The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ Bluestar with flipped Audi box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 15 at 16:46
ive got poly ones and it made a big differance although they were replacing shot rubber ones so cant compare really
no noticable harshness
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 15 at 21:12
Every bush on this van was shot, the radius rod ones look ok but I reckon they're the originals. I'd go for rubber but rubber parts seem a bit hit and miss these days, everything perishes and cracks really quickly. I don't want to be redoing jobs due to crap parts so I'm thinking poly may be the way to go.

I'll see if I can drop enough hints for a set for christmas.... that'd probably be all I'd be getting though!
Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 16 at 12:48
I've splashed out on a few sets of poly bushes for Christmas, so far I've done the ARB and upper drop link bushes, I'd replaced the ARB ones with rubber previously but wanted to tighten it all up and get the best improvements out of the van. The upper drop links were the original VW bushes, replacing them has made a massive improvement to driving in crosswinds. They were easy to fit too, I cut the old one's out and the new ones popped straight in by putting them on the floor and applying pressure with my knee on them.

I've bought the radius rod bushes so they're next on the list to be fitted. Big smile

The van's now sat on steelies and M&S tyres all round, I'll be leaving them on till the weather improves. I don't reckon there will be much snow about but there's plenty of mud and sludge on the roads after all the flooding and rain around these parts. I got all the cars tucked out of harms way before they could float off down the river...phew! Shame the guys in Hebden bridge didn't manage to save their van. Cry

The annual Scotland trips coming up again soon, one thing i want to sort before then is to refit the stock JX induction system. The current set up is a cheap cone filter that gets pretty loud over 70mph. 

I've got a JX inlet and a spare AAZ inlet so will be adapting the AAZ one into JX orientation with some chopping and welding. 

And a random photo of the van...
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 16 at 13:13
As you say a lot off the aftermarket rubber stuff is a bit hit and miss.   Further to that Poweflex stuff is generally well thought about from the the fitting point of view making life so much easier..   The only non powerflex bushes I have are the originals in the rear arms which might turn into a bigger job if i touch it.  and the upper ARB bush you have changed.   
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 16 at 15:05
The upper ARB ones are well worth doing and were very easy to fit, I'd put it off after reading that they could be difficult to press back into the drop link but I wish I'd done them ages ago! 

Each time I've added a set of Powerflex bushes I've been really impressed with them. The Radius rod set is a nice bit of kit, once they've gone on it's just the front lower arm bushes and the rear arm bushes that haven't been done. They can wait until I need to work on something else in those areas though, otherwise like you say, it'll turn into a bigger job! 
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 16 at 15:49
The lower arm bushes are easy to fit...But the old ones are not all that easy to get out.    I used some pipe.  a threaded bar and some super thick washers to pull them through.     I did mine without removing the arms just dropping them down and supporting them which saved quite a bit of time.     
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 16 at 21:10
Ah, nice one I hadn't thought of getting to them that way. They've gone on the list for the next time I've got some cash free to spend at Brickwerks.
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 16 at 14:14
AAZ inlet now modified to JX orientation, it came out well:

I just need to knock up the blanking plate for the top and then it can go on. Hopefully going back to the stock JX set up makes a big difference to the induction noise in the cab. 
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 17:33
The stock induction system's now back on the van, I can't believe how much difference it's made. You can actually hear yourself talking now. 

I've fitted the stock plastic duct and insulated pipe down the back pillar and knocked up a silicone joiner from the plastic elbox to the airbox with a 65>60mm + short length of 60mm silicone hose from ASH.

I know this is nothing new but keep adding to the thread to keep me up to date. Not many pics as I did most of it in the dark after work. 

Those air box straps look a bit crappy in the pic, I'll take them back out and give them a paint at some point. 

Edited by GavB95 - 11 Feb 16 at 10:08
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 16 at 15:03
It'll be 3 years this weekend since I got the van Big smile Since the last post I've had to replace the head gasket after spotting a weep coming from behind the fuel pump. Luckily spotted it before it lost too much coolant and overheated. Head was checked for warps and cracks and was fine to refit with a new multilayer 1 notch gasket. You can see the old gasket was knackered...

