Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ Bluestar with flipped Audi box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 15 at 18:44
It is probably the gearbox Mike. They tend to be a bit grabby from 3rd to 4th, also its hard to get the oil level right without it spewing oil everywhere unless you get the breather setup right.
mike1978 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 15 at 19:19
Yeah - I reckon you're probably right ! Mine is fine between 3rd and 4th - it's just stiff between 1st and 2nd and notchy between 2nd and 3rd - learnt to live with it!

I did find the shift ever so slightly better with half a litre less than up to the filler hole. But I've filled it back up to the filler now I was worried id knacker it for lack of oil in the right places!
---------

1989 T3 Bluestar AFN TDi Flipped Gearbox
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 15 at 20:38
Mine has a slight notchyness to it, more so from 1-2-3 and smoother from 3-4-5. I too put that down to the resistance on the selector shaft before it gives and pops into gear.

If you pop the back/forth cable off at the gearbox and move the shaft by hand you feel that 'notch'. Fine tuning on mine was just to get the selector centred as 1st/2nd was too low to the left and to get the fore-aft throw positioned nicer.

Not cheap for the kit but it's got the van working again, got us away on holiday and now means I can use it to crack on with clearing and renovating the house. Too many bloody projects!

Edited by GavB95 - 23 Feb 15 at 20:39
Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
mike1978 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 15 at 20:51
I'll have a quick look under the van at the weekend then, see if I can get it better. When I'm at idle with my foot on the clutch all the gears select smooth as - it's just when driving I get the notchy ness - prob just my gearbox!
---------

1989 T3 Bluestar AFN TDi Flipped Gearbox
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 15 at 20:39
Bit of an update... I've been running the cable shifter with no issues other than one cable persisting to pop off the ball joint on the gearbox, it's now secured with a wire and has been fine since. The change is good and looks wise it is growing on me.

I've finally got round to fitting the front Avo springs and bilstein dampers, I ended up cutting a ballpoint off as the hex bolts were knackered and the hex on the bottom of the ballpoint was rounded do I couldn't split it that way.

I made a quick trip over to the lads at Brickwerks on Friday (thanks for the stickers and key ring) and picked up a new balljoint and a few other odds and sods and now it's back on the road and driving sweetly. I put new rubber ARB inner mounts and poly lower drop link bushes on whilst I was there and it's now much better in the wind. I'll go for poly upper drop link and arb inner mounts when funds allow.

New 70mm lower ride height on 14s...

Next plan is to swap the tyres from the steelies to the Carat alloys and get the tracking checked and sorted soon too, so that might be a trip back to Simon for some magic working on it.

I've got her booked in for a repaint on the front end next week so it will hopefully look a bit fresher once that's done. I picked up a new BLUESTAR decal from Brickwerks to go on after the paint, I just need to decide if I should fit a hirschmann aerial in the a pillar whilst it's in for paint.

Edited by GavB95 - 13 Apr 15 at 21:18
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 15 at 16:50
Quick updates, front end repainted, new top tint windscreen, Bluestar decal on and didn't bother with the aerial - got one hidden under the dash. I repainted the grilles and spoiler with HB Body Texture Bumper paint - cheap on ebay and they came out well.

Chucked some more polybushes on, new sliding door bearings and bought a £20 set of Corrado mirrors for their electric glass tilt mechs as mine were flapping about - any one interested in the shells with wiring?

Had a few cans of colour matched aerosols mixed up to blow in some scabby seams and trims, mirror trims, rear bumper ends etc. Decent match and good service from http://www.woodautofactors.com/

Bought a set of Porsche boxster alloys but was torn between them and the Carats. Confused I've got the Carats back on there now fitted with a matched set of near new Conti Vanco's off the steelies and I like how it drives on them. 

Boxster rims are up for sale but every time I look a the pics I think I should put them back on. 

The folding table's stuck in the closed position so that's this weekends job to fix. 

Edited by GavB95 - 19 Jun 15 at 16:51
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 15 at 21:33
does look good on the porkies! Cool
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
cinimod View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Nice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinimod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 15 at 22:28
Originally posted by rowlesy rowlesy wrote:

does look good on the porkies! Cool

W.H.SWink
90 westy cali pop(sold)

GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 15 at 12:08
They looked good but the roads round here are shit and with 70mm drop it was a bit too bumpy/crashy. The balloon tyres on the 14s compensate for the drop. 

Had a few jobs on so didn't fix the table and the central locking's stopped working on the passenger door, Porsche wheels are sold now so no going back. Unhappy
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 15 at 13:13
you've spent to much time on the van...Not enough weeding the drive :)
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 15 at 15:32
plus the DIY high top looks shit
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 15 at 16:14
Lol, I'm renovating the house and the gardens have been neglected and gone to shit. I've ordered a paraffin flame gun for nuking the drive. Evil Smile 

DIY hi top? LOL That's a sign of proper graft up there, something I gather you're averse to! Wink

Budgie7 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budgie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 15 at 22:36
Hi Gav, how's it going ?. Did the clutch pipe hold up ok. What wheels are you running now.
I've put the empis on mine but not sure if I like them. Fancy some banded steels. But it's all money again.
Barry
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 15 at 15:32
Hey up Barry, I'm good mate, the clutch pipe is still going strong! I think I'll swap it to a braided line at some point though, we tour about in some pretty remote areas and I'd hate to be stranded. Thanks again for rescuing me last time! Thumbs Up

I've gone back to the original Carat alloys for now (14" on 185 70 tyres), I ran the steelies through winter and then swapped the tyres over to the alloys. 

