The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT35 head gasket woes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT35 head gasket woes
    Posted: 28 Nov 16 at 19:25
Nice, hope it stays that way.Smile
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

sparklepig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparklepig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 16 at 17:03
Update. 450 miles after replacing the head gasket there has been no water loss or pressure buildup. Very happy/relieved.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 16 at 14:18
Since you have bit the bullet have the head pressure tested, shouldn't be too expensive.
Even if the gasket looks ok, it doesn't mean it hasn't failed.
Hope it's a cheap fix but give it a few days for other advice.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 16 at 11:54
Cracks in the head. Unfortunately it is not uncommon. However small cracks you can live with.
My Lt 2,4D non-turbo consumed 1,5 liter of water in 600km. I then got hold of some engine block leakage stopper, and hasn't consume a drop of water since (6000km). 
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
sparklepig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparklepig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 16 at 13:29
I have the same problem. I know this is an old thread but everytime I search LT35 head gasket problems this is the first one that comes up.
Owned the van since spring and it pressurises up after about an hour. Pretty sure there is exhaust gas in the water tank and a couple of bottles of the head gasket fixer stuff have done nothing.
So this weekend i bit the bullet and removed the head expecting the gasket to be shot or like Johnw a cracked cylinder or something. All looks good though. Obviously I'll replace the gasket with a new one, but what else could be causing the pressure?
Again sorry for resurecting an old post but I'm at my wits end!
wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 14 at 17:55
yes i know, its a tuff call if you can`t a££ord  the £3000, but, and this is the question can you afford the time off road again plus the agro and cost to repair if another liner goes, or, for that matter some other part, ie, a piston/ring, 
if you go replace the part thats broke route, i think you need to replace all liners and rings/ pistons while engine is out and stripped, did you say head was ok? if so  how much would  a short engine cost ?,

i have the 109bhp five pot, had her from new in 2004, has over 400,000 miles on clock, engine has never been touched apart from oil + filter changes before recomended times, and belt changes with water pump and coolant aditive changed at same time, so i know they can do high miles if looked after,
the other important part i think is that i was the only driver that drove my van

could be worth the recon in the long run if your the only one who`s going to drive lt, as you`ll treat the engine right, if you have other drivers that drive it with out you in the cab then i dont think it matters either way as regards recon or patch engine up, more than likely it wont be treated like you would ,

oh happy days 

johnw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 14 at 16:14
Yep, it's an 04 panel van. The "is it VW or Merc?" debate is a worthy discussion in itself, but allow me to continue. I agree about recon v. replacement engines regarding long-term cost and reliability, but I can't understand why it's not cheaper to put a new liner in, especially if the engine's likely to come out. I tend to think in terms of fixing the thing that's broke, especially when I can't afford 3k for a shiny, recon unit. Then again, I'm losing money thinking about it. I'm fascinated as to how I'm going to resolve this. LOL

light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 14 at 21:36
All a bit confusing 158`s  five cylinder are merc cdi engines and the four cylinder 158s are Mv Digifant engines  made in Brazil but i thought Vw went mec  CDI in 2003 and the van in question is 04

Edited by light - 29 Nov 14 at 22:40
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 14 at 16:15
Thats not good news for you, a bit late now, but, why did sniff not come up positive ?, 

am i right in thinking you have a luton/box not a panel van, 
This recon engine is that as it says, ie, new pistons, rebored , shells, etc, etc, with c/head, or just another engine from another vehicle,  if it is the first then it could be your best option, especially if the vehicle is a chassie cab with a box on, besides you will then know the engine from start and be able to look after it with regards to oil filters, etc, etc,
i had this problem myself back in the 90`s with two lt40`s chassie cabs both brand new but i had large boxes built and fitted for both of them, both engines had gave up around same mileage`s, one van i had a recon from vw put in, the other i put a used one in, the recon cost then £2500 plus vat  fitted by vw, the other van cost just over a grand but was constant trouble till the day i sold it, the vw recon engine never give problem and that was sold same time as the other, so while £3300 sounds a lot, is it not worth it  with regards to your business and  reliability  to your customers, also you will have some warranty for the work should anything happen to that engine   

johnw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 14 at 12:54
Well it's bad news, a cracked liner in one of the cylinders. It's about 6 mm long from the top edge of the liner down the bore, and clearly visible across the top looking down at the block. My mechanic has stopped work, and told the repair shop with the CH to wait, since they are going to skim the head, re-cut the valve seats and fit new valve stem seals. He's already pressure tested the head, which has no faults.

