The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT35 head gasket woes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 14 at 21:36
All a bit confusing 158`s  five cylinder are merc cdi engines and the four cylinder 158s are Mv Digifant engines  made in Brazil but i thought Vw went mec  CDI in 2003 and the van in question is 04

Edited by light - 29 Nov 14 at 22:40
johnw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 14 at 16:14
Yep, it's an 04 panel van. The "is it VW or Merc?" debate is a worthy discussion in itself, but allow me to continue. I agree about recon v. replacement engines regarding long-term cost and reliability, but I can't understand why it's not cheaper to put a new liner in, especially if the engine's likely to come out. I tend to think in terms of fixing the thing that's broke, especially when I can't afford 3k for a shiny, recon unit. Then again, I'm losing money thinking about it. I'm fascinated as to how I'm going to resolve this. LOL

wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 14 at 17:55
yes i know, its a tuff call if you can`t a££ord  the £3000, but, and this is the question can you afford the time off road again plus the agro and cost to repair if another liner goes, or, for that matter some other part, ie, a piston/ring, 
if you go replace the part thats broke route, i think you need to replace all liners and rings/ pistons while engine is out and stripped, did you say head was ok? if so  how much would  a short engine cost ?,

i have the 109bhp five pot, had her from new in 2004, has over 400,000 miles on clock, engine has never been touched apart from oil + filter changes before recomended times, and belt changes with water pump and coolant aditive changed at same time, so i know they can do high miles if looked after,
the other important part i think is that i was the only driver that drove my van

could be worth the recon in the long run if your the only one who`s going to drive lt, as you`ll treat the engine right, if you have other drivers that drive it with out you in the cab then i dont think it matters either way as regards recon or patch engine up, more than likely it wont be treated like you would ,

oh happy days 

sparklepig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparklepig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 16 at 13:29
I have the same problem. I know this is an old thread but everytime I search LT35 head gasket problems this is the first one that comes up.
Owned the van since spring and it pressurises up after about an hour. Pretty sure there is exhaust gas in the water tank and a couple of bottles of the head gasket fixer stuff have done nothing.
So this weekend i bit the bullet and removed the head expecting the gasket to be shot or like Johnw a cracked cylinder or something. All looks good though. Obviously I'll replace the gasket with a new one, but what else could be causing the pressure?
Again sorry for resurecting an old post but I'm at my wits end!
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 16 at 11:54
Cracks in the head. Unfortunately it is not uncommon. However small cracks you can live with.
My Lt 2,4D non-turbo consumed 1,5 liter of water in 600km. I then got hold of some engine block leakage stopper, and hasn't consume a drop of water since (6000km). 
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 16 at 14:18
Since you have bit the bullet have the head pressure tested, shouldn't be too expensive.
Even if the gasket looks ok, it doesn't mean it hasn't failed.
Hope it's a cheap fix but give it a few days for other advice.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

sparklepig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparklepig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 16 at 17:03
Update. 450 miles after replacing the head gasket there has been no water loss or pressure buildup. Very happy/relieved.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 16 at 19:25
Nice, hope it stays that way.Smile
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12