today and it all went with no major dramas. However I seem to have a slightly odd thing now.

When pulling away stand still I can hear what sounds like an air leak, which as the turbo spools up seems to get louder, then before the boost kicks in it sounds like a valve shuts off and the leak stops. It boosts normally, pulls well, and is t smoking etc

But it definitely did not do this before the manifold replacement.

Any ideas where I should be looking please chaps?
T5 Camper Build Blog
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>