My mechanic says it's going to be cheaper if I find a recon engine. Ouch Me, because although the labour here in Spain is cheap, vehicles and part here are much dearer. After a few calls, he came back with a price of 4100 Euros inc. IVA (about £3300 inc. VAT) for a recon engine from Barcelona, and that's for an engine swap.

I don't know what to do now. Is welding an option? Because compression gases are escaping through the cylinder liner, I don't think the head gasket is likely to be breached. The only evidence on the gasket in the corresponding spot above the cracked liner is rust-coloured hairline mark. The path of least resistance is through the liner itself, so even if I have the engine put back together I could run it as before, albeit with the annoyance of having to vent the cooling system every 50 or so miles. At least I could use the van, earn some money and get back to the UK where the repair options are going to be cheaper. Any suggestions?

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 14 at 19:01
Originally posted by wheresthatgonenow wheresthatgonenow wrote:

Has anybody checked the oil cooler for you, if this goes or o rings fail you will get pressure and oil in the tank , thinking out loud here could account for the small black lumps you say you have in the tank, also fits with the temp rising going up hill , 

John W, sorry chap the start should have said intercooler, not oil cooler,
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 14 at 08:38
Stu diablodubs merc camper has the 158 in it!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 14 at 23:33
The later Mk1 Sprinters did have a ~160 bhp diesel engine (i.e. the 316) but that was 2.7 litres and 5 cylinders. Certainly the UK Merc vans didn't use the engine from the LT (we had a fleet of Sprinters in a previous job, but sadly mostly 311s...) although may have been used in another Merc vehicle?
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
johnw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 14 at 22:14
So the LT's 2.8 l 4-cyl 158 bhp diesel is made by Mercedes exclusively for VW? Alternatively, which Mercedes runs with the same engine? I've never heard or read of Mercedes putting one their engines in a Volkswagen.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 14 at 20:25
The 158 is a merc unit!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

johnw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 14 at 19:03
The only similarities between the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and VW LT (1996 onwards) are the body shell and running gear. Even though the Crafter now comes off the same production line as the Sprinter, they've never shared diesel engines.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 14 at 15:54
think you may have more than one issue with this motor,  i`m pretty sure  this 4 pot engine is a mercedes one, so may be worth checking out other sites to see if this problem was common or maybe throw some light on it for you before it starts costing shed loads in attemps to cure it 
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 14 at 14:55
First engine I ever re-built was gear driven, an old ford V4.
So simple and yet modern engines use rubber belts.........

johnw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 14 at 14:44
Not convinced about the oil cooler. Wouldn't that just result oil and water contamination? How would it contribute to over-pressurising the cooling system? 

After a hill climb there'd be a litre of ejected coolant in a bottle that I'd rigged up to the overflow. On one occasion, despite already being a litre down on coolant, the expansion tank was full to the brim with the temperature over 100 degrees. The heater would be blowing cold air and the water level wouldn't drop until I could vent the cap, at which point the tank would drain completely and require the ejected litre of coolant to bring it up to the line. All of this with the thermostats removed. That's excessive pressure in the cooling system. I can only think that cylinder compression gases would do that.

BTW, thanks for mentioning that the camshaft and pumps are gear-driven on the 2.8 l Mk. II. I think it's a really cool design. See p.10 here for what looks like a Swiss-watch mechanism. Big smile

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 14 at 11:56
Has anybody checked the oil cooler for you, if this goes or o rings fail you will get pressure and oil in the tank , thinking out loud here could account for the small black lumps you say you have in the tank, also fits with the temp rising going up hill , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>