The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1996 2.6i brakes and air filter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldmaninDorset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1996 2.6i brakes and air filter
    Posted: 08 Sep 14 at 12:16
Hi

I've read what's been posted about air filter and front brakes.  Does the Pipercross filter PX1322 fit?

Has anyone got part numbers for the front discs and pads?  I asked the technical department at EBC using info gathered here and elsewhere.  They came up with a 'No' for the discs and a 'Possibly' for the pads.  I want to fit EBC Yellow Stuff pads which have a massive heat range.

Thanks.

Great to have a VW bus again.

Richard

PS Just received this from VW Heritage.  It's kit for the front brakes.  

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Big-brake-kit-for-T3-with-15-wheels-%28SA-spec%29-%5B15%5D-251698001_act_shop.product_pID_60871509.htm

Edited by OldmaninDorset - 08 Sep 14 at 12:27
Richard
1996 2.6 Caravelle
1977 1.6 Bay
TransPorscher View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 14 at 18:59
Disc :  22S 615 301

Pads :  ATE 4462U  or Textar T446

Pos VW numbers 07.8105  1127.2 / 1126.3

I got these numbers from a German guy selling the front brake kits a few years ago.

Try searching Ebay for :

granada brake pads 446

Or ask on : http://www.syncrosa.co.za/forum/

Charlie

Small Moves Big Grooves! WeFunkRadio.com

OldmaninDorset View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldmaninDorset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 14 at 19:50
Hello TransPorscher

Thanks very much. 

I contacted VW South Africa and they put my on to a supplier over there.  As yet I haven't heard from the supplier.  I'll ask on syncrosa.

Where do you get your spares and who fitted your LPG system?
Richard
1996 2.6 Caravelle
1977 1.6 Bay
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 14 at 19:09
Silverbullet on 80-90 has a 2.6, he might be worth speaking to. As for other spares, we seem to manage amongst us, there's a few who have contacts in SA etc. The breaker's yard on the other forum can be very expense, be warned !! better to make private contacts in SA. For you having a 2.6 it's only the front brakes & engine fuel injection that might be problematic in regards of getting spares. Most engine & other bus mechanical parts are VW or Audi so easy enough to find in the UK.

As for LPG conversions :

Don't go to Avon Autogas in Bristol as the quality of work and service is absolutely shocking !!! My van was totally bodged by the muppet who runs Avon Autogas. When I went back for a problem to be fixed, he uncovered a wire join that he had made by twisting together and taping up, right under my eyes !!! That's one thing you don't do is to show your customer what a incompetent bodger you are !!! LOL It got better tho, in frustration over not finding the fault, he threw his hands up in the air and stormed out of his own workshop !!!! Shocked What a cock !!! I think the phrase is " cornered rat " looking for the only escape !!!!! I could go on in much finer detail about how shit this bodger's work is !!! needless to say I found another guy to get my van running properly. I bought a high quality CO / AFR meter and Hutch on this forum sorted out my LPG system !! 

There are other LPG installers who could do the work but I would be very careful before and after the insatall to make sure everything is done to your satisfaction & I mean 100%, not 95 % !!!  In other words there's a lot of bodgers out there !!! Speak to at least 3 or 4 previous customers of said LPG installer before you commit to having the job done. You need to know what the after sales service is like & how the installer deals with fault finding etc after the install. Some wash their hands of the customer and their work once you've taken the vehicle away. Don't pay for the work until you are 100% satisfied the installer has done their best to make the install tidy and professional. Just to put things into perspective there isn't really a proper government body or BS standard to which LPG bodging installs are carried out to !!! They're made-up 'safety bodies' or organisations. Things may have changed recently ? I don't know & stand corrected !

I would start by asking questions on this forum & 80-90 about people's experiences with LPG conversions and installers.

Good luck !!!  Wink

PS. Don't take recommendations from non customers of said installer, just because they might be mates or use the same forum etc .......... It's happened on this forum in the past, much to the forum owners annoyance !

Edited by TransPorscher - 27 Sep 14 at 14:34
Charlie

Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 14 at 19:30
Silverbullet's 2.6 is also converted to lpg so he will be able to give better info relevant to converting yours. Transporscher's and mine are both manual KJet injection rather than the motronic that you have. Definitely worth doing though.
South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 14 at 21:29
Iam off to the homeland in Feb so let me know what you need. Cool
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldmaninDorset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 14 at 21:36
Thanks Charlie and Brian.

There are three LPG installers relatively nearby: Poole, Yeovil and Taunton.  The BRC system may be favourite as it seems to be popular, therefore servicing shouldn't be a problem.  And I want to up the gearing (contacted Aidan).  The most immediate thing is a new air filter as it still has a South African one fitted which is very dirty.  Silverbullett suggests Pipercross.  They have a free delivery offer during September.

I've had an e-mail exchange with Siverbullett - very knowledgeable man.

Re brake discs.  I've found a manufacturer in South Africa - Alfa Brakes.  They are quoting discs at £26.92 each but DHL want £238.30 to deliver a pair to Heathrow.  I've asked if they can send them by sea.

I'm not sure about pads.  I want to fit EBC Yellowstuff but they can't match the original pads exactly.

