The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JX Head Gasket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JX Head Gasket
    Posted: 04 Feb 15 at 20:27
Due to an annoying oil leak I'm going to have to renew the head gasket on my Multivan, subject to the surfaces being good I'm hoping to get anyway without removing too much and just lift it clear enough to clean up the mating faces and renew the gasket, so....

Is the head on a JX engine fitted with bolts or studs??? If it's studs my plan has already failed.

Cheers

Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 15 at 20:59
My money's on studs
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 15 at 22:05

I seem to remember that when I stripped my old JX down for bits, the head was retained by bolts.

Got some piccies somewhere, but my old PC had a fatal cardiac arrest before crimbo so I'd have to search the old hard drive for 'em (might take a while).

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 15 at 22:16
Cheers Chappy, don't worry too much though buddy.

I thought it would probably be bolts as most modern-ish engines are, it's got to come off so I'll find out then anyway, but it would certainly make it easier for sneaking a new gasket in.

I might go for a quick re-torque first and see if that stops the weep, if it works that'll be a first.
dave friday View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 15 at 22:32
Stretch bolts [you have to replace them]where is the oil leak from on the head?
1992 1.6td syncro
Evsi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 15 at 22:53
As Dave said, they are stretch bolts. It would be easier to remove the head completely and make sure the head isn't warped and that you get all the old gasket off/blow out bolt holes etc.

All the best.
It's not rust, they're heat blisters....
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 15 at 23:01
I must have missed the jx bit Embarrassed
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 15 at 23:27
Deffo bolts.

Also there are two types, hex and splined.

There are differing torque/degree setting values between the two.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 15 at 23:42
Always go for the spline stretch bolts best to look at the head gasket first to find the leak ,if your not sure pressure test and skim anything less is false economy torque to 29 45 54 ftlbs plus180 degrees new bolts as well good luck Windows possibly next week have fun ELVIS

Edited by Timjburrows - 04 Feb 15 at 23:51
Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 15 at 07:20
The leak is on the top back corner looking down on the engine (if you get what I mean), shame they are stretch bolts, kind of scuppered my idea of seeing if a re-torque will pinch it up.

Thanks for the info chaps.
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 15 at 08:22
It`s a nice idea Nugget.  Used to get done in the Ford dealership to cvh engines.  Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.    Do it properly. Then you can be filled with fear and dismay when you see the condition of it!!    You have little to lose by trying a torque down though.  

Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 15 at 09:33
Definitely stretch bolts - VW recommends replacement every time you open the head - a new set is under £20.

New bolt sets, gaskets, etc for your JX available from Brickwerks here

If you drop me a PM with your email I'll ping you a link to the service manual section for the JX. It should have most of the info you need to do the job.
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 15 at 23:55
You won't see many hex head bolts now...and you would never find a set new to put in in certain.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 15 at 23:56
The oil feed from the block to the head comes up next to the fourth head bolt on the right side of the head( standing at the back of the van looking forward).
Sounds like a leak from the cam cover gasket to me!
1992 1.6td syncro
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 15 at 00:13
The Bentley book says to reuse the 11 mill bolts,the book doesn't cover the turbo engine though!
1992 1.6td syncro
Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 15 at 01:06
Cheers Dave, I found another leak which I thought may have been the main contributor to my oily engine, a leaking fuel seal on the fuel pump boost shaft so fixed that, took it into work today and degreased the engine and blew it clean with the air line, had it running for 15 minutes, no sign of oil, drove it home and there's oil in the web just above the water hose inlet, I'll have another look tomorrow, I may just do the cam cover gasket anyway and go from there.
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 15 at 09:27
Use the vw cam rocker gasket it's one piece made of rubber and not the old cork and two rubber infills,they cost very little extra but seal very well
 Post Reply Post Reply