The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which engine to fit AAZ or SB?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rust & Rot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which engine to fit AAZ or SB?
    Posted: 26 Aug 14 at 09:24
Hello
I have been offered two replacements for my blown engine (1.6d), a AAZ currently on an T3 so all set up and ready to go and a SB that will need converting.
The AAZ is £350 the SB £150.
AAZ 75hp the SB 80hp.
Going onto a five speed box.
Really don't know the benefits of one over another. Looking for mpg as well as more top end.
Any advice gratefully received.
Jon
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 14 at 11:27
The sb is only 80 brake when fitted with the intercooler chap. But it also has a better pump with a good boost pin fitted. I've personally killed two aaz lumps in my van but have been unable to finish off the sb despite driving it like a twat for the last four years+. Difficult call to be honest.
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
Rust & Rot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rust & Rot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 14 at 11:39
Originally posted by fatboy fatboy wrote:

The sb is only 80 brake when fitted with the intercooler chap.

It's a complete engine from a mk2 Golf GTD would it have an intercooler?
Sorry if this is a stupid question.
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 14 at 11:53
It may do but you'll have to find somewhere to put it and pipe to it. I didn't bother and it runs fine without. How mechanically minded are you? It's only nuts and bolts swapping the sb in but if you want ease the aaz that is already set up may be the easier route. You'll be needing a front mounted intercooler for the aaz as well. Would have to say that it always felt as though the aaz was quicker but that's subjective as I also swapped the gearbox when I fitted the sb.

fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 14 at 11:57
Either of them are going to feel quick compared to your original! Your gearbox might limit your top speed still but it'll certainly accelerate nicely and should hold speed well on banks.

fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 14 at 12:02
Another problem for the sb is that you will need a jx inlet and exhaust manifold and exhaust. Both of them will need a hole cutting in the engine cover for the pump.

Rust & Rot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rust & Rot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 14 at 12:48
Originally posted by fatboy fatboy wrote:

Another problem for the sb is that you will need a jx inlet and exhaust manifold and exhaust. Both of them will need a hole cutting in the engine cover for the pump.

Can't I use the inlet, exhaust manifold and exhaust from my current engine?

Is there anyway around cutting a hole in the engine cover, mines a pick up and that maybe a pain loading etc.
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 14 at 13:31
You won't have the problem with the engine lid then. You can't use your existing stuff because you don't have a turbo. Your sump will also need to be drilled for the oil return from the turbo.

Phil_B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 14 at 16:05
Don't forget to fit a spigot bearing in the end of the crank if you go for the SB, you'll also have to swap the oil pump and sump. I have no experience of that engine but we have done 46,000 pretty much trouble free miles since fitting our AAZ (we had the head gasket go and an oil leak within the first 1500 miles, both of which we assumed were pre installation issues) since then we have only done normal service and preventative maintenance. 

So perhaps the deciding factor might be history/mileage/mechanical condition of the engines, ours had done 112,000 when fitted, so now almost 160k and still feels as strong as when fitted although it does use a bit of oil, but still less than 1 pint/1000 miles.

Your other issue with either might be gearbox ratios, it could feel and sound very "busy" at motorway speeds on the 1.6d box. We have a petrol ABN box and use bigger taller tyres to raise the final drive ratio further. 3500 rpm equates to 70mph (true on gps) although we tend to driver more in the 60 to 65 range, average fuel consumption fully loaded for a trip is 33 mpg, worst 29 and best 36. 

1988 T3 Holdsworth Hightop AAZ conversion
 Post Reply Post Reply