The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fitting Ebay Manifold AXE & AXD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
clemo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting Ebay Manifold AXE & AXD
    Posted: 21 Jan 24 at 16:06
Hi All , 

Just about to start this job on my 2.5 AXD . 

Bought a kit from ebay but not sure about the two top side of the plates that sit on the solid cast of the manifold , what order they go , i presume the large taper is facedown  for the ring to sit in before bolting to turbo , im not sure i have the correct ring either mine is a tapered mesh ring and i cans see how the turbo would bolt to it . and help or a PDF you have mentioned would be great ....  im in two minds as a while ago i found an old darkside manifold i think with flexible EGR connector , maybe it would be better to use this ? 

Thanks all 
clemo
clemo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 24 at 16:00
Hi All , 

Just about to start this job on my 2.5 AXD . 

Bought a kit from ebay but not sure about the two top side of the plates that sit on the solid cast of the manifold , what order they go , i presume the large taper is facedown  for the ring to sit in before bolting to turbo , im not sure i have the correct ring either mine is a tapered mesh ring and i cans see how the turbo would bolt to it . and help or a PDF you have mentioned would be great ....  im in two minds as a while ago i found an old darkside manifold i think with flexible EGR connector , maybe it would be better to use this ? 

Thanks all 
clemo
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 15 at 16:21
That's good to know.  I thought it'd read about it needing "Mapping Out" after blanking, but if that's not the case.

I'm tempted to leave it for now, as it's not causing me any issues.  I guessthere is no real performance / economy gains to be had by blanking it off?

T5 130 LWB 2.5 TDi - Becoming a camper
T5 Camper Build Blog
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 15 at 12:35
If it's the vacuum operated EGR which it must be as you had the original tin manifold like mine (AXE or AXD engines) you can just blank it off.  The electronic EGR's on engines with DPF's will cause an EML and need remapping.

I've left my EGR on because I tow a lot and I worry about the higher exhaust gas temps without the EGR flow.  

Edited by T5 TDI - 18 May 15 at 12:38
2004 2.5 174
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 15 at 12:10
Thanks, I was shocked at how easily the van came apart, and was lucky enough not to shear any studs off.

Getting the manifold-turbo gasket aligned was a bit tricky, but managed it eventually.

As for the EGR pipe, it took a bit of persuasion, but it's back in place now.

I was contemplating blanking it off, but if I do, does it need to be written out of the ECU?

Thanks

T5 Camper Build Blog
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 15 at 11:51
Thumbs Up    I'm really pleased with my cast manifold.  They're not particularly easy to fit given the loss of the flexible EGR connection so congratulations on joining the club!
2004 2.5 174
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 15 at 09:51
You sir were indeed correct, seems the big boost pipe was not fully seated from the intercooler.

Quick clean up and made sure the clip was 100% fully seated, and it's back to normal.

Thank you for your help SmileSmile
T5 Camper Build Blog
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 15 at 23:12
Check the large turbo pipe joints you removed.  I'd almost put money on a boost leak given your description.  If you really floor it, the leaking joint will probably identify itself by popping off!  Make sure the big clips are fully home (click!) and you haven't fitted the clip on the wrong way round.  
2004 2.5 174
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 15 at 22:20
Hi guys, I've got everything fitted today and it all went with no major dramas. However I seem to have a slightly odd thing now.

When pulling away stand still I can hear what sounds like an air leak, which as the turbo spools up seems to get louder, then before the boost kicks in it sounds like a valve shuts off and the leak stops. It boosts normally, pulls well, and is t smoking etc

But it definitely did not do this before the manifold replacement.

Any ideas where I should be looking please chaps?
T5 Camper Build Blog
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 15 at 23:03
I have a friend with the posh tool  LOL

I never saw the ebay ones, but this was only £310 inc delivery, which I didnt think was too bad.
T5 Camper Build Blog
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 15 at 13:48
   The Darkside kit includes everything and although it costs more than the fleabay version I reckon they will be more help with any fitting problems or warranty.

Hope the studs all come out ok! Two nuts locked together? Or have you got the posh tool?
2004 2.5 174
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 15 at 09:56
Im replacing the studs too, the kit I got from Darkside, came with nuts studs and all gaskets etc :)

T5 Camper Build Blog
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 15 at 08:02
Be sure to replace the manifold nuts just in case!!
2004 2.5 174
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 23:30
I'm very much hoping I've only got to do this once!LOL
T5 Camper Build Blog
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 21:46
It's a doddle once you have done it a couple of times... 

2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 15:15
Thank you, Im hoping to start this, this weekend :)  Weather permitting :)
T5 Camper Build Blog
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 07:39
Turbo out from underneath. Best of luck! Ask here if you hit a snag.      
2004 2.5 174
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 15 at 01:07
I' about to tackle this job myself.  I didn't find mine on eBay though, i sourced it from DarkSide developments.

Did you guys take the turbo out from underneath. or all from the top?
T5 Camper Build Blog
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 15 at 21:40
I agree. I'm thoroughly enjoying breathing again!
2004 2.5 174
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 15 at 21:06
That cast manifold is the part that VW should have fitted from day one rather than the piece of shit that they did use..
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>