The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Draughty Florida...Advice Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwheatley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Draughty Florida...Advice Needed
    Posted: 02 Mar 15 at 08:54
Hi All,

I went away last weekend to the Pyrenees in my 1990 Florida for a spot of skiing! During the night it was -8 degrees, which was generally fine but there was a major draught coming in through vents of the fridge, which didn't help the heat coming from the Truma gas heater. We didn't have the fridge running on gas as it was cold enough anyway. 

Firstly I wanted to ask if there are covers for the external vents on the side of the van in order to stop the draught coming in?

Secondly, I presume these covers (if they exist) cannot be used when the fridge is running on gas? If this is the case, how do you stop the cold air coming in when camping in colder climates?

I have a added pics below of the external vents (pic 1), and the top internal vent (pic 2), and the vent at the bottom of the fridge inside the van (pic 2).

On pic 1 you can also see a small metal vent to the bottom left of the window....I presume this is for the fridge also, but I may be wring?

Any help is accepted gratefully.

Many thanks,

Matt
Roger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 15 at 10:11
Covers do exist for the fridge vents, but yours like mine were probably lost/broken years ago.  You can run the fridge with the covers on, in this case the cooling air travels from the vents below the fridge door and exits into the van behind the sink.  The combustion exhaust is the small stainless steel vent outside.  I believe covers are available at a price or as a temporary measure duct tape works.
1989 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
mwheatley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwheatley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 15 at 10:24
Hi Roger,

Thank you very much for the swift reply.

If anyone else reads this & happens to have any covers, or where I can get them from please let me know.

Matt
cinimod View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Nice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinimod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 15 at 11:08
lots of winter vent covers on e bay,meant for caravans but just have to check the sizes,hopefully some will fit!
90 westy cali pop(sold)

mwheatley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwheatley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 15 at 07:56
Thanks Cinimod. I will take a look.
Vienna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vienna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 15 at 11:52
Not sur if it is of help, but just in case you didn't source them yet and need dimensions pics, the originals came with mine although I can't mount one due to one of the the plastic clips which hold them on missing. They drop out easilly and hence get lost when not mounted. Not sure I would trust driving with them on, the clips wedge themselves beween the vents in a cam fassion when turned to lock. Might get wipped off with the vibes and wind. Yes the blurb says you can run the fridge on gas in winter with them on which is the same as my Carthago T3 which only has internal vents.
They also do not seal completely when fitted, air can get round the edges due to some lugs stopping the coveres going right over the vent.
Think I need more posts to upload pics, I'm still new here and have excuses longer than my arms for not participating more.Smile Can take photos with tape measure in pic and send on if you let me know how.
Not sure about new covers, these seem to be a bit smaller than those for caravans, but then again the experts are here and will advise I'm sure.
BTW mine is a late 91 31 TD Florida, probably an early 90 build according to my research.
Eyup, still working on it!

LT 31 Florida 1991 (1990) TD LHD

It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it that counts! ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply