The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What have you done to your LT today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What have you done to your LT today?
    Posted: 02 Dec 14 at 14:55
I have just drained the water down as the weather is getting colder. Not saying I won't be using her, but I would rather top up the tank when we go than have to fork out for a new carver water heater.

Have you done anything to yours today?
Yes it's me!
kensr27sz View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kensr27sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 14 at 22:42
need to drain mine even though it doesnt work properly at the moment.
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 14 at 13:05
Nothing today - but that day I dropped in a gel air freshener and emptied the passive dehumidifier (it picks up about 1/2 pint a week at the mo).

The day before I stuck in some antifreeze - the water in the expansion tank was basically clear (water white rather than rust clear !) and no sign of any previous antifreeze.

So to achieve that needed to drop the passenger bench back down. Unclip on the right.
Lift it, swear, get out, open passenger door to do it. Unbolt drivers seat.

Try to unclip engine bay lid. Swear. Slide driver seat forward on its rail and lift it into the back.
Shuffle out the engine lid, lift *that* into the back taking care not to snag the dipstick - or drop it.

And *finally* check and fill with antifreeze.

I guess I was left wondering - why if the oil filler has a hatch, did they make the water filler so bloody inaccessible !
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 14 at 13:26
Originally posted by driveby driveby wrote:

I guess I was left wondering - why if the oil filler has a hatch, did they make the water filler so bloody inaccessible !

I thought that later engine covers had another hatch at the front, I was certain I had seen pictures of them. Having looked at the parts pictures, it appears not. 

Some of the German owners have put extra hatches in but they need to be more careful regarding TUV certification. Chandlers and boating places have weatherproof hatches which can be used.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 14 at 13:28
Hey thanks LTCamper.

It's a 96 model. I suppose - or hope - I don't need to get to it very often.
At least right now there's no sign of coolant leaks (crosses fingers over winter !)

Will look around see if there's a hatch I could cut and fit without disturbing things too much

Edited by driveby - 07 Dec 14 at 13:29
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 14 at 15:07
Mine has two hatches. Uberhare only has the one on his Florida
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 14 at 16:22
If people were to read previous posts, they would find all the information they require. 😂
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 14 at 17:20
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

PhilJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 14 at 14:46
Well it's that time so I though I'd better do some Christmas wrapping.
Put her away for a little while, new anti-freeze, internal water all drained down and a big bag of de-humidifying crystals inside.

Not a perfect fit but plenty good enough and less than £70 on fleabay

Hopefully keep the tin worms at bay!
Phil J - VW LT 35 2.4 D 1989 Camper
poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 15 at 21:14
Today I put in a new headlamp. fixed the horn with a tap from my hammer and replaced an exhaust rubber. All in preparation for this weeks mot. 

Wish me luck.
Yes it's me!
outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 15 at 08:30
Fabricating repair panels, one for under the drivers seat area, lots of bends and strengthening ribs to form, and one for the rear cambelt cover thats even harder to fabricate because i don't know what the original was like. 

Good luck with the mot to poptop2 
LT28 2.4TD (DV) Camper 'Morgan'(H998 RUM)
LT40 2.4TD (DV) Camper D562 RCY
Discovery 200 TDI
Discovery 300 TDIx3 (Tetley,Lileth & ????)
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)
John F View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 15 at 00:15
Changed the gearbox oil - only about 0.25 of a litre had leaked past the weeping output shaft seal, which was good news - and topped up the almost-empty (!) steering box with EP90. The steering is noticeably lighter now

And then I went around the steering linkage tightening bolts & eventually identified a mystery clunk as a worn ball joint on the centre track rod.

All in all, a productive evening.
'97 LR Discovery 300 TDi
'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE
'88 VW LT35 camper
'86 Honda CBX 750F
'82 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
PhilJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 15 at 18:20
Got a new MOT today - straight through - No advisories - even got a compliment about how well maintained it was. - He obviously didn't look that closely or must have been in a VERY good mood!

Still - good to go for her 27th year!!! May get to 200,000 miles yet!
Phil J - VW LT 35 2.4 D 1989 Camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 15 at 19:21
Thumbs Up

Nothing more needs to be said.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 15 at 22:55
Changed the leisure battery.
Yes it's me!
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 20:26
Not today, but recent fettling includes (pictures may or may not follow):
1) New cab centre console
2) New cross member on roof-rack plus central support and now stuck my canoe up there
3) Solar panel being installed *on top of* the old satellite dish so I can angle it at the sun to get a better feed
4) New cigarette lighter extensions front and rear
5) Foldable plinth for the porta loo!
6) LED lighting in the wardrobe that comes on when the door opens (nice!)
7) New taps in k*tchen sink (after my flood at Flordon)
8) Inside handle on sliding door... What a great mod!
9) Mozzie net curtains for sliding door
10) Ceiling spot lights in cab
11) Cab ceiling ipad mount for the little un
I could go on... ;)

-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
pinemartyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinemartyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 21:07
Is that a centre console on the engine cover? If so, I would be interested in where you got it as I've been looking for one of those.

John F View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 15 at 22:29
I fabricated a rear seat bench out of a couple of spare Range Rover seats for my forthcoming trip to Germany... then went down to the unit yesterday to fit it to the LT and found that my mates had welded a trailer A frame and a set of wheels to it...

Had to hitch it up for a photo shoot, hehe!
'97 LR Discovery 300 TDi
'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE
'88 VW LT35 camper
'86 Honda CBX 750F
'82 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 15 at 20:38
LOL, class John! 

No Jon, sits amidships under the dash. We like to keep the cowl clear for easy access
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 15 at 22:45
Get away with that round here ! It has seat belts !LOL
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>