I've been doing a few bits on the van but only small jobs as I have been sidetracked by the house we're doing up. I've rebuilt the central locking motors, fixed the table (stuck closed) and in doing that sorted out some rust that was creeping in behind the table panel. There's a previous repair there so I'll be going back at some point to dig around and make sure it's been done right.

C/L motors, cleaned up and rebuilt...

Threw a set of security screws on from Brickwerks...

Table out...

Rusty seam, tack welds visible from previous repair...

Cleaned up and lashed a load of vactan over it, then primed, seam sealed and repainted for now...

I've had the side plank off on that side too to check the seams and found a few areas just ahead of the wheel arch that need tickling with the welder. My welders playing up though (SIP one with erratic wire feed and a torch with a mind of its own) so I'm thinking of getting a new welder (Machine mart vat free codes just come through). I've got a Mini and a Mk1 Polo project that are eroding away so a decent welder would make my life easier. 

The side plank bolt receivers where worn so last night I built them back up with fibreglass and filed that out to give a nice snug fit on the bolts. 

glassed up...

filed out...

I found a decent stick on aerial for the radio off ebay for peanuts, works good and I've not had to drill any holes in the van. Happy days. 

We've planned a wild camping trip for the weekend, fingers crossed for good weather as this'll be the first overnight in the van this year (this year it's become a builders van rather than a camper van!) We're heading off with my brother in his Split, he's tempted to get a T3 so I might try to convince him of a swap once he's had a few beers. The Split's nowhere near as fast or practical though. Wink

I've had the van 2 years as of last week, time's flown by but it's come a long way in the time I've had it. Big smile

Budgie7 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budgie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 15 at 22:13
Hi Gav, still messing with the inside of mine, 70% done, but need get finished by end of month as it's entered in Tatton park for show and shine
Still not sure about my wheels, fancy banded steels .
Do these vans ever get finished ?
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 15 at 15:42
So the van went through the MOT but a few things were flagged and a list of jobs to do was drawn up. I've bought up most of the bits and had a stab at getting them done whilst I had a few days off work. I've replaced the upper wishbone bushes, track rod ends and an upper damper bush on the front end.

First time an easy out has actually worked for me...

Track rod ends done...

The old wishbone bushes out of the arm...

Pressing the new Lemforder bushes on with a vice and big socket, I supported the face of the bush with a shim from my wheel bearing puller set...

And built back up..

Here's the nearside bush before replacing, you can see that the bolt sits off centre and there's a bit of play fore and aft...

I need to find somewhere local that can do the tracking/alignment, it's needed it doing since I lowered it and after mucking about with the front end it needs a proper set up. As you can see the lowering jobs been scrubbing the tyres off...
 Ouch

I've got a couple of tyres fitted on some rattle canned steelies today so it can roll on them to and from the tracking centre.

On the rear I've fitted a new n/s engine mount as the exhaust knocked on the engine bars when reversing. I've been waiting to get round to doing this as I couldn't pull the main bolt that passes through the mount without taking the exhaust off. 

Whilst the exhaust was off I've fitted a stainless tailpipe too...

The offside rear wheel bearing has a bit of play and the backplate's flaky so I've got the bearing kit and a genuine backplate to fit. I had a crack at this on Monday but managed to shear the end off a 3/4" breaker bar trying to undo the axle nut. I'd got the blowtorch on the nut and then slotted a good length of scaff bar over the breaker bar but it wasn't budging one bit. I reckon it might be easier to get a local garage to buzz the nuts off and tighten them up enough for me to get home so that I can do the jobs myself. 

Finally I've got a bit of play in the steering UJ so need to pull that off and send it to the lads to see if it's good for exchanging for a rebuilt one. All smaller jobs but I'm hoping that those fresh bushes make a big improvement to the handling.

Edited by GavB95 - 27 Nov 15 at 16:26
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 15 at 16:16
We warned!, After spending some hours changing a rear wheel bearing when I assembled it it was no better!..  So i didn't bother with the other side.  They where and still are smooth running, not lumpy just looser than you'd expect from a POST WW2 vehicle.  The replacement bearings where proper BW's ones so not Shite.   Yes you need a very long braker bar+ scaffold bar and a massive socket :) to release them.  Much easier if the wheels on and the vans on the ground..... Doing them up my torque wrench was not man enough so I simply calculated at what distance in needed to stand along the scaffold bar and gave it a little more.   I forget the figures but 500 Nm rings a bell... Lets say its 500 Nm and forgive me is that figure is wrong.   That means 500 newtons for force 1 meter from the pivot point... I weight 86 KG *9.81 = 844 N so i need to stand 500/ 844 Meter ~ 600mm from the pivot.    You'll do more damage if you under torque the bearings as it allows stuff to move about so its better to give it a little extra 

Edited by Scimdiesel - 26 Nov 15 at 16:19
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 15 at 16:47
Cheers for the heads up! One side is acceptable and only has a negligible amount of play but the other is pretty sloppy so does need doing. I've got Febi Bilstein bearings, they're pretty good quality and what I use on my other VWs with no issues to date. Also got a pair of new axle nuts to go on. 

My Torque wrench only goes up to 210Nm so I reckon it'll be a jumping about on the bar and then torque back up to spec at the garage job. 
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 15 at 22:10
I did my wheel alignment temporaryly at home when i did my bushes used a angle gauge for the camber and tape measure for the tracking. I never got round to going to a garage that was a couple of years ago. Tyres wearing evenly and drive spot on
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 15 at 14:00
That's good to know mate. I've set the tracking up with a tape measure and have a magnetic camber gauge for camber. 

The vans handling has massively improved after changing those wishbone bushes. I'm considering changing the radius rod bushes now, does anyone know if it is worth going poly or is it best just sticking to OE spec rubber on these?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>