I haven't joined 80-90 or syncrosa yet.  There don't seem be many 2.6s in the UK.  Silverbullett reckons six.  Mine has been featured on here before  - see my post 'Previously on brick-yard'. 

You may be interested to know that JK Insurance have agreed to a valuation of £10,000.

Richard 
Richard
1996 2.6 Caravelle
1977 1.6 Bay
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldmaninDorset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 14 at 21:44
Hello T3 Nev

Thanks.  How strong is your suitcase?  A pair of discs weighs 15kg.  Which bus have you got?

Richard
Richard
1996 2.6 Caravelle
1977 1.6 Bay
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 14 at 22:01
Hi Richard, I have a blue 2.5 Microbus, almost identical to Brians. We have extra large reinforced suitcases Wink
Nev.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldmaninDorset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 14 at 22:56
[QUOTE=T3 Nev]Hi Richard, I have a blue 2.5 Microbus, almost identical to Brians. We have extra large reinforced suitcases Wink
Nev.

Very handy.  Do you have a supplier in mind?
Richard
1996 2.6 Caravelle
1977 1.6 Bay
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 14 at 14:38
I've heard in SA general motorfactors / suppliers carry many spares for these buses. I'm surprised Heritage here in the UK don't offer discs & pads for the 2.6 microbus / caravelle. I think later 2.3's also have the vented front discs. Perhaps Andy e on here could confirm this ?

Charlie

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldmaninDorset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 14 at 15:25
I think the problem may be low demand and the huge cost of airfreight for getting small orders here.  JK told me they couldn't supply the discs.  Heritage have limited stocks of the complete big brake kit. 

Discs usually last for a few years, so the quote of £292 for a pair delivered to Heathrow is better than a bus with no brakes.  The brakes on my bus are OK; I'd prefer very good!  I recently upgraded the brakes on my 2001 Rover 45.  It has EBC Yellowstuff pads; new discs; recon calipers and braided hoses: the braking is phenomenal.
Richard
1996 2.6 Caravelle
1977 1.6 Bay
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 14 at 16:22
Perhaps we need to identify a shipping agent that sends containers over the water that small consignments can be added to. I know that Craig in Fleet shipped a Syncro over from SA last year so perhaps he will know of a suitable agent. Can't remember his user name at the mo but I'm sure it will come back to me when I stop trying to remember.
South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldmaninDorset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 14 at 16:43
Good idea Brian. Maybe Craig will read this and jog your memory. Wink
Richard
1996 2.6 Caravelle
1977 1.6 Bay
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 14 at 17:16
I will try and find a reliable shipper as thats the main hurdle. There are still tens of thousands of 2.3/2.5 /2.6 being used daily so finding parts isn't a problem. Although VW has run out of quite a few items now. Midas is a big SA chain which used to carry loads of stuff, Brake and Clutch used to have everything regarding the obvious. Autozone is another parts supplier. 
andy e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 14 at 18:08
Originally posted by TransPorscher TransPorscher wrote:

I've heard in SA general motorfactors / suppliers carry many spares for these buses. I'm surprised Heritage here in the UK don't offer discs & pads for the 2.6 microbus / caravelle. I think later 2.3's also have the vented front discs. Perhaps Andy e on here could confirm this ?

Yes mate, my 96' 2.3 had solid discs but my '99 2.3 has vented discs. The vented ones are great and I'd like the same SA set up on my doka.

Cheers Andy e
Andy e
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldmaninDorset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 14 at 18:13
Originally posted by T3 Nev T3 Nev wrote:

I will try and find a reliable shipper as thats the main hurdle. There are still tens of thousands of 2.3/2.5 /2.6 being used daily so finding parts isn't a problem. Although VW has run out of quite a few items now. Midas is a big SA chain which used to carry loads of stuff, Brake and Clutch used to have everything regarding the obvious. Autozone is another parts supplier. 

Thanks Nev.  That'll be a big help.
Richard
1996 2.6 Caravelle
1977 1.6 Bay
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 14 at 18:32
The other alternative regarding the vented front discs is to study disc catalogues and compare dimensions etc. This is what I did when I designed the front kit sold by Ultimate Engineering.Most big brake component manufacturers have online PDF catalogues. I suspect the hat height will be the hardest to match ? But then if an easily UK sourced disc can be found for £20-30 I'm sure someone could make it fit (properly) man did invent metal working tools afterall !!

Andy, are the front caliper piston sizes the same as German built T3s ? Just wondering .......

Charlie

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldmaninDorset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 14 at 19:15
The technical man at EBC said he couldn't match the discs from his extensive range.  He can get near the pads although the EBC ones are 55mm high.  Apparently OE are 49 mm - I haven't measured the ones fitted to my bus, yet.    I got the disc measurements from Silverbullett, confirmed by an SA suppliers website.  It seems that the large front brakes are indeed an SA special.
Richard
1996 2.6 Caravelle
1977 1.6 Bay
andy e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 14 at 19:18
Not sure without looking but with my doka I already had a futbus brake kit fitted (inferior to the SA brakes) so I never kept the solid disc set up from the early 2.3. My etka list SA models so I could look at part numbers if that's of any use.

Cheers Andy e
Andy e
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>