The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Long time no visit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long time no visit
    Posted: 01 Mar 15 at 18:52
Hey all,

Been a while since I swung by - how`s things in T5 land? 

How are the new generation of T5.1s holding up? Are those 2L engines with single/twin blowers still behaving themselves or have they all turned into grenades?LOL

Anyway not a day goes by that I don't miss my T5 - best vehicle I`ll ever own I reckonCry

Was shopping for cars yesterday and stumbled across a Touareg V10 diesel (basically 2 of my old 5 pot 174 engines grafted together in a "V" configuration) which made me think of the old girl.......Big smile

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Kev The Gas View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 15 at 19:21
Hello stranger.

How are things over the pond?

The new engines seem good, it is just the items bolted onto them!
T5.1 T32 LWB Kombi 140 ps. Sold

T5.1 Caravelle Executive 2.0BiTDI
180PS DSG Sold

T5.1 Kombi LWB 180 BiTDI DSG   

T6 California Beach 150 DSG
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 15 at 19:43
Hey Kev,

Things are good over here thanks. Its pretty much what I expected - super cold winters (have had frost bite twice) and blinding summers - spring & autumn are basically none existent in my opinion. Looking like I`m staying here for keeps if they`ll have me.......HugHug

That was always the case I thought even with the old original T5 engines - the bare engine was good but the peripheral parts (water pumps, drive shafts etc) not so much

I notice you have 2 x 180 variants now - you're obviously impressed........?

I also notice both have DSG - hows that been for you on the reliability front? I`m looking at new cars right now and have looked at a bunch of stuff and might buy Mrs Energy a Golf GTI so I took one with DSG out for a test drive yesterday - what a hoot! Its like a go kart - cracking fun! Auto blips on the way down the box and everything!

Have heard some horror stories about the reliability side of it too but for resale purposes it would be the better bet as no one in north america seems to know how to use a manual!

Edited by energysolutions - 01 Mar 15 at 20:21
Kev The Gas View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 15 at 21:59
The Caravelle is now 4 years pld, only 1 problem was a small leak from the filter, apparently came loose!

It has just had a new cambelt and water pump. I also had the gearbox oil and filter changed nd it feels like a new car again. The wife loves it so looks like it will be a long term keeper.
T5.1 T32 LWB Kombi 140 ps. Sold

T5.1 Caravelle Executive 2.0BiTDI
180PS DSG Sold

T5.1 Kombi LWB 180 BiTDI DSG   

T6 California Beach 150 DSG
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 15 at 22:50
Originally posted by Kev The Gas Kev The Gas wrote:

The Caravelle is now 4 years pld, only 1 problem was a small leak from the filter, apparently came loose!

It has just had a new cambelt and water pump. I also had the gearbox oil and filter changed nd it feels like a new car again. The wife loves it so looks like it will be a long term keeper.

Was that recommended in the service schedule or did you do that of your own accord?

From the brief bit of research I had done it seems thats whats required annually to keep DSG boxes happy 

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 15 at 19:15
Hi ES, glad to hear life is treating you well. My old bus is coming up for the 100k mark and has just past its eleventh birthday. Apart from needing a new manifold it's still all ok. No tempted by a monster V8 pickup?   
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 15 at 19:38
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

Hi ES, glad to hear life is treating you well. My old bus is coming up for the 100k mark and has just past its eleventh birthday. Apart from needing a new manifold it's still all ok. No tempted by a monster V8 pickup?   

Hi T5 TDI

The old girl is serving you well. Manifolds are a weakness for sure - I remember getting an expensive shock with that once

No, I`ll pass on the monster V8 pickup - we have a few at work and they`re unbelievably thirsty! We also have an E350 van and its just horrible too - really badly thought out and stupidly thirsty too. Even the new diesels arent too attractive - one of the guys at work just bought a new top of the line Dodge as a work truck - cost him ~$78K! Nuts!

I have a V8 petrol though - bought a BMW X5 which is not thrifty by any stretch but its waaaaay better than the Ford V8s that our work trucks have. I`m looking to chop it for something else cos its been pretty horrible on the reliability front - will deffo be my last BMW, it`ll probably be a VAG car of some description that I buy next

I wish I could buy a LWB T5 Kombi (a 4Motion would be the icing on the cake) - the closest thing here is the Sprinter, Transits were only launched a few months ago!

Edited by energysolutions - 02 Mar 15 at 19:41
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 15 at 19:40
Duplicate post

Edited by energysolutions - 02 Mar 15 at 19:41
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 15 at 09:08
Is it G Day now the greeting for you ES?

Nice to hear you have got your feet on the ground!

Post some pics and make us all envious?

The DSG seem to need the change every couple of years and not as VW/Porsche say, no maintenance at all.

Keep well and live long!
 Post Reply Post Reply