I stuck a new water pump in whilst the coolant was out and it's back up and running sweet now. 

I've picked up these wheels to try out too - 15" AMG Mercedes Monoblocks, originally from a 190E Cosworth. 

Should look pretty good on there. Cool

Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 16 at 21:15
Like the wheel choice
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 17:26
Cheer mate, are you still running the Porsche alloys? Smile

I've done a few small jobs this weekend, I've fitted a new drop glass seal kit from Brickwerks (now shit loads quieter and no rattles) and a Dab aerial splitter making the dash/screen area look loads tidier with just one glass mounted aerial.

Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 20:15
Still on the Porsche wheels mate engine on the cards now but can't make my mind up which way to go
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 10:34
Just had a read on your thread, van's looking sweet. Tough choice on the engine, my TD's been good but it'd be nice to have more power for the hills and overtaking. Evil Smile

Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 13:33
I like the idea of keeping the lump VW but keep swaying towards subaru due to the mass of second hand engines, parts and knowledge on the conversion. Rjes website has increased my knowledge massively and most the parts available for a easy installation.
Cheers 😀
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 16 at 16:53
Slow day at work so a couple more updates from the last few weekends.

I've fitted poly bottom arm bushes, they were surprisingly easy to do. I made a puller for the old bushes with a 46mm socket and a length of m12 bar plus nuts and washers. The new Powerflex ones just slotted back in their place, job done. 

The van's steering box linkage had been cut and shut together by a previous owner, I guess they couldn't get hold of a new UJ so just welded one one! Angry

It took me a while to track down a new linkage rod, but I managed to find one on Ebay.de from Tristar Connection. 

Old and new (repro) UJ and linkage rod....

It turned into a ball ache as the old UJ that had been mashed on didn't match the splines on the PAS rack and had bitten and torn the splines. I had to refile all the racks splines with a fine file which took bloody ages. Angry

Massive improvement now that's done, it's been like driving car and feels solid in the wind, before it would be needing constant input to correct the gusts from sidewinds. 

Repro pedal rubbers binned for some genuine ones I found in the back of the shed...

Geek

And I picked up another set of Merc wheels, I'm proper chuffed with these though. I need to drill them out to M14 and might need a 5mm spacer on the front as it's pretty close to the upper hub. They're 15" ET32 Strato Pentas, date stamped '91 so period correct. 

Bought a silver screen rip off from Just Kampers in their sale. I really don';t like JK but for £40 posted it's pretty good. 

And finally, just when things were going good it's started drawing air into the fuel lines, big fat bubbles are drawing up the inlet side from the filter which resulted in a breakdown on the A1M and a flatbed recovery home.

New 100% biofuel lines have been ordered from Brickwerks plus new Polymide tube. I'm just waiting on a big bag of stainless fuel hose clips from ASH but they're taking ages to turn up. Unhappy

Hoping to get it back up and running this weekend and then start playing with those wheels. Big smile

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 16 at 17:22
like the stratos! Cool
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 16 at 21:40
Cheers mate, I'm really pleased with them, they were a bit of a bargain on gumtree too.
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 16 at 11:03
Right, fuel lines replaced and back up and running sweet. I've replaced the rubber lines with Brickwerks 100% ethanol hoses (bought enough to do the Polo and Scirocco too), replaced the 8mm Polymide feed line, fuel filter and thermo valve and finished the job with nice new stainless hose clamps on all the joints.

The feed line from the filter had a swaged on end but the rubber line was buggered...

I cut the collar off....

Leaving a brass inset to clamp a new rubber line down onto...

The other rigid lines on the van didn't have inserts in the ends so I cut lines from a scrap Audi and had a couple I saved from the Mk3 donor. Cup of hot water got the fuel lines flexible enough at the end for the inserts to start to push in and then tapped them home gently with a mallet.

Job done...

Budgie7 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budgie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 16 at 08:37
Love the new wheels Gav, if you get fed up with them anytime give me a shout lol and we will do a deal again. All the best
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>