FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

battery isolator switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rendersonique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rendersonique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery isolator switch
    Posted: 10 Oct 14 at 13:51
Yes Gav,
Its kind of two in one really. I know that batteries do suffer from extreme cold, but while ever they are connected to other things there is always the likelihood that its going to leak its charge. The isolator would stop that in the same way disconnecting the battery would. I know its not a massive issue to do this (if you have nothing stored on top of your engine compartment), but it still requites tools and the possibility of getting your hands dirty. The switches i am thinking of are like this:

You turn the red key pull the key out and take it away with you. This is ideal when laying it up for periods of time, and equally good if your parking it up in an area you think may be seen as a target. If its located in the cab area, or under the rock and roll bed it would literally take 20 seconds to render the vehicle un start-able. 

Edited by rendersonique - 10 Oct 14 at 13:52
nic View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 14 at 13:43
can't you just put the isolator on the earth cable from the battery under the drivers seat?

a previous owner did this on my P38 Rangie (they are renown for battery drain) and that works well..
http://www.fosterandday.co.uk
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 14 at 12:44
Just realised you're wanting to completely isolate the battery rather than just create a security feature/immobiliser. The electrics up front run off a separate lead to the starter, follow the leads from your + battery post and you'll see that one runs across to the black relay box in the engine bay.

To isolate all drain off the battery disconnect the starter lead and relay box lead off the battery post and run 1 x lead off the battery + into the seat area, then on the opposite side of the switch you need to connect the 2 leads you've took off the battery, one to starter and one to relay box. You'll be able to do it all nice and neatly with made to measure leads.

I don't think there's any harm in posting general ideas like this up, it's when people start posting up where to hide trackers etc that it gets a bit daft.

Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 14 at 12:00
No offence ment by me...   Coc was cash on collection. Sorry.
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 14 at 11:26
And, I just stick a 5w PV panel on the battery and forget about it till spring. cheap and effective.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rendersonique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 14 at 11:10
Cheers Gav Big smile . 
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 14 at 10:42
Don't take offence to some of the posts on here, you get used to it after a while. 

I'd extend your battery > starter lead through the firewall into the under seat area, mount a switch on a bracket under there and then run the lead from the switch back out to the starter. That way it's out of the way and in a dry and easily accessible for you. 

There's a good few companies trading on ebay that will make your leads to measure. Thumbs Up

Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rendersonique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 14 at 09:50
Well I thought the post was a perfectly reasonable one as fitting an isolator switch is standard practice in a lot of fields. 

Edited by rendersonique - 10 Oct 14 at 09:57
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 14 at 22:52
It would be a very very long list. Simpler to list the trustworthies.   :)

Anyone interested in a spares in derby area.   Everything available except steering wheel , tyres, rota arm and battery. Must sell fast coc.
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 14 at 22:35
Who's the dodgy one to look out for then?
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 14 at 22:34
Just take the battery leads off.....put it on some shit wheels and let the tyres down....take steering wheel off, rotor arm etc etc. plenty if ways to do it without extra wiring, and as Charlie says without advertising
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rendersonique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 14 at 15:24
Originally posted by TransPorscher TransPorscher wrote:

Including 1 from Derby !!! Angry

Can I assume this wasn't aimed at myself?
TransPorscher View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 14 at 14:35
DON'T advertise the location of your switch on a public forum !!!!! 

There's too many dodgy C*NTS on here !!!!

Including 1 from Derby !!! Angry

Edited by TransPorscher - 09 Oct 14 at 14:38
Charlie

Small Moves Big Grooves! WeFunkRadio.com

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rendersonique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 14 at 14:33
All good advice there. Smile

I have a Lotus Elise and the battery dies after a fortnight or so if left connected. I have pretty much got through 4 batteries in the ten years I have owned it so i know what you mean about lack of use. However, My 1275GT had one of the isolators on, and it was nice to know that if i parked it anywhere, just removing the isolator switch would probably be enough to cause an issue to a thief. I know the old saying if somebody wants something enough they will find a way to get it, but I am thinking to try and prevent the opportunist more than anything. If they are limited to time then it may just be enough to put them off. 

As you so rightly say, removing components from the engine bay would do a similar job, but I like the idea of having a dedicated solution so I don't have to get my hands dirty in the engine bay. 

Also, to maintain the charge via a battery conditioner would be a bit difficult because it will be in storage so there will not be an opportunity to use a power source. I guess the isolator would allow me to sleep a little bit more soundly at night knowing that I was making some effort to stop it being taken, but also help the battery by removing the opportunity to drain Wacko

Edited by rendersonique - 09 Oct 14 at 14:38
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 14 at 14:10
Drain may be one factor on if the battery goes flat...But also I've had more batteries die though non use than use...   Your best off with a battery conditioner charger thing like a Ctek.   As far as security goes hiding a switch where no one else has is a good idea.   Or maybe better just to confuse the thief by allowing it to turn over but not fire..He'll just think its an old VW until the battery is flat! missing rota arm works well, or new sequence of spark leads or if its diesel put a switch the current to the stop start solenoid or even a tap on the fuel..   It'll start and probably make it to the first junction when the idiot will be stuck! HA HA 

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rendersonique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 14 at 13:56
Hi there,
I will be parking my van up for prolonged periods of time and i was just wondering if any of you guys have fitted a battery isolator switch to stop drain? I was also thinking that if the switch were removed during this time it could act as a bit of a security feature. If the answer is yes then I would like to know a where you have positioned the switch so I can have some ideas.

Thanks in advance Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply