The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9TDi AHU in T3 Van with flipped gearbox

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.9TDi AHU in T3 Van with flipped gearbox
    Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 18:14
Well been working on my van for nearly 6 months and I am pleased to say that last week I successfully completed a 700 mile shakedown. The work involved fitting a AHU 1.9TDi engine with a flipped upside down gearbox from a 1999 Passat VW donor car using Ultimate Engineering's adaptor kit. We also fitted the steering column and dash from the Passat.

Fuel gauge isn't working hence the white one cable tied to the side of the steering column. Wiper relay from Passat is plumbed in as it compliments the wiper stalk and it's multiple intermittent settings. MFA computer also all working with outside temp and mpg etc. Managed 45mpg on open road and 41mpg doing 70-80mph on the motorway at 3000rpm, well according to the MFA we did.

Liking the blue dash, after such an effort getting it all working it's the little things that make the difference. Earthed out any warning lights that were on and just extended the relevant wires from the engine bay to have everything we could working like the speedo and rev counter etc.

Using a JX KKK turbo that was brand new and came with the van instead of the AHU one. Made up a skid plate for the lowest part of the gearbox. Made the exhaust using some tube bent correctly and a silencer box with a flexi section. The wheels are Mercedes Steel wheels 16x7J ET 37 powder coated black. Have also used a 50mm AVO lowering kit from Brickwerks.

Mounted the intercooler next to the gearbox with a bracket while still using the original cowling. No skid plate in this picture.

Found some old AP rear calipers gathering dust for the last ten years which with the Passat vented discs fitted perfectly with a new bracket.

Fitted Sharan discs to the back with Golf Mk4 calipers utilising the old handbrake cables using a bracket we made.

Some things still to do:

Sort out the fuel gauge on the dash (have sent a PM to relevant person); Try and fit the remote key fob from the Passat as I already have central locking; Fit cruise control.

The there's the insides to sort out as we have a full width rock and roll bed but sparse storage options. Need a swivel base for the drivers seat as well. Might fit some electrics and leisure battery and maybe sort out the stereo. First though was get it mechanically sound which it feels like we made a lot of progress towards now.

Sorry for the briefness. I had written this out once but a careless swipe on my keypad took me back a page and deleted my first attempt. Being adverse to writing to begin with I feel content with my concise second go.

If you have any questions fire them at me and I will endeavour to answer them.

Edited by scudson - 05 Jun 14 at 21:14
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 18:55
Looks awesome. Very jealous of your fuel economy figures! Especially if they are accurate.
What revs do you get a 70mph?
Racebiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racebiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 20:11
Very nice conversion and good effort with getting the Passat dash to play.

Couple of Q,s

Have you managed to log your IAT for your intercooler yet.

Is the gear linkage yours or the one that Tim supplies now, and does it shift nicely with the gates working as they should.

Cheers
98 T3 PD130 Viking Top
A4 1.9 TDI
Classic RangeRover 3.9 EFI
scudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 20:49
From some cursory calculations, the first 450miles averaged out at about 38mpg. When I find out how much fuel is left in the tank I can make a better guess. We also had a small leak form the fuel tank that we discovered on the shakedown so that would adversely affect the result.

At 70mph the revs were about 2600rpm. I know that 80mph was 3000rpm as we didn't want to take it over that on the shakedown.

Had a look on VCDS when I was driving at some temperatures but wasn't sure what was what. What should I be expecting if the intercooler is working well?

The gear linkage is what Ultimate Engineering supply. It does the job but I wouldn't say it was 100% perfect, nearer 80% which for me is plenty and Tim pretty much said this to me before I purchased it. The size of the gear stick and the length of the linkage means that it was never going to be comparable to modern cars. After getting used to it it wasn't a problem, but it did take some adjusting as I normally drive a Golf Mk3. The girlfriend drove the van as much as me and she didn't struggle much once she got used to knowing where to find the gears. Am thinking about doing the cable gear change with Porsche Boxster parts though in the future.
Racebiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racebiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 22:29
For your intercooler I would have said 35 to mid 40's but I'm sure someone will be along soon to add a bit more info.

The cable gearshift I think was started by a few guys on here a while back but can't Remember who was posting about it, if Elvis Is about he should be able to help.
98 T3 PD130 Viking Top
A4 1.9 TDI
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 22:34
That's brill.

I've been using a cheap blue tooth obd socket off ebay (£5) and torque from Google play, it shows lots of good data on your phone or including intake temps.
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 22:34
Tim at ultimate engineering is now doing the cableshift
scudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 22:52
Here's a picture of how we bolted on the Passat steering column.

Here are a couple of photos showing how we got the Passat cluster to fit.

We had to cut a little out of the back of the cluster to make it fit over the master cylinder.

One job that was a little bit of an arse was taking apart the sliding windows to anodise the aluminium frame black and replace the draft excluders (or whatever they are called) as they were proper scummy.

