The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 AXD won't start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ayrshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 AXD won't start
    Posted: 22 Sep 14 at 13:20
I have a 2006 T5, AXD engine.

Go to it from cold, put the key in, starts up - everything fine. No fault codes shown.

Turn it off, then when you turn the ignition on, the immobiliser light stays on, the radiator fan comes on full and there's no connection on the diagnostic port when I look for codes.

Leave it for ten minutes and it's fine again - but only once.

Any ideas on this on folks?

Thanks.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 14 at 14:00
New one on me.  Obviously electrical, perhaps a dodgy connection somewhere between the main ECU and dash ?

Does it start and then cut-out after a few seconds, or not start at all ?  

If it was the immobiliser then they start and only run for a few seconds, then cut out with the immo error msg/light.

What happens if you switch it off after 30 seconds from a cold start ?  Trying to find out if the problem is engine heat related.
Ayrshore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ayrshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 14 at 14:22
It's not heat related - whether I turn it off and re-try 10 seconds or 10 minutes after starting it, it's the same.

When it won't start, it won't fire at all - just turns.

Like you said, it's a wiring or relay problem, I was just looking for suggestions in case someone has come across it before.
Ayrshore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ayrshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 14 at 18:57
I'm suspecting the "109" relay under the battery, they're not expensive so I've ordered one from VW, will find out tomorrow if I'm right.
ubishere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubishere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 14 at 22:49
Hope it fixes the problem, let us know just in case This happens to mine at some stage.

Just got a 2005 axd and seems like they can get expensive when things go wrong, just out of interest what work have you had done on your so far please?
Ayrshore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ayrshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 14 at 16:38
Nope, it still does it.

This morning, the problem didn't occur - I changed the relay anyway, and it seemed OK - but it's still doing it, just not as often.

So far, just some bottom arms and one strut top mount (a total swine), and the other strut top mount needs done now too. When I got it, it had a problem - the seller thought it needed a turbo, it was just a broken wire to the MAP sensor. :)
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 14 at 09:31
No other electrical irregularities anywhere?

Edited by Rebuild - 24 Sep 14 at 09:32
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
ratbus View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 14 at 21:08
I had this problem, the fault with mine was with the crank shaft sensor, its a pain to get to (behind the power steering pump) but may be worth checking it out?
nativeboards.com

This weeks bumper sticker: If it swells- ride it

I have two signatures!
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 14 at 02:02
I think it is unlikely in this case, but IIRC if the engine is cranking too slowly the ECU won't fire the injectors.  Does yours sound like the starter is cranking a bit slower sometimes ?
Ayrshore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ayrshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 10:35
Well, this is back, with a vengeance.

Initially, this problem would occur once out of every 20 tries - the rest, it starts fine.

Now, I'm lucky if it starts one try out of 20.

When I turn the igntion on, normally I can hear the fuel pump prime, the glow plug light comes on for a few seconds and the immobiliser light goes out.

When it's not going to start, the glow plug light doesn't come on, the fuel pump doesn't prime and the immobiliser light flicks out for a split second alongside the ABS light and comes straight back on.

It's defo an electrical fault. If anyone has diagrams for the ignition and glow plug circuits, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 10:47
This is a real good one???

A few basic things, check the battery voltage not running and running, low battery output or too high?

Do you have a Non VW stereo system, these can block fault code reading?

If it was the crank shaft sensor I would expect a fault code?

If you can plug in check engine temp sensor readings, could they be reading too high?

Has the fuel filter been changed, no lose wires under bonnet?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 10:51
Sounds like an ECU fault to me.  Especially with the fan coming on and no comms.  Will it communicate with any of the other controlllers?  (Cent elec, comfort etc).  If you send it to http://www.ecutesting.com they can test it and if it is knackered they will code the immobilizer and everything else from your old unit. 
2004 2.5 174
Ayrshore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ayrshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 12:03
It 'connects' to the engine ECU, but attempting to do anything other than read the ECU ID and soft coding results in a "no communication" message.

All the other units are fine - and all report no communication with the engine ECU, and intermittent "terminal 30" or "B+" supply implausible errors.

Looks like I've got wiring/relay issues - hopefully not an ECU, but if it is, so be it, it'll need a new one or a repair. I normally use BBA Reman for that kind of thing.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 12:16
Good luck anyway..  I just found this on the ECU Testing website (if you haven't already seen it)  http://www.ecutesting.com/vw_common_ecu_failures/edc16u_ecu_golf_caddy_touran_transporter.html 
2004 2.5 174
Ayrshore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ayrshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 13:34
Sounds like exactly my symptoms. Better get on with ripping the ECU out then!

I'm guessing the terminal 30 relay is controlled directly by the ECU.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 14:08
It's the other way round.  The terminal 30 relay supplies battery voltage to the ECU.  (It's the relay 109 you changed before.)  There are no guarantees that it IS the ECU at fault but I reckon it's worth getting it tested given your symptoms.
2004 2.5 174
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 21:52
Hi, had a similar issue on a T5.1 same missing terminal 30 and no power at the power supply relay, 140 amp fuse had blown under the battery that suppiled power to the relay, when i checked the wiring at the relay it had a short further stripping and testing found this.....

Wiring had rubbed on the clutch bracket you can make out the discoloration on the metal where it had been shorting, wiring issues were not uncommon on the early T5 behind the dash, i have highlighted where the affected wiring was once the dash was removed. 

Hope it helps the loom routing hasnt changed from the early T5 to the T5.1 
VW WORX VCDS retrofitting and coding carried out, cruise control, mfsw, dis, locking adaptions pm for a quote
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 15 at 23:19
Another value adding feature!

Must add this to the list.

The only good thing is at least they put a fuse in or it would have gone up like French Filth!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 15 at 23:39
Excellent post MT Thumbs Up    I have to agree with Al about the addition of that fuse!  That's a big scary bite out of a cable that size.  Looks like a fight between fuse and cable, and the cable nearly won!      
2004 2.5 174
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 15 at 00:06
Another place the wiring rubs is against the dash brace support behind the glovebox, but that tends to affect the lights if it chafes there. Power supply relay is behind the bcm cant remember off the top of my head the location number.
VW WORX VCDS retrofitting and coding carried out, cruise control, mfsw, dis, locking adaptions pm for a quote
 Post Reply Post Reply