The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

banded steel wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happy van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: banded steel wheels
    Posted: 06 Feb 15 at 21:34
Smile hi i got a chance to have my 14inch steel wheels banded.i was just wondering what would be the best width to banded them to.as my van is lowered by about 40mm i was thinking 9.5inch rear and 8inch front.

Edited by happy van - 06 Feb 15 at 21:34
Fuck them and there law .
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 04:14
Whats the original et?
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 04:18
Ignore that, i know fuck all about banding other than welding in a band in  Wink  
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 10:37
get a straight edge on your arch and measure how far the rim sits in. sticking out or "poke" as the youth calls it now can lead to shredding tyres and being tugged by the 5-0 (oo-err!) and of course the "haterz" are always going to tell you god will kill kittens for your poor decision or you'll kill innocent bystanders with your insurance unfriendly modifications.....
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 11:14
Wiping out bus stops full of orphan nuns!

They are insurance unfriendly, I still don't know of anyone who'll do it professionally and give you a certificate for road use.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 12:32
nothing to do with "haterz".
I personally love banded rims, and would have my winters banded tomorrow if anyone would give me an invoice for the work stating they were for road use and proof of their liability cover.
However they wont... and i'm not opening myself up to the possibility of prison and a squillion pound compo claim in the event that I'm the one that kills the orphan nuns.

When i was young and stupid, I wouldnt have cared, but family and actually  having things I really dont want to lose changes things.
To be honest, i'd love to see the liability cover for half the "businesses" advertising all sorts of scary mods in the sake of fashion nowadays... i suspect i'd have a long wait though.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 16:42
you would have a long wait Tee3 - a while ago you could get away with "it was already like that" but now like most things in life (maybe for the better) someone has to be accountable for whatever they have done be it good or bad

Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 20:36
If done properly what is the problem then? 
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 20:52
best welder in the world still wont be able to prove conformity to any standards as it will cost too much to test properly 

Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 21:03
Fair enough i spose. 

Happy van, hold out for a nice set off alloys LOL
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 21:41
Originally posted by Bromy Bromy wrote:

If done properly what is the problem then? 

cos the way Insurance is nowadays if its not declared and it causes an accident YOU are liable.
but you cant declare that youre driving around on wheels that arent suitable for road use... as they will decline cover.

People will try and tell you that bandits are illegal. Theyre not. There is no specific regulation that states you cannot run banded wheels as long as theyre fit for purpose.
The problem is that you cant declare them as a modification as the insurance company will ask for proof that theyre suitable for road use. This will have to come from whoever makes them... and nobody will give you that because their liability cover wont cover them for road use.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 22:12
Understood fully now Thumbs Up
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 23:06
Y know the orphan nuns in the bus stop..? are they wearing rubber?
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 15 at 09:58
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

Y know the orphan nuns in the bus stop..? are they wearing rubber?
always
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
happy van View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happy van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 15 at 17:18
thanks for all your help.i went and got a set of monoblocks instead  
Fuck them and there law .
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 15 at 20:29
Hmm i like monoblocks! Thumbs Up Suit the wagons too imo
 Post Reply Post Reply