When I get better photos will keep on adding to this thread. By the way I think the IAT was around 43degC.
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 23:06
Is the turbo presure being controlled by the ecu or ,as it would on the jx. I'm impressed the ecu does not care. Is it the jx exhaust Fannie also? Which inlet, jx or ahu?   The golf ahu turbo (mine) sits very low hardly any drain hight. Nice job mate. 6 months is a long project, Your mpg is envy able.     My ahu with Aiden box 4.14 box is very close to but not broken the 40 mpg yet.      I'm interested also in what air filter setup and how and where the airflow meter is mounted.   Mines using the jx filter Behind the light and the airlfow meter inline in some flexi hose to the stock inlet piping.    Nice job
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 23:24
Originally posted by Scimdiesel Scimdiesel wrote:

Your mpg is envy able.     My ahu with Aiden box 4.14 box is very close to but not broken the 40 mpg yet.     

seriously ?

my 1Z dragging a bungalow around on 255/55x18s has gone over 40mpg before many times Confused

thats with a 3H box and a conversion thats been in 5 years, aidan will build me a box later this year
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 08:00
My afn Caravelle returned 38 ave loaded up with family and trailer, and 42 empty. That was running 2900 at 70mph. 

Great stuff Scudson. Do you know which model passat the gearbox came from, ie which engine it was attached to? 
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
syncroandy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 09:04
Hi Scott, what speed sender are you using and how is the signal calibrated ?

The MFA fuel economy reading accuracy depends on this of course.
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.
DavidPallister View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidPallister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 10:56
How have you joined the Passat upper column to the T3 lower column? Are the splines compatible or have you had to fabricate it?
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 16:35
good work
your  rear brakes are interesting did you have to modify the disca at all?
, i have a rear disc kit that i am less than impressed with .it uses mk4 golf calipers i think, dont know what discs i have and the handbrake appears to have one off cables that are seizing due to the poor deign
Racebiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racebiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 20:55
Originally posted by fufflenarnia fufflenarnia wrote:

That's brill.

I've been using a cheap blue tooth obd socket off ebay (£5) and torque from Google play, it shows lots of good data on your phone or including intake temps.

Never new such a thing existed - just ordered one. Cheers for the tip :-)
98 T3 PD130 Viking Top
A4 1.9 TDI
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 14 at 17:56
Nice work mate, I really like the look of this. I'm putting a flipped box in my Bluestar using Tims old style linkage adapter, so it's good to hear it functions, even if not 100% perfectly.

Intercooler set up looks neat too, got any pics of the engine bay looking in from the top?
danozeman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danozeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 14 at 17:17
MMM. I keep reading reading these threads and makes me want a tdi.

How have you managed that column?   If you could fabricate power steering in there that would be neat.
scudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 14 at 23:35
Scimdiesel: The ECU controls the boost pressure on the KKK K14 turbo which is mounted straight on a JX exhaust manifold. We also used the Passat inlet manifold and air filter/air flow meter which was just relocated behind N/S rear light compartment. A sheet of alu keeps it from sucking hot air from the engine bay and instead make it suck cold air down the vent. Turbo is low and drainage seemed a problem when we first idled the engine. Wait and see on that one.

timmythedog: The gearbox came out of 1999 VW Passat 1.9TDI AHU 90BHP. It is slightly lower gearing than the gearbox that came with the AFN 115BHP engine.

syncroandy: The speed sensor is the one in the Passat gearbox. It's wires go to the Passat dash. Question - If my true speed  from GPS data is dead on what the speedo is reading, do I need to adjust it upwards to allow a small margin or will my MFA fuel economy be accurate already?

DavidPallister: We had to weld the splines section from the T3 onto the Passat column right at the base. We now have a steering wheel that you adjust although I don't think it will ever get used. The reason we wanted this was to use the stalks firstly and then also have the immobiliser work as intende

booted: We used Sharan discs and no we didn't need to modify anything. We also used the existing handbrake cables with a plastic pipe working as an extension of the outer casing for 10cm onto the back of the caliper.

GavB95: The intercooler just fitted in the space at an angle so nicely. Will need to get into VCDS and log the IAT and see if it's doing it's job.

After lots of tweaking to get the T3 alternator working and finding a few bad earths on a couple of the sensors we still need to tidy up some wires.

danozeman: Power steering isn't go to happen. We would need to change the steering rack and route pipes to the front from the power steering pump in the rear which probably wouldn't fit in the engine bay.
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 06:11
Regarding the speedo, I read somewhere that the speedo normally overr-reads by up to 10%, something to do with German TUV regs. Apparently it is possible to adjust it slightly in vagcom, but I can't find the article at the moment....... SyncroAndy, over to you
syncroandy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 07:45
Yes the speedo's over-read (by design) compared with the odometer. Unlike the other gauges which can be re-mapped in the eeprom, the speedo/odo related parts of the eeprom are checksummed, any modifications result in a defect being detected the odo display is replaced by 'DEF'. So I just set my VSS so the odometer is accurate, and live with the over-reading speedo.
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>