The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone done an Audi A4 tdi 1z conversion?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbarella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone done an Audi A4 tdi 1z conversion?
    Posted: 23 May 14 at 19:02
Hi everyone,
Am planning a coversion from our 1.6 diesel cs engine and want to go 1.9tdi. Someone on fb mentioned that an Audi A4 conversion is also possible along with the obvious usual vw golf etc conversions. Just wondering if anyone here has used an Audi engine? Have seen one for sale but want to check what's needed and the complexity before going any further, another fb member was uncertain due to the engine code 1Z it's a1996 engine. Any advice/options welcome
bobby-gg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobby-gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 14 at 09:02
I can't comment on a 1Z A4 conversion, but I did a Passat B5 AHU conversion last year with the longitudinal mounted engine and the oil filter side of the block was different to your CS block for the engine mount

I did manage to cut, drill and tap the block but an transverse engine may be a better option, an other option would be a custom engine mount if thats easier for you

but saying that I've just done a 1Z converson using a B4 passat engine, and used an AHU turbo and manifold as it mounts the turbo higher than the transverse turbo

The 1Z was really easy to wire in, so thats a bonus

I can do pictures next week if you would like
Barbarella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbarella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 14 at 17:43
Hi
Bobby-gg many thanks for your reply and apologies for taking so long to reply. As we are going to be paying a mechanic to do the conversion I think it might be better to stick with the transverse engine as you mentioned otherwise it might get even more expensive but I really appreciate the offer of posting pictures of the conversion you did.
Thank you again for the information :)
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 14 at 21:53
Will fit...is it actually from an a4 or an 80?
Barbarella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbarella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 14 at 11:19
It's definitely an Audi A4 but as I mentioned we will be paying someone to do the conversion and don't want to make it a more complicated and therefore expensive job and it seems using this engine although feasible is not straight forwards.
discipleofsketch View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discipleofsketch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 14 at 16:38
Mine has just been converted to a 1z tdi (from a 1995 golf). I originally had a 1.6 CS diesel, which was later swapped for a 1.9 1Y, which turned out to be drinking stupid amounts of oil, so now upgraded to a 1z tdi.

Should be pretty much the same for a 1Z from an Audi 80

Basically:-

The original CS diesel gearbox will be too low geared for a Tdi - it will pull wheelies off the traffic lights, but you'll be revving the nuts off the engine over 55mph. I've got a slightly higher geared petrol box in mine, giving me a bus that cruises at 60mph but planning a rebuilt gearbox with bespoke gearing when funds allow.

Lots of wiring - the loom will need altering, and a solution put in place to run the throttle

I'm using a JX clutch and sump

You'll need a custom engine mount and either custom exhaust or fabrication to make a standard exhaust fit.

I wrote a blog post with some pics and more details about it here

Edited by discipleofsketch - 03 Jun 14 at 16:51
1983 diesel Devon Moonraker with 1.9 1z tdi conversion
syncroandy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 14 at 18:06
^WHS. Transverse block is more 'bolt-in', the best donor harness I've seen is the 3A Passat, as it's a separate piece, unlike the Golf of the same age which is all together with the front lights etc.
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.
 Post Reply Post Reply