The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JX Engine Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howzxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JX Engine Help
    Posted: 13 Oct 14 at 12:51
Hi

I'm new to Brickwerks and indeed the world of T3's, VW's and indeed campers.

I picked myself up a T3 converted Panel van with a view to restore it as a bit of a project as just wanted something to tinker with in my spare time. I knew it was a non starter when I got it with owner reporting a broken crankshaft, not a major problem as was anticipating an engine change. 
However I have diagnosed it with loose crankshaft pulley which I can repair with some pins and the revised bolt so shouldn't happen again. Ideally I would love to keep it original and repair what I have got.

This brings to the 2 things I'm not too sure about, one is whether it is worth trying to repair...

1. I set the camshaft to TDC and noticed that one valve on cylinder 1 does not return to fully closed and there is a massive gap between the cam. I read somewhere that the pistons do not meet the valves in fully open position (not sure if this is true) so hoping that it has not been struck and requires new valve. Any advice would be great
  2. After setting TDC I went to lock the pump in place but it was no where near in line. If I do manage to repair should I line back up as it was before when it was running or reset and and check using DTI?
There are a few other bits that need repairing and finding where other bits go/do but this is probably the best place to start Smile

Thank you in advance

Chris
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 14 at 17:32
Well, you can't put the cam shaft in the correct position without first setting the crankshaft TDC. Which you don't mention doing. It could be that the valve on No. 1 has already hit the piston or is still hit by the piston.
If it were me, I would release the cam shaft so no valves are opened then try to turn the crank. (I don't know how to do this in-situ without a crank pulley) If you can turn at least turn it a bit, it might release the valve. If not, its head off and new valve.
Regarding timing, it's got to be dti (or by ear if you know what you are doing). You could do worse than read
 http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/the-definitive-smokey-jx-thread_topic33228.html
By the Maestro. All the things you need to know about the JX pump, camshaft, valves are all in there.
(I'm sure that you know this but it's a new pulley, belt and tensioner as well as the bolt. All usually available from Brickwerks)
Good luck
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
Howzxf View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howzxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 14 at 18:48
Thank you for the advice.

Sorry should have mentioned I set TDC on crankshaft also. I set TDC on camshaft then locked in place, released cambelt, tightened crankshaft pully back on so I could slowly turn over crankshaft to TDC.
Surprisingly I didn't feel any excessive resistance of anything hitting anything, in hindsight after your advice removing camshaft would have been safest option. 
Anyway, put cambelt back on so I could slowly turn over a few times just to see if anything binds or sounds like it's hitting anything. All seems ok..... except valve not returning fully up. 
Think it's best I take the head off before going any further just to see if it is terminal or not. If all looks good I'll get new parts before starting it up. 

Definitely don't know what I'm doing by ear so will source a DTI.

Fingers crossed, thanks again. 

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 14 at 19:20
sounds like its done the damage and slipped the belt. head off buddy worth a check anyway if the valves stuck open - could of damaged the guides

UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Howzxf View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howzxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 14 at 15:03
I now know what i'm up to the weekend, probably followed swiftly by sourcing another engine Smile
Howzxf View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howzxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 16:29
Well I finally found time to take the head off and I think i've had a lucky escape! no valve damage.

Didn't know if the crack in the pre combustion chamber was an issue so ordering another anyway. (anyone know how they come out?

Which doesnt answer why there is still a massive gap between the camshaft and the shim

Unless its hydraulic? found this which seems to indicate I don't have a standard solid head??

I sourced another JX engine with a cracked block just for some spare parts in case I needed them and noted that some bits didn't look the same.

Is there anybody that may be able help identify what I may have? also going to be checking engine code tonight to make sure.

Thanks
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 17:07
The head you took was a hydraulic one.it looks like the lifters gone.to check remove the cam and swap lifter with another to confirm.the precombustion chambers knock out with a punch put through the injector hole.check your original block matches the original head as it is possible to block one oil hole up and use the other head has been seen before
Howzxf View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howzxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 08:15
Thanks for the help Tim

Will check the block to see what I have got, i'm assuming ill need a different head gasket depending on what the arrangement is?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 08:41
Oh yes and they come in different thicknesses depending how far the pistons protrude
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 08:56
See this thread for how to establish the gasket thickness.
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/engine-cutting-out-after-20-mins_topic86809.html

Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
Howzxf View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howzxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 09:37
Brilliant, thanks. Got a DTI on order to time the diesel pump so now I have a second use for it.Smile

The gasket I took off had 2 holes in it but every gasket I have looked at on part websites for the JX engine don't mention the second oil return hole? 

Apologies if I'm missing something but do I need to search for it under a different engine?

Chris
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 13:21
I think jk engines are all shined tappets don't know why?the 1600 diesel car engines were also shimmed up to about 1986-7 then the cars went hydraulic but the T3 didn't don't know why? So you need to find the engine code on the machined surface onthe block gust below the top of the block front side of the vacuum pump hope that makes sence
Howzxf View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howzxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 14:57
That does make sense, I've been searching for diesel parts fitted to a T3 rather than this specific engine. I'll check the code which will make it easier to identify the bits I need.

Thanks
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 15:44
Could be sb Ra mf jr to name a few
Howzxf View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howzxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 19:56
well, just checked the engine code and its an AAZ. I didn't think it was as told it was a JX but there is a lesson in checking. Should probably change the heading of this thread now :-)
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 22:00
Originally posted by Howzxf Howzxf wrote:

well, just checked the engine code and its an AAZ. I didn't think it was as told it was a JX but there is a lesson in checking. Should probably change the heading of this thread now :-)

ROFL
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
 Post Reply Post Reply